Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

NY Islanders Moving to Brooklyn in 2015

It's just crazy that there will be three NHL franchises within 14 mi from each other (and 6 miles at its closest point.)

I agree. I've always thought the East Coast was always over-saturated when it comes to NHL franchises. It is good for the locals to have their team move to a close location though.

I drove past the colosseum last summer, thought, wow! A NHL team still plays there...

But those old barns are a bitter sweet lose. You will never replicate the atmosphere.

I think that is probably a good move for the Islanders though, you tap into some additional fans who might not have wanted to venture from the city to the Colosseum and I am sure ticket prices will beat the Rangers two fold.

I agree. I've always thought the East Coast was always over-saturated when it comes to NHL franchises. It is good for the locals to have their team move to a close location though.

When you consider the population density of the East Coast and hockey traditions, it makes a lot more sense. There simply aren't as many areas in the rest of the country with enough population and demand to justify a team.

Good point. I just see the financial struggles of the Devils and Islanders and can't help but think that there aren't 'enough fans to go around' ha. Either way, its good for the fans that they won't be relocating to a different state/country.

They're very different issues. The islanders are having problems because they wanted to stay. The local government and NIMBYs have prevented them from building a new arena, even though it was largely with their own money. The Devils were over-leveraged in the last purchase and have had a number of issues with the local administration regarding the contracts that they signed. They've also had a significant shift in demographics in the area over the last 20 years or so. It's actually a really nice building with great highway access to points west as well.

I drove past the colosseum last summer, thought, wow! A NHL team still plays there...

But those old barns are a bitter sweet lose. You will never replicate the atmosphere.

I think that is probably a good move for the Islanders though, you tap into some additional fans who might not have wanted to venture from the city to the Colosseum and I am sure ticket prices will beat the Rangers two fold.

No atmosphere in that dump.

No atmosphere in that dump.

I compare it to when we lost the St Louis Arena. Great childhood memories, blue collar fan base, fights in the stands, and you could still smell the smoke 10 years after the ban. The new buildings are light years ahead in convenience, but I can't help but think at the price of the convenience you change the atmosphere from blue collar fans to high class social gathering with nobody actually watching the game...just one of the reasons anyways.

But the comment gave me a good laugh! Must have been bad

I compare it to when we lost the St Louis Arena. Great childhood memories, blue collar fan base, fights in the stands, and you could still smell the smoke 10 years after the ban. The new buildings are light years ahead in convenience, but I can't help but think at the price of the convenience you change the atmosphere from blue collar fans to high class social gathering with nobody actually watching the game...just one of the reasons anyways.

But the comment gave me a good laugh! Must have been bad

it was really bad. I have been an isles fan my whole life (I'm 25) so I was not around for the glory days, but have been going every year. It just kept getting worse and worse and they stopped with the little things as far as upkeep. The memories I will have of that place though are great.

exactly what happened in philly with the spectrum. the games are a joke nowadays. i was embarrassed when i went to a game last year. the tix were free so i was ok with giving ed snider a couple bucks in concessions but the atmosphere in there is pathetic. not just the newer corporate fanbase but the really lame, overpowering music; the stupid game-stoppage contests and the horrible fake enthusiasm horns and cheering. made me cringe. its totally different then the old spectrum games as well as the new building in its first couple years. those fans are gone for the most part. the tix have almost tripled in 13 years for the same seat! ed snider is a scumbag.