Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goblue9280

Winter Classic 2013

I'm salivating at a Detroit alumni game. Gordie, Stevie Y, Mickey, Shanny, Ozzie, Dom, The Russian 5 (with Vlad somehow involved... although probably not possible with Fedorov and Kozlov in the KHL), the Grind Line, Dino, Coffey, Chelios, Murphy, Kocur, Shawn Burr...

You know Gordie will lace them up for a shift or two if he can

Sounds like they are looking at a 2nd rink in Detroit for any additional classic events. I would be shocked if UofM pushed for a Michigan hockey game to be part of the Classic events... if they do a "Big Chill" event in the future, they'll want it to be the main event again.

GLI is that weekend anyway...and that never sells out at Joe Louis. They can easily do it outside.

I might as well start putting in calls; my gf is going to want to go and I should be living in MI by then.

GLI is that weekend anyway...

and I should be living in MI by then.

I don't know where my head is... forgot about the GLI, which you're right is perfect for the 2nd rink at Comerica. I will go to that as well... I haven't been to the GLI in 5 years, but use to go every year with my dad and brothers before life sent us to different states.

Are you going to be back in the retail hockey game when you move back to MI?

Dual announcements expected in Detroit and Ann Arbor tomorrow to officially announce the WInter Classic at the Big House between Detroit and Toronto.

UofM regents approved the lease this morning... $3 million to rent the Big House. There will be a liquor license, and advertising (no ads in the Big House for football games). http://annarbor.com/sports/regents-approve-use-of-michigan-stadium-for-2013-nhl-winter-classic/

its good to see the wings hosting.. as a flyers fan we've been lucky to be on both sides of this great event and now with the 24/7 series gaining even more steam it will be great to see such a classy organization like detroits inner workings and players. i have always respected the hell out of the wings, and one of my idol's nick lidstrom, so it will be a real treat for us hockey fans to see!

While I respect the Red Wings it's kind of annoying to see yet another repeat team in the Classic.

I guess that's good for the Rangers getting a WC hosted in New York but I think seeing two completely different teams would be nice.

On the flip side, having the game at The Big House is going to be sick. They already know that the venue works well so it's a no brainer to host it there.

From Puck Daddy: (in case you missed it with all the playoffs!)

After two seasons that changed the way fans see the National Hockey League and its players, NHL COO John Collins confirmed that there will be a Season 3 for "HBO 24/7: Road To The NHL Winter Classic," featuring the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"We're bringing it back," Collins told Puck Daddy exclusively on Tuesday, although he said a formal announcement is forthcoming.

There was no guarantee "24/7" would come back for a third season, after a change at the top at HBO Sports. The Associated Press speculated in January that HBO could "decide to keep the show, and possibly expand it from its four-week run, or move in a different direction."

Collins said there are going to be two significant changes for next season's production, beginning with the fact the NHL will be more involved behind the scenes.

"We're going to work a little more closely with HBO on production. We've been in partnership with them, but now that we have an original productions group here, we're going to work a little more closely with them on the production side," said Collins.

What does that partnership entail?

"I think it's going to be more of a collaboration," he said. "To the fan, they won't see any difference in production whatsoever. We're not going to limit access. We're not going to change any approval rights. There won't be anything different about this."

Keep in mind that Ross Greenburg was the guiding light for the network's sports reality programming. The former HBO Sports president is now set up at his own production company, working with the NHL in its "24/7"-like series "NHL 36" on NBC Sports Network and producing content for NHL Network.

The NHL's original production team working with HBO could mean Greenburg has some influence over one of his most successful creations. It also means that the NHL's production team can learn a bit from their HBO counterparts.

"We've made a significant investment in content on our side. We have our own production crews in-house, and we're going to integrate those crews with the NHL crews and get some practical hands-on experience," said Collins.

The other significant change: The NHL expects to have a Canadian network partner in presenting "24/7" next season.

"We're going to have another partner to announce, who will take the series in Canada," Collins said. "I think this is one of the benefits of having Toronto in the game. They're paying attention to this in ways that, frankly, they haven't previously in the market up there."

No word on which Canadian network, or production company, will join the fun.

We'll have much more with John Collins on Wednesday regarding Winter Classic ticket sales, the NHL's playoff ratings and NHL Network news.

This line scares me:

"We're going to work a little more closely with HBO on production. We've been in partnership with them, but now that we have an original productions group here, we're going to work a little more closely with them on the production side," said Collins.

Will we see the real NHL, like in the last 2 seasons...or a watered down "safe" version so as not to offend anyone!

Will we see the real NHL, like in the last 2 seasons...or a watered down "safe" version so as not to offend anyone!

I would expect a strongly watered-down version, at least on the Detroit side.

Mike Babcock has made several comments about really, really not wanting to do it. The entire team practically disappeared when they filmed NHL36 on Lidstrom...apparently, pretty much no one wanted to be on camera aside from Holmstrom. There are some hilarious guys on the team and a few that embrace the cameras...but I expect a LOT of closed-door and unannounced off-site meetings. They'll get some footage, but I don't expect it to be very representative of what actually goes on behind the scenes with the team.

Ordered my tickets yesterday for the WC, should be me, my son, my dad and my younger brother going... not sure if we'll be able to see the puck from row 85 in the corner, but I'm just excited to attend. Now I just need to save up for the plane tickets from Houston to Detroit.

Ordered my tickets yesterday for the WC, should be me, my son, my dad and my younger brother going... not sure if we'll be able to see the puck from row 85 in the corner, but I'm just excited to attend. Now I just need to save up for the plane tickets from Houston to Detroit.

how did you get tickets i want them so badly?

I signed up for both the Wings and Maple Leafs winter classic email lists the day the WC was announced. The Leafs did a ticket lottery (I didn't get picked) so I assume all of their tickets are gone. The wings on the other hand started going down the email list based on the order you signed up for the list. It looked like they were doing it in batches. I got an email from them with a code to buy tickets on one of the first days they started doing it.

Now their going to be doing a lottery for the alumni game(s) as that is going to be at Comerica and only holds a quarter of what the Big house does... I'm hoping to get selected for that.

Wow, looking back on how excited I was to score tickets. Told my 8-year old son the other day that it was being canceled... heartbroken doesn't begin to describe the look on his face. Now I have to figure something out for his bday/Xmas (about a week apart). I got an email stating I would be given the option of a refund, or holding onto my tickets as the NHL said they will be doing the next Winter Classic at the Big House. I think that sucks. I can't just let $700 sit around for over a year when I have kids to buy bday/xmas presents for. So I lose my place in line and possibly my chance at attending next year if I take the refund. They should just refund everyone, and "hold places in line" for those that had purchased tickets.

I'm so freaking mad at the NHL/players right now. Dad (still plays twice a week) was born/raised in Detroit... lifelong wings fans... would have been 3 generations and 133 years of Red Wings fandom between the four of us.

how does the NHL pick the two teams to play in the winter classic? I would think they would pick at least one team that won the Stanley Cup.

The home team has to be somewhere that can support ice on January 1. The visiting team has to have a rivalry or be a good TV market.