Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmiami

Anyone tried BioSteel sportsdrink?

Recently read an article that said more than half the NHL'ers drink a potion called BioSteel on the bench. The trainers mix the powder with water and put it in the Gatorade squirt-bottles. Supposed to help you recover more quickly during game.

Anyone tried it?

It is basically a multivitamin/BCAA (branched chain amino acid) drink. No caffeine or stimulants, so I wouldn't consider it an energy drink or preworkout drink at all.

Biosteel likes to tout the source, purity, and banned substance-free ingredient list of its product, but you can find similar or better products for cheaper. For the aforementioned reasons and the fact that they uphold their name to a prestigious standard via NHL player marketing, they like to charge a ridiculous amount for such a product. Look into Scivation Xtend or almost any other simple BCAA powdered mix for the same exact benefits and results.

Yeah. I've been using the Biosteel High Performance Sports Drink (HPSD) for approx 2 months now, and the Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) for approx 2 weeks.

- I really like the HPSD. The taste is "berry-like" and it reminds me of the taste of vitamin water to a certain degree. It's a bit pricey at around $50-60 per 60 250ml servings. I dilute one serving in 600ml to make it last a bit longer and cut the flavor (FYI - I dilute fruit juice too...) I start sipping it about 30 minutes before I start any sort of physical activity, and continue sipping on it during that activity. I find that my mouth doesn't dry out whatsoever during and after drinking it for quite some time. It took about 3-4 uses to start feeling the "energy" from it. Not sure why. Now it's my go-to. I feel a bit of energy from it, without the harsh caffeine/stimulant in energy drinks. The no sugar is a plus too. I keep a bottle of biosteel and a bottle of regular water on the bench. The weirdest thing about it is that if you mix it and let it sit, it turns from bright neon pink to a very dull yellow/gray within around ~3 hours. I also find that it makes me need to urinate a bit more frequently than regular water. One of my wingers is drinking it too, and he's found similar results to me, but for him it seems to give him a boost a bit later in the game, even sometimes after the game, so I think he needs to adjust when he drinks it. I've also found, and this could just be me, that it helps me focus. I tend to have issues with wandering focus, especially while reading/writing/working, and I'm not sure what it is, but the HPSD seems to help me focus.

- I haven't really been using the WPI for long enough to give it a fair review. I mix it in fruit smoothies after activity, or as a "meal replacement". I have the vanilla flavor and it tastes decent mixed in a smoothie, but I haven't drank it by itself.

Myself, my winger, and another friend have all been attempted to be swayed away from buying Biosteel from people at various shops where it's sold. Everyone tries to offer a "cheaper" solution, or their house products. All three of us disregarded their advice, and tried Biosteel and like it.

The above is just my findings though. I suggest that everyone evaluate Biosteel or any other "nutritional supplements" based on your own health, requirements, and goals. I like this product for me and my uses, and that's that.

Been using the Chocolate recovery BioSteel. Taste good, like muscle milk, feel good after having it after a workout and waking up not that sore in the morning, and I've definitely been working hard. Only been using 2 scoops in 2 cups of 2% milk for the last 3 days. It's a good product though.

It's a long shot but is anyone in the US/Canada able to purchase and send Biosteel to Australia for myself? Sucks how we have no retailer to purchase in Aus.

Have you tried contacting them through their web site to see if they'd ship directly to you?

I'm curious to see if it would even make it through customs.

It's a long shot but is anyone in the US/Canada able to purchase and send Biosteel to Australia for myself? Sucks how we have no retailer to purchase in Aus.

I'll do it for you if bio steel refuses, pm me and let me know

Biosteel is happy to ship to Aus :)

Has anyone tried Presk8? How does this compare to Biosteel? Are they the same?

I've been using Presk8 and it's been amazing. I've reeped the benfits with game long fresh legs. I don't get the heavy concrete legs after the 2nd i used to, since being on Presk8.

Thing is Presk8 is that you have to take it 30 mins prior to your game. Biosteel is a "during" the game suppliment so i'd assume that they serve different puproses?

Would taking them together benefit my game even further?

presk8 is just another 5 hour energy. It'll turn your urine neon. I use to have it before games and it gave me quite a boost, and then I'd be up until 6 in the morning. Nothing a good well balanced diet and a night of sleep can't reproduce.

haha yeh i forgot to add that i had the worst night sleep after using it... My game was at 6pm, i didn't get to sleep until 2am. Extremely frustrating.

It's quite pricey. There are intra workout supplements that work just the same. (Xtend, purple wraath..etc..)..

I haven't tried biosteel, been tempted it. But i'm done with all the supplements stage of my life.

I kid you not, the best thing for energy boost (this might b gross), well for me, is half scoop of Greens+ and Half scoop of protein powder. Or just a full serving of Greens+ an hour before the game... I don't know what it is, but those veggies are a killer (plus lots of water).

Re: power drinks a la Powerade or Gatorade:

Can you hypothetically make your own using sugar-free flavor powder, salt, a potassium salt imitation, and liquid B-vitamins (like the ones your grandfather uses)?

i have tried it...its actually quite good. Having worked at a gym and being a guinea pig for alot of supplements i get to try alot.

one thing i noticed (a cheap option as well)...i basically mix up some e-load and bcaa powder, sip on that about 30-45 minutes before my game on an empty stomach and get the same effect. Eload is available in different flavours.

also Phytoberry by Progressive is a really good product, and so is eating some fruits (apple, pear, orange, berries) 30-45 minutes before the game.

please keep in mind i am NOT knocking bio-steel, its a great product.