Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lefty718

Fractured Ankle... :'(

I know this is an old thread. But I'm 2.5 months out of surgery, broken fibula. The doc put a plate and 7 screws in to realign the bone. I'm walking ok, and therapy twice a week. My question is for others with the same break. Did your foot or toes stay numb and tingle after surgery. I'm going crazy with this constant tingling in my toes that starts at the ball of my foot.

I fractured my fibula in August 2014. I had a plate and screws in and then 3 months later the syndesmotic screw removed. My foot and toes did NOT stay numb after surgery. I would discuss this with your surgeon as persistent paresthesias is not normal after fibula surgery.

The numbness and tingling is still there but subsiding. I have been skating two to three times a week since Feb. I'll be having the plate and screws removed due to the irritation they cause in my skate. Anyone else have their hardware removed? 

16 minutes ago, Skater15 said:

The numbness and tingling is still there but subsiding. I have been skating two to three times a week since Feb. I'll be having the plate and screws removed due to the irritation they cause in my skate. Anyone else have their hardware removed? 

i have 2 pins in each Femur head, from when i was 15. bone has grown over the pins now. doc said it could have gone either way, keeping them in or taking them out after the healing, there would be arthritis either way. My parents had crappy insurance at the time, so we opted not to have them pulled down the road.  

My cousin had pins in his arm (from a really bad boarding check in HS, that broke his forearm all up) pins plates all that. he had everything pulled out a few years later to get on "The Force".  he's had no problems, still playing into his 40s.      i know neither are on the boot, but you probably did the right thing having it all out since it bothered you  
(and if you could do it).  

I'm so ready to get these screws and plate out. It's a constant bother, I can only skate for about 40 min before I'm spent. The crazy part is I have excellent range and strength. 

Hey man... really sucks, trust me I know, I've been there. The only thing I would strongly suggest is don't rush it! I came back to soon from torn ligaments [ankle] and in my fist game back broke my ankle, it was brutal. 

When you get the green light make sure you have a great Phiso therapist and listen to what they have to say. 

Good luck and hope your back stronger than ever... when you're ready :)

D: that sounds horrible. That puck must have been going pretty hard if it hit the boot and still snapped you up. There was a guy on my team a month ago that broke his and is out for several months. He is older though. When I dislocated my shoulder I skipped a week and that sucked enough.