Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gmayette1

Sherwwood PP09 Ryan pattern

So I've been the using the Reebok Datsyuk pattern for a while and have been pretty happy with it - passing and stickhandling feel great, but my shooting seems to have suffered a bit compared to other curves I've used. I really like the lie and the flat rocker on this pattern, but I'm thinking something with a little bit less curve and a little more loft would help with my shooting.

i really liked the Easton Iginla curve as well, but just didn't like the higher lie and the length of the blade. I'm not so much concerned with the type of curve as i am with the lie and rocker of the blade - i like a flat rocker and a somewhat lower lie. I was looking at the Sherwood PP09 Ryan pattern and was curious if anyone has used this pattern and if it might fit what I'm looking for. Any input on this curve or any other that may be close to what I'm looking for would be helpful.

The Ryan curve I used before is a wedge with a deeper curve and a slightly shorter blade than a P91A/Drury. Everyone around here is dumping SherWood for the most part though so I haven't seen the latest iteration.

Maybe look at the Easton Heatley, Warrior Kovalchuck or CCM Tavares? The Heatley and Tavares will be more tame curves like the Iginla in slightly lower lies and the Kovalchuck will be a deeper mid like the Datsyuk

I'm using the pp09 Ryan in a T90 - was previously using a T90 Bouchard... No complaints. Great for snaps, wrists and slaps. Decent puck control.

So I've been the using the Reebok Datsyuk pattern for a while and have been pretty happy with it - passing and stickhandling feel great, but my shooting seems to have suffered a bit compared to other curves I've used. I really like the lie and the flat rocker on this pattern, but I'm thinking something with a little bit less curve and a little more loft would help with my shooting.

i really liked the Easton Iginla curve as well, but just didn't like the higher lie and the length of the blade. I'm not so much concerned with the type of curve as i am with the lie and rocker of the blade - i like a flat rocker and a somewhat lower lie. I was looking at the Sherwood PP09 Ryan pattern and was curious if anyone has used this pattern and if it might fit what I'm looking for. Any input on this curve or any other that may be close to what I'm looking for would be helpful.

If you want something that's lower lie than an Iginla, without too much rocker rocker, a bit less curve, a longer blade, and a bit more loft, why not try an Easton Modano/Forsberg/Zetterberg/Cammalleri (aka Bauer PM9)? Every company makes a clone of this curve, it's a pretty mild mid-heel curve with a low lie and not too much rocker, seems like it could be a good fit for you. It's fairly closed though, only a touch of loft, which could be an issue. You could also try a Warrior Vanek/Easton Darby/Bauer P89, but these are much harder to find, pretty uncommon curves.

You would probably like this curve for the most part. The lie is pretty low, and it sits very flat (not much of a rocker). To me, it is similar to the above mentioned Zetterberg/Cammaleri/Bauer PM9 except that it is a bit more curve (heel/mid-heel) and open. Looking directly down at the blade, it has an almost angular quality, where the heel to mid heel is very straight then it seems to wedge open (not too crazy).

I am a fan of it, I came from the Easton Zetterberg (3/8" heel curve, neutral). The lie and rocker gives a lot of surface area physically touching the ice for me, and I find it is easy to lift the puck when I need to. The backhand feels the same as any of the flatter/closed curves I have used.

Also, the T90 stick the curve comes on is a fantastic stick for the money.

So I don't have to create a similar topic, is the PP09 just a renamed Spezza curve, as that's what a bunch of sites are saying, although I've heard that it was modified from the wood version.

So in reading descriptions of this curve (SW PP09 Ryan) on blade pattern charts, this curve sounds exactly the same as the SW PP26 Stastny curve just with a lower lie (5.5 vs. 6 respectively). Can anyone verify this for me? Because I had read elsewhere that the Ryan should be more similar to an Easton Parise /Bauer Staal and the Stastny is more akin to the Easton Hall/Bauer Backstrom.

I ask because I just ordered two SW sticks, one Stastny and one Ryan (specifically for the purpose of trying each out and comparing them), but they sent me two Stastnys instead. I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to go through the effort of trying to exchange for the right stick, or just returning one of the Stastny curves.

Anyone out there ever physically compare the two and can give a definite answer on this?

Thanks.

this curve is insanely strong for any shot. but not that good for passing. however i wish sherwood will make it in longer hosel replacement blade.

this curve is insanely strong for any shot. but not that good for passing. however i wish sherwood will make it in longer hosel replacement blade.

I love curves like that for passing. Then again, I use a heel - toe motion for passing and shooting.

Fairly unique curve... For sure, not a Drury clone. It's like a mix of a Forsberg/Drury IMO. Only the old Warrior Vanek came close to the Ryan... The P106 from Bauer could also pass as a similar curve (although P89 is closer)..

Fairly unique curve... For sure, not a Drury clone. It's like a mix of a Forsberg/Drury IMO. Only the old Warrior Vanek came close to the Ryan... The P106 from Bauer could also pass as a similar curve (although P89 is closer)..

Interesting to hear that. The P106 was a curve that I was interested in trying out in the near future. Been a bit hesitant to do so cause it's only offered on Bauer's higher end sticks and I'm not sure I want to sink $200 into an experiment that I may not like and use only a couple times.

And I can definitely see what you're talking about with the mix between the Forsberg/Drury - a Mid-heel curve with a neutral face. Kinda looks like a mid-heel version of the CCM Recchi/Tavares.

Super thrilled with the Ryan PP09 curve on the Sherwood nexon 12 stick. It is the best blade/stick I have ever used for quick, powerful, accurate wristers. Also has just the right blade for nice saucer passes. The blade has yet to chip after a nearly a year of regular use.