Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tommyj214

Anyone have the New CCM U+ Shoulder/Pants?

Thanks Gr8erade

No problem. I wanted to give the pads a little actual use and ice time before commenting on them. I know people here wanted to know about them under use, as opposed to just having fondled them in the store.

I'll keep you all posted as I break in the pants too.

I actually just picked up a pair of the pants as well. I've been wearing some pro stock Eastons, so these feel much, much lighter. I haven't had them on the ice yet though. They definitely sit lower on my hips and around the waist than the Eastons do, so I will have to get used to that. I like that they're two piece, so if I end up liking the hip protection more than the thigh protection (or vice versa) I can mix and match a little. I'll report back after a few skates.

Also, somewhere someone asked about the protection of the shin guards and the slots. I've had no problems with the protection from shots or sticks from the shin guards. And the back of the leg protection is the U foam, so it is thinner feeling for sure. But again, I haven't had a "damn, I wish I was wearing my Reeboks instead" moment yet in them. In my experience, the shins seem slimmer feeling than my 9ks, but they seem to have a little more room at the ankle, which for me is good because I wear my shins a little longer and over my skate tongues.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on the cl pants. Mostly, I'm curious as to how they compare as far as mobility to other top-end pants(like compared to totalone, u+ pro, tackla 9000, etc.) as well as pants a step down. Weight-wise, if a particular online retailer's measurements are relatively accurate, the cl's compare to most companies' lower level pants...which is pretty friggen light.

And it would be appreciated if a review is submitted in 3 months.

Sure. No problem.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on the cl pants. Mostly, I'm curious as to how they compare as far as mobility to other top-end pants(like compared to totalone, u+ pro, tackla 9000, etc.) as well as pants a step down. Weight-wise, if a particular online retailer's measurements are relatively accurate, the cl's compare to most companies' lower level pants...which is pretty friggen light.

Okay, these are only initial impressions, as I haven't skated in them. I don't have any lower level pants around to compare them to, because my other pairs are Eagle PPFs and an Easton pair I got from the NJ Devils, so they're noticeably lighter than either of those. I'd probably believe the measurements, as when you pick them up, you do think "wow, these are light."

As far as fit, as I said, they sit lower on my hips than the Eastons or the Eagles. In fact, I'd probably say that when you put the belts level, the Eastons rise 2 inches higher on the torso than the CCMs. That will take some getting used to. However, they don't interfere with the shoulder pads because they're lower. They have pretty wide legs. Split thigh pads. They've got a fair amount of stretch to them in the crotch and seat. I wear size 50 in the Eastons. I ended up with Larges in the CCMs. I tried the mediums because I can usually fit in mediums, but in the CCMs, they were too short in the leg. They feel they're going to be mobile, but it is hard to say because they're both new and I haven't actually skated in them. Initial impressions are good though.

..sorry Gr8erade, may I ask how tall you are..what size are your PPFs...I wear a 50 in Tacklas and with 6'' they could be a tad longer...but your CCMs sitting low AND running too short in the legs..how does the belt system in a L work out for you...? Thanks.

..sorry Gr8erade, may I ask how tall you are..what size are your PPFs...I wear a 50 in Tacklas and with 6'' they could be a tad longer...but your CCMs sitting low AND running too short in the legs..how does the belt system in a L work out for you...? Thanks.

5'10

The PPFs are 52s, but they are big on me. I pull the belt all the way in on the Eastons too.

It was the mediums that ran too short in the leg for me. I have a good 12 - 14 inches of loose belt on the large CCMs.

I just received the shoulder pads this week and skated in them a couple of times. Best shoulder pads I've ever owned. Awesome range of motion, it doesn't feel like I'm wearing pads at all. Gave and received a few checks with my drop-in buddies the protection is as good as my old Vapor 40's, but weigh about half as much.

My only concerns are about the durability. I would expect a set of $160 shoulder pads to last 2 years at least. I'm interested in seeing how the U-foam material stand up to abrasion over time. Also worried that the red "mesh" grill on the hard spine and sternum protector may crack after taking some shots and crosschecks.

to everyone replying to my post, what i wanted to tell you guys was that these pads are good in terms of the bicep and shoulder protection, spine (front and back). however they are inadequete in terms of the rib protections and i'll tell you why. last week from playing in a beer league game (div 2 of 7) i was battling for a puck on the boards and some guy just punched me from the back on the ribs (near the kidney) and it stung like hell, it felt as though i wasn't wearing any padding in that area...and this is comparing to the CL as they are my other pads...

on another seperate incident, i passed the puck back to the point and was heading towards the net, and as he took the slapshot i was trying to screen the goalie, and it actually hit me on the ribs in front and boy did it hurt like hell...i didn't have any broken ribs but it left a huge bruise, if i were using the CL's im pretty sure it wouldn't hurt as much

so thats my experience with the CL's so far

to everyone replying to my post, what i wanted to tell you guys was that these pads are good in terms of the bicep and shoulder protection, spine (front and back). however they are inadequete in terms of the rib protections and i'll tell you why. last week from playing in a beer league game (div 2 of 7) i was battling for a puck on the boards and some guy just punched me from the back on the ribs (near the kidney) and it stung like hell, it felt as though i wasn't wearing any padding in that area...and this is comparing to the CL as they are my other pads...

on another seperate incident, i passed the puck back to the point and was heading towards the net, and as he took the slapshot i was trying to screen the goalie, and it actually hit me on the ribs in front and boy did it hurt like hell...i didn't have any broken ribs but it left a huge bruise, if i were using the CL's im pretty sure it wouldn't hurt as much

am i the only one having a "wtf?" moment with this post? :scratchinghead:

perhaps im confusing myself, but what pads are you talking about if you are comparing to the CL, and you say that if you were using the CL's you are pretty sure it wouldnt hurt as much. i just got done with a game so it could just be me

Could you clarify? You were using the CL's for the punch and bruise or not?

am i the only one having a "wtf?" moment with this post? :scratchinghead:

No, he's all over the board with his posts. I have no idea what pad he's referring to and what he's comparing them to.

since the topic is already refreshed, i was wondering how well the pants loosen up, excited for my first game with them tonight =)

guys, I am looking for new pants and am in doubt between the u+7 and the u+12

having looked around the web I cannot find a comparison between those 2, can anyone on here help me with this decision?

Great thread for my current siutaion, fellas. And perhaps you could help. I'm somewhat new to organized hockey, and still take falls, run into boards, et cetera. I had kinda a not-so-great broken collarbone in college playing lacrosse, and I want a pad that will protect from impact "inward" (towards neck) on the shoulder. Dissipate it some, as that was the nature of my break. I just picked up the U+ 12's and also a pair of Bauer Pro Series.

Seems both will do a good job from that perspective, but I'd also like rib protection from shots and sticks. That is where based on just feeling and handling, the CCM's seem to be lacking. But I don't want to take away what other folks said about how the protective properties of foam can be deceiving based on just feel -- that said, the Bauer Pro's seem big, thick, and "feel" more protective in the ribs. But they are much heavier & restricive.

A good combination to me of both pads seems to be the now discontinued U+ Pro series. Since it's been a while now, can anyone comment more on the U+ 12's / CS / CL in terms of rib protection and overall protective satifaction? I may still try to track down a pair of the U+ Pro's used in a medium just for one more data point, but I'm sure your comments will help. Thanks in advance.

I have CL shoulder pads and am very happy with them. I wanted the lightest pad possible and these do fit the bill for me. They also have great impact-absorption via the caps. I did suffer a fractured rib while wearing these a couple months ago, but the point of impact was like six inches down from my armpit, and I don't think any shoulder pad covers you there. If you want full rib protection look into a padded shirt such as this one to supplement your shoulder pads:

http://www.unequal.com/product/Vapor

Thanks for the reply and info. I picked up a pair of CS pads, and also found some U+ Fit09's that I grabbed off ebay -- just to try on a couple more pairs. Slightly different fit between the Fit09's and he CS's, and the Fit09's certainly have more "bulk" to them, but it's tough to determine if that translates into protectiveness.

In the end it seems like both will work fine for the application, and they offer a well designed, protective pad. Thanks again.

CL shoulder users, how is the U Foam holding up? Anyone take a shot to the plastic in the sternum and/or spine area?

Went into the corner awkwardly reaching for the puck on one leg and got nailed. went flying into the boards with my spine, one of the hardest hits ive taken, the cl shouldies saved my back. the big plastic thing on the back. i kissed it when i took it off.

I *love* my CL shoulders. I especially love that they dont absorb sweat, which makes me feel cooler during the game. I love the fit of all of the CCM shoulders.

Anyone know how the CL or CS shoulders compare to the Bauer TO's? I upgraded a couple of months ago to the TO's as my LHS rep told me they were one of the most protective shoulders while being mobile. However, after a couple months of use I'm still finding them very bulky and they feel very restrictive vs. the thin cardboard like shoulders I had before haha.

Just wondering if the CCM's would be just as protective but would allow for more mobility and not look so bulky? I don't want to spend another $150 to repeat the same mistake again. Also, is there a big different between CL and CS? They look identical almost but there seems like a large price gap.

I bought my original pair of CCMs because of the lower profile without giving up protection. So yea, I think they're the best of both worlds.

I don't know the difference between CS and CL though. The CL was the only thing that was able to get me to give up my Fit09s.

Just wondering if the CCM's would be just as protective but would allow for more mobility and not look so bulky? Also, is there a big different between CL and CS? They look identical almost but there seems like a large price gap.

I asked that same question here a year ago, and the only response I got was people telling me I needed to learn the forum search feature…thanks for the great feedback guys! LOL… but I digress…

I have the CS shoulder pads, and I love them. They’re slightly heavier than the CLs due to some different foam materials, but still very light. With the CS you can adjust the height of the bicep guard, for some reason the CL doesn't have a velcro adjustment strap there. Anyhow, it’s weird because you’d think the more expensive CCM model would have more adjustability. It’s not a groundbreaking feature, just thought I’d point it out. I think the biggest difference is just more lightweight U-foam in the CL, but for me it wasn’t worth an extra $50.00 to shave 3 ozs off the shoulder pad weight.

Also, the rib foam in the CL felt a little more flexible, the CS is maybe a little stiffer, but both seem slightly thin in that area (as many shoulder pads are, except for the Nexus 1000, which seemed to have really thick rib padding). I don’t think you could go wrong with either CCM pad if they fit you well. I tried the TOs in my LHS and they didn’t fit me well and felt bulky. I’m 6-0’ 165lbs, and for me the medium CS are a great fit, really comfortable, ventilated, mobile, fast drying (don’t really absorb much sweat), and protective. I don’t play at a high level, so protection is not a huge concern. That said, s@#t happens, and I highly value my spine, shoulders, and sternum, all of which seem to be very well protected. BTW I have the TO pants, and they’re awesome... just thought I’d throw that in there.

I asked that same question here a year ago, and the only response I got was people telling me I needed to learn the forum search feature…thanks for the great feedback guys! LOL… but I digress…

I have the CS shoulder pads, and I love them. They’re slightly heavier than the CLs due to some different foam materials, but still very light. With the CS you can adjust the height of the bicep guard, for some reason the CL doesn't have a velcro adjustment strap there. Anyhow, it’s weird because you’d think the more expensive CCM model would have more adjustability. It’s not a groundbreaking feature, just thought I’d point it out. I think the biggest difference is just more lightweight U-foam in the CL, but for me it wasn’t worth an extra $50.00 to shave 3 ozs off the shoulder pad weight.

Also, the rib foam in the CL felt a little more flexible, the CS is maybe a little stiffer, but both seem slightly thin in that area (as many shoulder pads are, except for the Nexus 1000, which seemed to have really thick rib padding). I don’t think you could go wrong with either CCM pad if they fit you well. I tried the TOs in my LHS and they didn’t fit me well and felt bulky. I’m 6-0’ 165lbs, and for me the medium CS are a great fit, really comfortable, ventilated, mobile, fast drying (don’t really absorb much sweat), and protective. I don’t play at a high level, so protection is not a huge concern. That said, s@#t happens, and I highly value my spine, shoulders, and sternum, all of which seem to be very well protected. BTW I have the TO pants, and they’re awesome... just thought I’d throw that in there.

Thanks Winston, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I play beer league and a lot of pickup so I prefer mobility over protection. I'm sure anything is more protective than what I used to use. I may have to invest in the CS when I have some extra spending money since I don't see the CL's being worth the extra.

I have the CS shoulder pads, and I love them. They’re slightly heavier than the CLs due to some different foam materials, but still very light. With the CS you can adjust the height of the bicep guard, for some reason the CL doesn't have a velcro adjustment strap there. Anyhow, it’s weird because you’d think the more expensive CCM model would have more adjustability. It’s not a groundbreaking feature, just thought I’d point it out.

Incorrect. The Velcro to adjust the bicep guard exists on the CL.