Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lefty718

**My Bauer X60's Still not fully Broken in after 4 months?**

Hey What's up Guys!

I picked up a pair of X60's around last May. Great skate all around, I really enjoy the way they perform and have grown on me with use. Would like to know if any other X60 owners have experienced what I have. So, initially right out of the box, after getting them baked I really didn't have much pain. Of course, you have that new skate stiffness that wears off once skating in them, but it really wasn't too bad and I got use to them fairly fast. However, it was I'd say a month after that, I started getting that real deep foot pain after you play (which is obvious when you break in skates-I'm use to it.) But my question is now-currently, I have owned these for about 5 months now, and playing around 3 times per week, though they have molded to my foot nicely and are now almost 100%, I noticed even after last nights skate I had some minor pain in my feet after playing. Nothing close to initial break in of skates, but still noticeable. Anyway, would like to hear from other X60 owners their experience with break in on these.

Thanks Guys!

3 possibilities, they don't truly fit your foot, the blade setup (rocker, ROH, pitch) is causing you to put pressure on your foot in a different way than you are used to, or you are tying them too tight.

When you put the skates on, leave every lace loose and adjust them from the toe to the top, I remember tightening them up way too tight and killing my feet, makes a world of a difference.

Can you pin point where the pain is on your foot? (ball, heel, arch etc etc). Pain in different areas will mean different things, like the posts above.

The pain is happening on the outer bottoms of both feet. But like I said before, it's nothing compared to what I felt when I was first breaking in but I don't ever remember owning a pair of wheels that took this amount of time to break in completely.

On a side note...last night was also the first time I felt some minor discomfort on ball of my feet as well.

Sounds like they might be a touch narrow for your feet. I have found, personally, that Superfeet work wonders for my feet in terms of pain in skates, but with me it's more of an arch support issue, my pain would be in the arch, with you it sounds like it's on the outside of the foot, more of a width thing. A good skate fitter might be able to stretch them a bit for you, otherwise you might wanna leave them just a bit looser like others have said. I've found with the Elite Oval laces I can leave my skates a bit looser than I otherwise would, because they don't seem to stretch or loosen at all through the course of a game (with other laces I often over tighten a bit at first so that they're still fine once they loosen up through the game, but I don't have to do this with the Elite Oval laces).

Try the superfeet yellow performance insoles. They lock your heel in place and stop your feet from elongating and spreading out width wise. They support your foot and provide much better support compared to the stock insoles. Also look into getting them punched at the balls of your feet.

Ok, not 100% sure about the pain on the outside. But sounds like your skates could be a bit narrow. I agree you might need them pushed out a little.

I also got pain from the x60/x7.0 (deep pain/ache in the middle of my feet).

My issue caused not by the skate, but by stress on the foot from not having a perfect fit/arch support and getting lazy muscles after the season ends.

Not sure if this is related to your issue, however you can find out by using medical tape to support across the middle/arch. Running also helps strengthen these muscles under the foot.

Long term fix is to get a solid footbed like Superfeet like Ponder suggests.

Hope some of this helps.

Aright thanks guys. It's funny you say that because my X60s are a D width, my last vapor 20s were an E I believe, so wider fit but were also a size too big. Now my fit in the current 7.5 is perfect, my toes brush the cap, but as far as width the guys in the shops who measured my feet said I was a normal width not wide, so how would I confirm this? Go get remeasured?

Or should I just fix matters with my X60s? I have a good skate shop here who carries yellow feet, but also told me they make custom footbeds when I inquired about the yellow feet.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I have yet to see an effective way to measure the width of feet. Our brannock devices have that supposed capability but I've never used it; I usually just go by experience and best judgement when it comes to width. What about the other LHS guys? Do you guys have a way to specifically 'measure' width as you would length?

So I spoke with my skate shop and they are going to punch the boot out a bit for me to see if that helps. They recommend doing that first before trying any insoles yet.

They also did tell me that X60s take a while (even up to months) to be fully broken in.

Gonna go today and have them punched, will get back to you guys with an update soon!

UPDATE:

Today, I went to my skate shop and explained to them where the pains in my foot were coming from. First thing was first, they recommended the Yellow feet insoles, which I went ahead and did. After having them put in, I noticed the pain in the balls of my feet was a bit less.

Now, the pain in the sides of my feet, they explained were coming from the outside widest part of my foot. (The area where when you press your foot expands the most.) So, they went ahead and punched both boots out in that area. Will update back here tomorrow when I have a chance to use them skating in my game tomorrow.

Sounds like they're doing a good job, also make sure to lace snugly, but not overly tight (overly tight lacing can cause foot pain and numbness even in skates that fit quite well). Hopefully the Superfeet and the stretching/punching gets rid of any pain for you!

My two cents won't help here, but I am the proud owner of X:60's that I just bought maybe a month ago. I play twice a week and after my second week on them I felt the skate was "broken" in. Great skate. Hopefully you find your solution. Like I said. No issues here. Sorry I can't help.

Update:

Looks like we got success!

After playing in last nights game, I no longer had the pain in the sides of my feet after skating. I also didn't have the pain under the balls of my feet (guess it's due to the new insoles.) The punching out of the boot really did help, and I'm happy to say they are finally feeling great on my feet. Guess it just took a bit of modifying to get the perfect fit, but now they're solid!

On a side note,

While at the skate shop the guy commented that my X60s weren't a great fit on me, just by looking at the lace up. They are laced fine from the toe, then get wider towards the middle of my foot, and then come back tighter towards the 3 top eyelets. He said that they should be a straight lace up the whole way up. Is this true?

Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah, 99.9% of the time, if a skate fits perfectly, there is a consistent width in the laces from toe to ankle.

Def not the case with my X60's or Vapors on me in general. Obviously they aren't fitting my foot 100%

Supremes are a better go for me.