Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpeaslee

Backpack bags. Whatcha got and how ya like it?

Looking to get a new bag soon, and I'm thinking I'd really like to go backpack bag route. It'd actually be for my inline gear, so no shoulders or ice pants, but i often throw in a spare pair of shins and gloves for extra skaters. What do you guys have and how do you like it. My two first options right now are the rbk 5k large/18"/senior or maybe the bauer apx bag.

I used the Bauer XR3 backpack for a while: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-equipment-bag-xr3-backpack.html

Pretty happy with it, despite having to tetris my equipment into it (with no shoulders or ice pants though, you should have no trouble). I'd still be using it, if it wasn't so difficult to cram into the itty bitty trunk of my car.

Looking to get a new bag soon, and I'm thinking I'd really like to go backpack bag route. It'd actually be for my inline gear, so no shoulders or ice pants, but i often throw in a spare pair of shins and gloves for extra skaters. What do you guys have and how do you like it. My two first options right now are the rbk 5k large/18"/senior or maybe the bauer apx bag.

I've personally tried the Easton S13 and the Reebok 10K. \

The Easton S13 was too small for me. I couldn't get all my gear to fit no matter how hard I tried. Seemed really cheaply made as well.

The Reebok 10K was a good size and had a lot of pockets. However, one of the skate pockets began to rip off after only a month. Not worth the $75 IMO.

I have the Reebok 10K and the skate pocket on mine has lost the stitching on the top so that the zipper can come off if I'm not careful. It's a quick fix though.

I keep a full set of adult ice gear in the main area. Taking out the shoulders and pants should leave lots of room for extra gloves and shin pads. Two top side pockets I keep tape and wax in one and shampoo and gatorade in the other. Large front pocket for shower sandals and towel. Front small pockets I use for pucks, laces and other knick knacks.

The 10K also has wheels and a handle so you can pull it too. I got mine at Canadian Tire for $50 on sale at Christmas time.

I use the Easton S13 backpack for ice. I can fit a full set of adult gear without too much fuss. Gotta be a little creative when packing it to maximize space but it works.

I like it. I like that is has a separate lined pocket for your helmet. Makes getting up and down the basement stairs a lot easier.

I had the 7K wheeled. Now its a higher number. It was the top of the line at the time. Half the pockets were useless. It weighed a ton and barely fit my gear. On the third use one of the plastic clips broke rendering the shoulder sling useless. Returned.

In my opinion - a gimmicky thing. I've done carry bags, wheeled bags and the backpack. In the end a good carry bag is lighter and easiest for an adult male

to lug around.

I use the Alkali Ca9 backpack and love it. The outer is completely waterproof, well ventilated, and built very well. Its tough to get a full set of ice hockey gear into it but its possible. With roller gear it would be plenty big for anything you would put in there. A bit pricy for 70-80 bucks, but you definately get what you pay for.

I use a Warrior Hitman backpack for my inline gear. Theres a little bit of room left over after everything is in it. I tried sqeezing my ice gear in it, but the pants wouldn't fit.

I had a CCM equipment backpack and absolutely hated it. It may be suitable if you're just carrying the bare minimum amount of gear to play roller hockey but I would not recommend it for ice. The quality also felt very cheap and it was a nightmare trying to fit everything in.

Just grabbed a Reebok 10K backpack bag at Value Village for $12.It's still in really good shape...but, I'm not sure I'm going to like. I can just barely fit my gear in it. But...The staircase into my basement is narrow...and I'm pretty much done with having to creep up & down. Been doing it since I moved here 4 years ago so, I thought I'd give it a try.

I got the Sherwood wheeled backpack bag from Costco about 6 weeks ago. The stitching has held up very well, and the balance when carrying the bag with one strap is much better than with a duffel-style bag. With two straps it's even better. I think it's because the equipment's centre of mass is between the hip and the shoulder, whereas with a duffel-style bag the centre of mass is around the hip. Having the back of the bag flat against my back is more comfortable than having a cylinder off to the side against my hip, too.

I have seen a few relatively new Reebok 10K backpack bags with blown stitching on the main zipper and on the skate pocket zippers. These were the ones from Canadian Tire.

I've got the Bauer backpack for ice. Everything fits good, but you have to have a system. Pants in first, shins go in the pants, elbows go in the shins. Should pads upside down in front, gloves in the shoulder pads. Socks, jock and towel etc go to left and right of the pants....then helmet on top. If you try to shove everything in, it won't work. I have a Warrior one for roller and that you just dump everything in. :wink:

For the people that use back pack bags, which bags have the most pockets? I've been looking to get one but I can never seem to find any pics or anything other then the standard ones you see online. None of them ever show any accessory pockets.

The Reebok 10K had the most out of the ones that I've seen. The Sherwood one that I have only has the skate pockets on the sides + 1 towel/clothes pocket (front) + 1 shampoo pocket (top front) + 1 tape/knick knack pocket (in front of towel/clothers pocket).

I have looked at the backpack bags and can't see how I could get my stuff in!!! Inline gear is thinner, I understand, so I could see adults carrying inline stuff in a backpack bag. The only people in my neck of the woods I see using a backpack bag are kids...

You just have to tetris your stuff in, similar to what Adam28 said.

My stuff all fits just fine, but the bag is too full to be able to be shoved into my trunk.

Shinpads in one hockey pant leg. Helmet inside the waist of the hockey pants. Shoulder pads around the hockey pants. Lots of room.

1 glove + 1 skate in each skate pocket, but my skates are only US size 7.5. The gloves could also go inside the shinpads.

I use a MEC brand back-pack style duffle bag called the Odyssey. It is large enough that I can put in a full set of player gear with some packing (primarily elbows in shins, shins in pants). It has an outside and an inside pocket for small stuff and I can get my change mat, shower towel, shampoo, skate towel, flip-flops, full sized water bottle, a dark and light jersey, dark and light socks and a small travel kit with extras like a hockey tool, honing stone, emergency sharpener, spare laces, spare “nuts and bolts”, etc.

What I don’t like is the fact that things have to go in and out in a certain order making changing a slower process. I also dislike that because the bag is on the change room floor you may need to wipe it back down before leaving (if you use it as a back pack), especially in winter.

Things I like start with the relatively small size of the bag. It makes getting it in and out of a trunk or back seat very easy. I also like that I can use it as a duffle bag or back pack as need suits me For use as duffle back I can zip the shoulder straps into a hideaway pocket. It did not cost very much, has been in use for 3+ years and is as tough as nails. Because it has no rigid structure like a wheeled back-pack it fits into tight spaces with ease and when not in use it folds up out the way easily enough.

As a back-pack it sits a little lower than a dedicated back-pack would so really it’s not meant for long-walks on the beach, but rather for short jaunts from car to rink, or apartment to transit. I would change the dimensions somewhat giving up width for a bit more height or simply adding more volume. It has 136 litres of capacity. I think a 145-150 litre capacity would be about right for hockey.

What you won’t get with this or a similar product is something that stands on edge on its own or that has multiple compartments or multiple pockets. It is a smaller, utilitarian duffle bag with one main compartment and that also has decent shoulder straps allowing it to double as a back-pack. If you can live with that I suggest looking at your local outdoor store to check out something similar.

The MEC version isn't made anymore. You can see it at http://reviews.mec.ca/9421-en_ca/4001-652/mec-mec-odyssey-duffle-bag-reviews/reviews.htm for a better idea of what it is.