Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyguy1

To bake or not to bake Bauer Supreme One.7 skates?

So i received my Bauer Supreme one.7 skates today in the mail and i am pretty stoked to use them this weekend. I have to go get them sharpened first before i hit the ice. But i am wondering if i should bake them or not. I started playing hockey when i was 6-14yrs old and i am 25 now. Back in the day i had never heard of baking them as i dont think that was a well known thing to do back then, i guess it was the old fashioned thing to do to just wear them in. Curious to know if people prefer to bake their skates vs just wearing them in and if anyone has experience with these skates in particular and how it turned out. also too, do people do them in their own oven or take them to the pro-shop? (btw, im relatively new to the site and I cant seem to find how to upload a photo in this feed. do i have to upload it a photo website and then add the link into here, or??)

Baking is always better, it will alleviate any small pressure points that are left (if you chose the right model of skate, of course).

I would most definitely suggest baking One.7 skates, they are totally heat moldable.

Yeah, get them baked, and take them to a pro shop in lieu of doing them in your oven. Everything is thermo-formable now, so why not use the technology as long as it's done properly.

Yeah, get them baked, and take them to a pro shop in lieu of doing them in your oven. Everything is thermo-formable now, so why not use the technology as long as it's done properly.

do people usually screw up their skates if they do it in their own oven? its crazy to think that that is even possible or safe for people to put their skates in an oven.

dude the guy from mlx actually said it was ok to bake their skates in a home oven lol. My mind was blown when he put those things in a home oven arent they like 900$ skates? As for you, I wouldnt bake em. I didnt bake my pro stock U+s. I just wore them with wet socks to practice for like 2 weeks and they were awesome after.

MLX were OK to bake in a home oven.

Keep in mind that the skate ovens in a LHS are convection-type ovens. This means that they circulate the warm air using a fan, as opposed to a directional heat application from an upper or lower element.

If you had a convection oven at home, it would be similar to a LHS bake, but I'd never suggest that someone bake a high-end skate at home in their oven. Why risk burning or melting it?

And yes, I've seen people screw up skates by putting them in the oven. Or heating them too much and pulling out eyelets, or standing up on them and moving glues around. Just not worth the convenience of doing it at home.

dude the guy from mlx actually said it was ok to bake their skates in a home oven lol. My mind was blown when he put those things in a home oven arent they like 900$ skates? As for you, I wouldnt bake em. I didnt bake my pro stock U+s. I just wore them with wet socks to practice for like 2 weeks and they were awesome after.

LOL i know, i was shocked by it too that people actually put them in their oven. wet socks??! haha that didnt bother you? i dont think i can do that, but we shall see how it feels when i break them in tomorrow skating.

MLX were OK to bake in a home oven.

Keep in mind that the skate ovens in a LHS are convection-type ovens. This means that they circulate the warm air using a fan, as opposed to a directional heat application from an upper or lower element.

If you had a convection oven at home, it would be similar to a LHS bake, but I'd never suggest that someone bake a high-end skate at home in their oven. Why risk burning or melting it?

And yes, I've seen people screw up skates by putting them in the oven. Or heating them too much and pulling out eyelets, or standing up on them and moving glues around. Just not worth the convenience of doing it at home.

Yea i hear you, i do have a convection oven but still not sure if i should do it. Also too, i called up a hockey shop and they want to charge $15 for a bake and i think that is high, maybe im wrong??

LOL i know, i was shocked by it too that people actually put them in their oven. wet socks??! haha that didnt bother you? i dont think i can do that, but we shall see how it feels when i break them in tomorrow skating.

Yea i hear you, i do have a convection oven but still not sure if i should do it. Also too, i called up a hockey shop and they want to charge $15 for a bake and i think that is high, maybe im wrong??

That's pretty typical. They want you to come get skates from them, and if you don't they will find some way of charging you. That's the only way to make money in this situation.

yea thats too high. My shop does it for free, and the other shop does it for 5$. And this is in NJ, so not exactly a hot bed for hockey.

yea thats too high. My shop does it for free, and the other shop does it for 5$. And this is in NJ, so not exactly a hot bed for hockey.

No, $15 sounds about right. I've seen it higher, too. Pretty typical for when you dont buy the skates from them.

$15 isn't bad at all...some shops charge $30 or more. If you have a convection oven you should be OK baking them at home. I just take out all, but one middle rack, preheat the oven on the convenction setting, put a wet tea towel on a flat cooking sheet, put the skates on that and then put them in for the appropriate time for the skates without touching the sides of the oven.

I've had skates baked at a LHS in the past before I owned a convection oven and I've baked my last two pair successfully at home. It's a little safer to do it at a store, but if you're careful and know the proper time and temp your skates need to be baked at you should be able to do them at home with your convection oven.

spend the $15 and do it at the store. I have seen places charge $40 to bake so $15 is good. You didn't pay full retail for them anyway so what is another $15. Wouldn't you rather have them done right then possibly mess them up beyond use?

spend the $15 and do it at the store. I have seen places charge $40 to bake so $15 is good. You didn't pay full retail for them anyway so what is another $15. Wouldn't you rather have them done right then possibly mess them up beyond use?

This... you paid as much as you did for the skates, why not pay the extra 15 and get them baked at the store.

So i took the skates on the ice for the first time today, got them sharpened and they were feeling good at first. But obviously 20 mins into it they were starting to hurt a little. I didn't get them baked cause i want to see if i can break them in first. The pain was tolerable but i was getting sores on the inner part of my ankle. I skated for about an hour and 45 mins. Try-outs are Jan 2nd for the adult league so I have a good month +, to get them worked in.

I usually bake when I first get skates, skate 2-3 times, then bake again. With that said, there's no substitute for a few good hard (game speed) skates. That will break them in the natural way.

I usually bake when I first get skates, skate 2-3 times, then bake again. With that said, there's no substitute for a few good hard (game speed) skates. That will break them in the natural way.

Yea im going to wait and see if i can break them in naturally. Gonna go skate again with them early next week and play a couple pick-up games.

i have the one70s and when i bought them and had all intentions to bake them anyway but the LHS employee told me they where meant to be baked. If they have heat moldable materials usually they are meant to speed up the brake in process. Is there a reason why you're not trying to bake them?

The only reason to not bake a skate is that it supposedly shortens the lifespan of the skate. Personally, I highly doubt it makes much of a difference (unless you do something stupid like crank on the laces and damage the eyelets, etc) but even if it WERE true, I think that's a tradeoff that's an easy decision to make.

i have the one70s and when i bought them and had all intentions to bake them anyway but the LHS employee told me they where meant to be baked. If they have heat moldable materials usually they are meant to speed up the brake in process. Is there a reason why you're not trying to bake them?

Honestly, its not because i don't want to spend the $15 bucks, but for me its more on the principle. I guess its something that i need to come to terms with that now a-days its just normal for people to do that. I grew up playing hockey and stopped when i was 14 and now im 25 but back then there was no such thing as baking skates and so thats why it just seems foreign/funny to spend money on doing that. Im not putting it out of consideration and im going to give it one more try with my skates and if they still bother me then ill just give in and get them baked.

Honestly, its not because i don't want to spend the $15 bucks, but for me its more on the principle. I guess its something that i need to come to terms with that now a-days its just normal for people to do that. I grew up playing hockey and stopped when i was 14 and now im 25 but back then there was no such thing as baking skates and so thats why it just seems foreign/funny to spend money on doing that. Im not putting it out of consideration and im going to give it one more try with my skates and if they still bother me then ill just give in and get them baked.

in all fairness, you might as well throw "principle" out the window considering you used a local shop for fitting and ended up buying them online. granted it was monkey and not your typical lhs but still...

in all fairness, you might as well throw "principle" out the window considering you used a local shop for fitting and ended up buying them online. granted it was monkey and not your typical lhs but still...

LOL this is very true. i guess i don't really have an excuse, you win.