Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wrangler

Chicago Blackhawks 2013

Five-hole open, stick out of the way -- just being a nice guy.

I haven't seen anything yet on who they'll get from Rockford to replace Carcillo. Hayes? They probably didn't want to bother for tonight, since they'll be home Tuesday. Should be a tough game against the Blues.

I'm going to guess that they rotate a couple of the young guys through that spot on the line and anyone that gets inserted into the lineup is there for toughness. Saad, Hayes, Shaw, and even Kruger will likely get a shot on the top line. Maybe even Frolik, though he and Kreuger have been decent together,

Knowing Q, he may leave Saad there as long as it works well, then change it at the drop of a hat because of one bad play. Saad looked good, and Bolland is working out well so far on the second line; I can't believe they made him only the third star of the game. Had to love that Texas Leaguer goal.

This was not the Mike Smith we saw in the playoffs last year, though we had no reason to think he could sustain play at that level.

Looks like Hoss is leading the league in goals and points. It would be sweet if he ended the season that way.

The Hawks really seemed to find their legs after the first 5-10 minutes, but most of the third period was too ragged. I'm glad they didn't fall back to last year's habit of going into the third period with a lead, and giving it away. So far I'm encouraged, but Tuesday's game could be revealing.

Sounds like you're thinking what I'm thinking. I'd like to see a replacement for Emery, who can challenge Crawford for the starting job. If Crawford plays well, great. If he's not quite the starter we want, hopefully a new guy will be.

But Bowman's got to keep looking. Right now, Karlsson may be the best option for Rockford, but no option for Chicago.

My wife left me alone at the computer too long, and I wandered through the web and surfaced with tickets for the game tomorrow. It'll be parka weather. I'm not impressed with the advertised giveaway, a calendar, but I'm wondering if there will be a surprise for the fans. I'm hoping for a good game, first and foremost, though.

Very excited to see how the Hawks stand up against the Blues. Kind of weird to type that sentence after the Blues being non-contenders for the last few years.

Read that the goalie trade was because Hutton is out due to hand injury after the Icehogs brawl. But, could be a hint for Crawford/Emery that they both need to elevate their game. And I agree, I'd like to see Emery traded or not re-signed. He is no threat to Crawford's #1 spot and I think Crawford needs that motivation.

Saad played well on the top line but will be interesting to see if he can keep that going. But, expect to see other young guys rotated through.

Big test for the D and goaltending tonight. The Hawks better come out fast and physical, otherwise they're toast. I'm not very keen on Saad playing with line #1, but it's obviously only temporary and who knows what might happen. That kid really needs to use his size and rumored skating ability to be an asset.

I lucked out with seats behind the Blackhawks bench tonight. We saw the guys on the red carpet earlier, now we're sitting here waiting for something to watch. I sure hope we get a win tonight.

If anyone cares, Season ticket holders get a free $100 gift card to be used at the blackhawks store. They have a chance to redeem it at the first 5 (now 4) home games at gate 3 I think.

Overall, that was pretty darn fun to watch - wish I was there in peron. Crow had some key saves in the closing minutes. I sincerely hope we don't see what was too common last season: third period breakdowns. Saad was impressive. I think once he shakes the big show jitters, he may be an asset. Four lines looking aggressive and smart offensively, let's keep it up.

It looks like we've had some third period slowdowns the last two games. Last night's game was great at the start, really fast pace, both teams skating hard, practically nonstop action.

The 3-on-0 was a very lucky break, as the Hawks were caught in a bad change. The Blues player who had the puck in the Blackhawks zone had four teammates with him, with only two Blackhawks defending. All he had to do was drop the puck to the trailer, for a pass to the left side for a 3-on-1, or better. Instead he tried to force a pass through a Leddy's skates, and ended up with a turnover, and a pass the other way.

The first St. Louis goal looked like poor defensive coordination, with Leddy going to the left boards to double-team the Blues player with the puck, leaving Rosie to cover two Blues. The guy made the pass for the 2-on-1, leading to a goal.

Unlike last year, these defensive lapses didn't cost a game, or even give away a point by going to overtime. But it reminds me of all those mistakes last year, and I just hope it's not a continuing problem. Way too early to tell.

Fun game to watch, and 6 points in 3 games, with no OT, to start the season is certainly acceptable.

At least they're putting up enough goals to make up for their defensive lapses. They're going to have to win like the 80's Oilers this year, at least it should be fun to watch.

At least they're putting up enough goals to make up for their defensive lapses. They're going to have to win like the 80's Oilers this year, at least it should be fun to watch.

It's also what they had to do during their cup year. While goal tending was suspect....the offensive game was unreal. They won many games on pure offense.

I feel like we saw a 3rd period lapse due to low gas in the tank. 3rd game in how many days without any real training camp/pre-season. In all 3 games they came out hot and heavy, which is tough to sustain through a whole game. I'm thinking this style of play will level out in the next week or so.....or hoping at least. The last couple minutes of the game was far too stressful for me. Big ups to Crawford for bailing them out at the end. He looked good.

It looks like we've had some third period slowdowns the last two games. Last night's game was great at the start, really fast pace, both teams skating hard, practically nonstop action.

The 3-on-0 was a very lucky break, as the Hawks were caught in a bad change. The Blues player who had the puck in the Blackhawks zone had four teammates with him, with only two Blackhawks defending. All he had to do was drop the puck to the trailer, for a pass to the left side for a 3-on-1, or better. Instead he tried to force a pass through a Leddy's skates, and ended up with a turnover, and a pass the other way.

The first St. Louis goal looked like poor defensive coordination, with Leddy going to the left boards to double-team the Blues player with the puck, leaving Rosie to cover two Blues. The guy made the pass for the 2-on-1, leading to a goal.

Unlike last year, these defensive lapses didn't cost a game, or even give away a point by going to overtime. But it reminds me of all those mistakes last year, and I just hope it's not a continuing problem. Way too early to tell.

Fun game to watch, and 6 points in 3 games, with no OT, to start the season is certainly acceptable.

Poor defensive coordination on top of a HORRIBLE change. The puck is at the center line and a few Hawk players decide that it's a wonderful time for a change. Nope. Cost them a goal. But mental lapses like that are to be expected for now.

We saw bad changes time after time last year. I'm hoping, as you are, that it will disappear with the rust.

Crawford made some nice plays, especially after it was 3-2, but he lost his net a few times, had some bad rebounds, and his timing, especially protecting the 5-hole, could use some improvement.

I don't think his rebounds were as bad as they could have been. Am I just trying to see the bright side on an iffy goalie? haha. You are right...he did lose his net a couple times. One time being bailed out by Kruger/Keith. Early season rust?

I did seem to notice his jitters were less this game than the 1st. He seemed a little more confident to me in regards to going 1-on-1. Also, the decision to make that sweeping poke check after he couldn't play the puck (and was visibly frustrated) was great. For some reason I don't see him making that decision last year and trying to just square up?

His playing the puck behind the net makes me nervous every time. He's bobbled it a few too many times for my liking.

Rebound control could use some improvement, but overall I didn't think it was bad. I think losing the net may have been a rusty decision process, which also manifested itself a few times when he seemed to have trouble making up his mind whether to come out and play the puck. On the other hand, I saw good things when he did play the puck. I don't recall any giveaways, or no-look passes that ended up with the opposition. And, most encouraging, he didn't seem to hang onto the puck too long, or try to force plays. He went with what was there.

He didn't seem quite as comfortable catching the puck. I noticed at least a few times, in the game and the warmup, when the puck hit the glove and bounced away, rather than going in. That's one thing I don't expect to last.

Crawford was more more aggressive than I have seen him in the past. I don't know if this was due to input from coaching or a personal decision, but it has paid dividends so far.

Crawford was more more aggressive than I have seen him in the past. I don't know if this was due to input from coaching or a personal decision, but it has paid dividends so far

I noticed this as well. Was nice to see him challenge. Definitely was the right move on a couple scoring attempts.

Rebound control could use some improvement, but overall I didn't think it was bad. I think losing the net may have been a rusty decision process, which also manifested itself a few times when he seemed to have trouble making up his mind whether to come out and play the puck. On the other hand, I saw good things when he did play the puck. I don't recall any giveaways, or no-look passes that ended up with the opposition. And, most encouraging, he didn't seem to hang onto the puck too long, or try to force plays. He went with what was there.

He didn't seem quite as comfortable catching the puck. I noticed at least a few times, in the game and the warmup, when the puck hit the glove and bounced away, rather than going in. That's one thing I don't expect to last.

I think it was noted, when he first made the roster, that he would close his glove hand right before he was about to catch the puck and then it would open. It was causing him to rebound pucks out of his glove rather than hold onto them. Not sure if this is happening again due to the extended off season? But agree it will go away with more games/coaching.

I believe what I saw as poor puck handling was how sketchy he was receiving the puck as it came around the boards. It seemed to be bouncing off his stick and then causing him to bobble it a bit. Made me nervous a few times but I'm sure I'm being overly picky about it. Ala couch coaching. :rolleyes:

Now to play Dallas tonight. For some reason I'm a little more nervous about this game then I was vs the Blues. At least the Blues was home opener so you knew the Hawks would come out fired up. Jagr has been playing so well to start off the season it will be interesting see how they try to shut him down.

Jagr has been playing so well to start off the season it will be interesting see how they try to shut him down.

Seabrook and one of the top two lines against him. Make him play defense in his own zone and he won't have as much energy to go the other way.

The Blackhawks didn't appear to be skating or passing as well tonight, even seemed a bit lazy. They managed to pull out a win due to some timely power plays.

I noticed that though the refs started the season calling interference strictly, as we had heard they were instructed, they let it go in tonight's game like they did last year.

Crawford again was strong at times, and weak at times. He let two tricklers through, though Keith was able to save one.

Marion Hossa was the #1 star of the game again; that makes 3 of the 4 games so far. He had a nice one-timer to win the game in OT, thanks to Kane's sweetly timed setup.

The Blackhawks didn't appear to be skating or passing as well tonight, even seemed a bit lazy. They managed to pull out a win due to some timely power plays.

I noticed that though the refs started the season calling interference strictly, as we had heard they were instructed, they let it go in tonight's game like they did last year.

Crawford again was strong at times, and weak at times. He let two tricklers through, though Keith was able to save one.

Marion Hossa was the #1 star of the game again; that makes 3 of the 4 games so far. He had a nice one-timer to win the game in OT, thanks to Kane's sweetly timed setup.

I guess you missed the Morrow Interference call that lead to the GWG in OT? That was one of the weakest interference calls I've seen in a while.

Hmmm....yeah that Morrow call was odd. I was surprised they called it interference and not slashing. Either call was weak. Now, as a Hawks fan, I'm not complaining but can admit the call was ticky tacky. Especially in OT and having called so many penalties against the Stars already. Very weird.

Hawks did seem a step behind compared to the previous 3 games. Things were not clicking and finally we saw some truly sloppy play. Seemed like the majority of the team just wasn't mentally in the game. Sharp's turn over was very uncharacteristic. Two softies (one resulting in a goal) by Crawford. Will not blame him at all for the Whitney goal even though I have seen others do so.

Btw. . .how awesome was the 3 vs 3 to watch in OT? I'd have no problem with a 3v3 replacing the shootout if no one scores 4vs4. Soooo much ice and Seabrook almost scored because of it. Pretty cool.