Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenneth

CCM crazylite or U12 skate users

I tried on these skates yesterday since they weren't baked the foams around the ankle was really stiff so i don't think i was able to fully seat my foot in the skate.

I was wondering how much does your foot moves back once baked and broken in? I was in a 6.5D and my left foot was touching and my right foot cramped. I tried a 7E (didn't have a D in stock) and my right was brushing and my left i had to reach. My left foot is about half a nail smaller than the right.

Do the CL's get softer once baked and broken in? Both were pretty stiff so i would just go U+12 if the CL's are that stiff.

Haven't found a shop in GTA or fitter that is wiling to bake them for me to try if anyone knows who to go too please advice. Thanks,

Both those skates transform tremendously after molding. Too bad you can't find a place, we do it as standard practice. When we do it, it usually seals the sale. The skate is so much different after molding. They will still be stiff, but when the foams take shape, the stiffness isn't as much as an issue.

I would like to add to your post....most stores in my area have no more knowledge about a skate than they did20 years ago. Now a good pair of skates cost 500 plus. I am afraid of purchasing skates for 500 bucks if they don't feel right in the store. It used to be so simple, I am sorry I am no longer impressed with these new skates. All I hear at the rink is parents and players complaining about their skates. We had a clinic at our rink and a really good skater put on a pair of 100 dollar skates to show the kids that he was still just as good.

Both those skates transform tremendously after molding. Too bad you can't find a place, we do it as standard practice. When we do it, it usually seals the sale. The skate is so much different after molding. They will still be stiff, but when the foams take shape, the stiffness isn't as much as an issue.

This; it really is so much different. The skate is somewhat similar in fit to Supreme, so that should be an easy transition. It's really unfortunate how stores can't understand that the thermoformability (new word :) ) of the top CCM skates means that they can easily be re-moulded.

I would like to add to your post....most stores in my area have no more knowledge about a skate than they did20 years ago. Now a good pair of skates cost 500 plus. I am afraid of purchasing skates for 500 bucks if they don't feel right in the store. It used to be so simple, I am sorry I am no longer impressed with these new skates. All I hear at the rink is parents and players complaining about their skates. We had a clinic at our rink and a really good skater put on a pair of 100 dollar skates to show the kids that he was still just as good.

Local shop has no knowledge = local people complaining about skates

Bypass local shop and buy skates online fit-unseen = local people still complaining about skates

i think part of the problem too is that i'm going in during eveings/weekends cause of work and dealing with kids. I need to find a shop that the guys really know what their doing perhaps during the day and get fitted properly.

Actually, the U+ Foam gets stiffer once baked. That is straight from the skate lead at CCM.

I know the sales rep in the area told the LHS that to bake them during the fitting/selling process. They asked me if that was valid - it is.

Local shop has no knowledge = local people complaining about skates

Bypass local shop and buy skates online fit-unseen = local people still complaining about skates

I agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I love the sport and the products CCM, Bauer and other's produce. I have never seen a good skate make a poor skater better....only a good skater better. I just wish some LHS would take more time and accountability when they sell a 800.00 skate that unfortunately most will not benefit from.

I tried on these skates yesterday since they weren't baked the foams around the ankle was really stiff so i don't think i was able to fully seat my foot in the skate.

I was wondering how much does your foot moves back once baked and broken in? I was in a 6.5D and my left foot was touching and my right foot cramped. I tried a 7E (didn't have a D in stock) and my right was brushing and my left i had to reach. My left foot is about half a nail smaller than the right.

Do the CL's get softer once baked and broken in? Both were pretty stiff so i would just go U+12 if the CL's are that stiff.

Haven't found a shop in GTA or fitter that is wiling to bake them for me to try if anyone knows who to go too please advice. Thanks,

West star athletics in Mississauga might be a place to start for proper fitting

Technically length could be changed or at least the volume length inside a boot, since you're pushing against the foam on the heel during heat molding - everything is subjective. Remember the feel in a store is always completely different then on the ice, part of it is the grip of the blade on the carpet which might give out an impression that the foot is too loose inside a skate when it comes to lateral support and boot height.

Try the sports experts at Kennedy & 401 they have all the foam based skates including the old U+ reloaded and the new EQ50. Try to bargain from the start that you’ll buy a pair if they let you bake one or two models.

Cheers

It's Hockey Experts btw. And HX won't allow you to bake if you're not buying; don't tell people to try and cheat the system, just be honest :facepalm:

To the OP: try asking the manager if you could try the baking beforehand

yeah i would definitely buy "if" they fit I was upfront with it but they didn't want to oh well they had the lenght but not the width i need anyways.

I think what i might do is just buy a used pair and get them rebaked. Because if i had to pay for them to get baked and they don't fit it's pretty much the same as buying used since there is no returns.

Buying skates is so annoying because really you can't tell how they will be until you skate in them.

To answer the length question, the length won't necessarily change (maybe in volume, but negligible). However, these CCM U+ CL's are built a bit longer than skates that I've previously skated in. I'm currently an 8.5D in the CL's, but was a 9D in Reebok 9k's.

As far as stiffness, the skate foam doesn't not get any "softer". The foam just molds to your foot and the skate retains its stiffness (one of the main reasons why I love this this skate). Others have mentioned that it has a very Supreme fit and that is true. If you can fit in a Bauer Supreme skate then you can definitely fit in the CL. The molding process will take care of the rest. Only complaint is the scalloped runners and rocker runner that comes with the skates are crap. Just go get yourself the standard runners for the E-Pro holders. Hope this helps.

do you guys know if the reloaded will close up in the heel after molding? And do they mold as well as the newer skates? Found one in my size that i can get for just over 200 bucks new. Shop won't mold them they will let me try wearing them at home and i can return them as long as they aren't sharpened/molded. They fit ok but zero heel lock. But i love how much softer the top part of this skate is vs the new ones.

The volume in the CL isn't close to Supreme, especially in fore/midfoot.

The CCM's are slightly deeper over the instep. I failed the pencil test in the Supreme boot, but passed in the U+ 12. It is more narrow across the mid foot.

do you guys know if the reloaded will close up in the heel after molding? And do they mold as well as the newer skates? Found one in my size that i can get for just over 200 bucks new. Shop won't mold them they will let me try wearing them at home and i can return them as long as they aren't sharpened/molded. They fit ok but zero heel lock. But i love how much softer the top part of this skate is vs the new ones.

The challenge we see with all of the new high end skates in that there is actually no material around the most mechanical part of the heel to mold anymore. There is around the "ankle bones" but not in the position of the heel that matters. The focus on keeping the weight of the skate low, has created this situation. The term "heat molding" is actually a misnomer, used by hockey retailers to give a feeling of custom fitting. Heating a skate accelerates the breakdown of the liner. Research I have done in the NHL actually shows that the liner will change within 3-5 skates without heating, based on the mechanics of the foot and the temperature inside the skate when skating. One more thing, most heating is done with the foot in a non weight bearing position, usually when seated. If this were actual "heat molding" we would be molding our skate to a foot that will never be in that position while we are skating.