Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adalbort

Blues hire Hitchcock

As an avid Blues fan, I was -to say the least- surprised about the news today that Payne was fired, to be replaced by Hitchcock. Undoubtely, Hitchcock is a man of experience, and -some say- method. Do you folks think this was a wise idea from Blues GM Armstrong? Do you think he's got the potential to make this team into the POs?

Hitch has always been a defensive coach, they tried that route before with Andy Murray and it didn't work well

Best person for the job-yes. But long term he will hurt the development of youngsters like he has done in the past. Lets just hope he doesnt turn Tarasenko into Nikita Filatov...

Best person for the job-yes. But long term he will hurt the development of youngsters like he has done in the past. Lets just hope he doesnt turn Tarasenko into Nikita Filatov...

Unless he has changed considerably, I don't think he is the best person for the job. You can forget about developing young players, it isn't going to happen. I feel badly for David, it's not going to be fun when he comes back.

We have young forwards who need to be developing their skill game and learning to work together. Considering what Hitchcock does in terms of turning forwards into two-way players (not necessarily a BAD thing, but....), I worry about what this will do to their games. Also, if he isn't liked, I wonder which players (Oshie?) will potentially leave soon thereafter.

We have young forwards who need to be developing their skill game and learning to work together. Considering what Hitchcock does in terms of turning forwards into two-way players (not necessarily a BAD thing, but....), I worry about what this will do to their games. Also, if he isn't liked, I wonder which players (Oshie?) will potentially leave soon thereafter.

Hitch turns offensive players into grinders. That isn't exactly the same as creating two way players. Give up on creating odd man rushes, just in case you don't score and give up one the other way. Don't take a risk, don't step out of the safe system. Hold the other team off the board and somehow you'll score a fluke goal somewhere along the way to win 1-0. I can understand having to coach that type of system when you don't have much talent, but he has only been successful when he has had a deep team.

It'll be interesting to see what he does in his first game, tonight against the Blackhawks. I'll watch for that conservative style.

It'll be interesting to see what he does in his first game, tonight against the Blackhawks. I'll watch for that conservative style.

ditto!

Haven't lived in StL for a number of years so I am a bit out of the loop locally. But from the interviews on NHLN, he seems to be what they need right now, hold the boys feet to the fire. They have the talent, but seemed to have lacked the focus and drive in the past few years. Wake up call, yes, Long run...?

if he keeps the kids on his side he'll be just fine. but like said its not his style. so i see this year being better, but nothing good for the future

not a fan.

he took a lot of heat from the flyers younger players a couple years ago. they did not respect him since he apparently never played hockey. i found that shocking. is that true?

not a fan.

he took a lot of heat from the flyers younger players a couple years ago. they did not respect him since he apparently never played hockey. i found that shocking. is that true?

most of those flyer prospects had attitude problems and were shipped out.

The fact that Hitchcock doesn't have a strong background as a player isn't the problem. It's the way he handles players now, and the kind of hockey his teams play.

There are not that many coaches who were superb or even good players at the level they're coaching. The belief that one has to be good at something in order to teach or coach it is completely fallacious.