Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CB1

Skate problem or possible "skater" problem

This may be a silly question and I'm well aware this could be "user" problem, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has experienced this type of problem.

I purchased a pair of CCM U+12 (upgraded from a pair of basic Easton EQ 3s). The skates feel comfortable so no issues with fit that I'm aware of. On my first skate with the CCM's, the right skate felt fine, but the left skate just didn't feel right. It felt like it wanted to keep slipping out, from maybe mid foot arch back towards the heel. I kept skating thinking they are just new, and I needed to get used to them. This odd feeling or sensation never went away. The only other weird indicators I experienced was when I was trying basic glides on 2 feet and then one footed glides. Right skate felt great, left skate didn't feel stable. The left skate seemed to make a scraping noise when doing these glides. Right skate was silent.

My initial thoughts were that the guys at the shop didn't sharpen the skates that well, especially since it was getting towards closing time. So when I took my son to his practice at a another rink, I asked the rinks local pro shop guy about my issue. He asked me to leave my skates and he would check them out. He sharpened them and looked them over and told me to try them out and see if they were any better.

*As a side note, this guy doesn't really try to compete at retail, so he is more about repairs. So I went to him since I was already at the rink and it was like getting a second doctors opinion. I wasn't trying to slight my other shop in anyway.

Went for my 2nd skate with the CCM's, and the left skate felt a little better, but not by much. Still experienced the same issues. This time I brought my old EQ3's and put those on to compare. No issues with the EQ3's, felt confident and sure while skating.
When across town, close to the shop where I purchased the CCM's, I stopped in to ask them about my issues. I explained the feelings I was having and they took a look at skates. They re-sharpend the skates and also tightened the runners (which he said was a little loose on the left skate). I said to myself, well maybe that was the probblem!

Went for skate test session number 3. No improvement. So bummed.

Anyway, sorry for such a long story, but was trying to give as much information as possible. I've only been skating off and on for a year or so (I don't get much ice time as my son plays travel hockey so it's all about him!). I also realize this could be user error, as I'm only familiar with my Easton EQ 3 skates. But I'm at a loss on what the problem could be, so that is why I'm asking you guys! I'm guessing my next step is to have someone who wears a 9D skate size to try the skates out and see if they experience weirdness. If not, it must be something I'm doing!

Thanks for your help!

Usually it's poor first sharpening but you had them redone and still have problem. Check for bent runner on that skate. Hold ruler alongside the runner and if you can see space thru it, then runner is bent most likely from mismounted holder. Bent steel will slip out. Another way to test is to swap steel from left to right and if you still have the issue, then it's the holder. In that case, return skates for NEW pair. Do not let them try to fix the holder.

The skates feel comfortable so no issues with fit that I'm aware of. On my first skate with the CCM's, the right skate felt fine, but the left skate just didn't feel right. It felt like it wanted to keep slipping out, from maybe mid foot arch back towards the heel.

Sounds like your heel isn't locking into place? Try superfeet, it worked for me.

Pretty much all skaters have a strong and weak foot. On one foot edge control, balance, etc. will come more naturally than on the other. It sounds like you're a very new skater, so this could be the issue. It may be that all you need is practice.

On the other hand, if you actually feel your foot moving around inside the skate, then that's an issue. Your heel should be locked firmly in place when the skate is properly tied. Actually, your whole foot (aside from your toes) should be firmly, snugly held, with no movement within the skate. It would be weird, though, if your right skate fits fine, but your left skate is too roomy, do you maybe have different sized feet? If it's not an issue with the steel/holder, and if it's not simply a lack of ability with your left foot (which is something practice will cure), then it's probably a fit issue.

He means that the blade felt like it was slipping out. His problem is holder or steel or some combination of the two. Superfeet won't do a thing for him.

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

I'll try checking the steel out with a straight edge and swapping it out as Jimmy suggested. I'm dying to figure this out, but unfortunately out of town so will have to wait until Mon/Tues to test.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I know the feeling exactly that you described CB1. I bought a pair of used Pro tacks that the previous owner had put LS2 holders on. The left holder was mounted slightly out of alignment and it held the blade in a slightly curved position that caused the same slipping feeling when striding. I drove out the front rivets and redrilled the soles to try to straighten it out, I still need to adjust it more, but it was a vast improvement.

Obviously for a new pair of skates I wouldnt recommend messing with them yourself. I agree with Jimmy and the others, take them back and ask for them to be replaced...the skates that is...

I know the feeling exactly that you described CB1. ...

Man, am I glad you said that, even though I'm sorry you had the same sort of issue. I've received a lot of blank stares from others when trying to describe what I was experiencing. Hopefully it is not me (the skater)! Can't wait to get back home and try Jimmy's suggestions!

Again, thank you for the comments!