Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Montreal Canadiens 20xx-2013 Season

The re-entry waiver risk is no more. While Weber might be better trade bait, Kaberle is probably the one who will be heavily shopped leading up to the deadline. There is always a team looking for another puck mover at the deadline and if MA Bergeron can be gainfully employed for an entire season then someone can stomach Kaberle for a stretch run.

Well a perfect Super Bowl weekend with a little help from the referees on Sunday, although there was quite a few questionable calls during that game against Ottawa. Now a big test on Wednesday against Boston.

I saw that he had been put on waivers...but I thought it as just a formality of removing him from IR to return to Hamilton. Sorry to see him go. I never had any personal interaction with him, but everyone with the Dogs said he was an absolute gentleman, and great to deal with....very accommodating and always stopped to chat with people from the team (even the office people outside of Hockey Ops).

Bon Chance Aaron. (I know he's not French, but wth!)

I was surprised too that he had to clear waivers. Perhaps he got injured in practice after being called up? I think I heard/read somewhere that he was on Montreal's 23 men roster but that he was on the IR. That would explain why he had to clear waivers to be sent back down to Hamilton. I don't think he fitted anywhere really so if he can get a chance at breaking the Avs' line up, then all the better for him.

So tonight the Habs welcome the Bruins who will be without Thornton and possibly Marchand. Should be a good game as is almost always the case between both teams.

I think this is a good move for Montreal. Ryder had similar numbers to Cole last year, is slightly younger, has one less year on his contract and his cap hit is $1 million less than Cole's. The only downsides are that Ryder is a bit smaller than Cole and Cole did have some great chemistry with Desharnais and Patches last year. I hope Ryder comes in, plays great and earns top two minutes (and believe he will), but if it doesn't work out it's better to pay someone 3.5 mil for one season to play on the 3rd or 4th line than 4.5 mil for two seasons (assuming Cole continued to produce like he did for the first part of this season).

Obviously Cole can be effective for Dallas if he finds chemistry with his new line mates, but at least he'll be in the West so the Canadiens won't see him that often.

Ryder is back in the east.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416909

I have to say I'm surprised but kinda happy at the same time. I never really understood why Montreal had let him go after he had scored 99 goals in 3 seasons. He was pretty much the only 30 goal scorer Montreal had at the time. Ryder will bring that right hand shot on the PP that seems to be missing right now. Sure there's Gallagher and Gionta but Ryder has a much better shot and I think is more of a sniper. The magic between Pacioretty, Cole and Desharnais was simply not operating this year so I don't think it's that much of a gamble to let Cole go. Plus it may actually help that line if Ryder ends up on that line.

I have to say I'm surprised but kinda happy at the same time. I never really understood why Montreal had let him go after he had scored 99 goals in 3 seasons. He was pretty much the only 30 goal scorer Montreal had at the time. Ryder will bring that right hand shot on the PP that seems to be missing right now. Sure there's Gallagher and Gionta but Ryder has a much better shot and I think is more of a sniper. The magic between Pacioretty, Cole and Desharnais was simply not operating this year so I don't think it's that much of a gamble to let Cole go. Plus it may actually help that line if Ryder ends up on that line.

I suspect he'll start playing with Gionta and Plekanec since Bourque is out with a concussion, but if he eventually lands on the Pacioretty/Desharnais line that could work well - a sniper, playmaker and a power forward is a great combo on paper and hopefully it would be on the ice as well.

He would work well with Gio/Pleky. I like the chemistry with Pax/Gally/Desharais...so I hope that line stays together for a while.

BTW....Gallagher DID give up 73 for Ryder. Gally is switching to 11. Hopefully more like Koivu/Muller and less Gomez!!!!!

I think the big question with Ryder is where he is on his production roller coaster. He had a rather productive start to this season but it seems when his production falls off, it really falls off. We'll see. Cole has struggled a bit this year so I think the edge goes to the Habs with this trade.

I think the fact that they got a draft pick with Ryder is huge. It would have been a fair trade straight up....surprised that the team getting the younger player, with better numbers, also got the Pick.

Reports are that Blake Geoffrion will be retiring from prefessional hockey. I haven't seen a formal annoucement from the Habs or Bulldogs. (He's still being listed as a scratched/injured player on the Bulldogs roster).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418077

Great promise to a young career cut short by a freak injury. Not just the first 4th generation NHLer, but all 4 played for the Habs. GGF Howie Morenz, GF Boom Boom Geoffrion, Father Dan Geoffrion.

Can't even imagine who hard a decison that must have been for him and his Family to make.

[uPDATE] OFFICIAL STATEMENT: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=660033 "Considering" retirement!

News of the Day in Montreal:

David Desharnais - 4yr/3.5 per ext.

Nokelainen assigned to Hamilton.

Mtl also recalled Mike Blunden.

Tinordi has also been called up. One would think that Nokelainen has been assigned to Hamilton for conditioning perhaps? Not sure Blunden will play unless someone else was injured on Wednesday. Dumont seems to be doing a good job so far.

Sorry...yes, Pateryn returned, Tinordi called up was yesterday. I doubt they will mess with chemistry too much and Tinordi will likely play with Frankie...but Emelin and Tinordi together could be a wrecking crew.

Picked up Halpern off waivers, good third or fourth line guy. It always helps to have a versatile guy like him available.

Montreal send Dumont and Tinordi back to Hamilton and recall Nathan Beaulieu. I'm beginning to like that "new era" more and more. They are giving their prospects a good try which you wouldn't have seen in the past. This will give them a good idea on what to expect next season and should ease some decisions before the deadline as well as next summer. With Weber cleared to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being dealt since they know that Tinordi can play in the NHL and Beaulieu who will be playing tomorrow night may prove to also be NHL ready. Worst case scenario, if need be, they can bring Kaberle back in the line up.

Therien was awful shy about using Tinordi in the back to back game against Boston even though it was obvious that going with 5 was failing him.

Although Montreal only traded for Drewiske yesterday, there's at least a signing to report in Montreal. They have agreed to terms with Dany Krysto today. He will report to Hamilton.

I have to say that as a whole, I'm not disappointed that the Habs did not trade today. Apparently they tried to acquire Raffi Tores which was traded to San Jose. Although some toughness would have been a welcomed addition to the team, not sure how I would have felt if they had indeed nabbed Torres. I think that Bergevin did the right thing by not trading away youth and picks. This summer's draft is supposed to be a good one. Bergevin addressed some problems with the Habs when he traded Cole to Dallas for Ryder who's been playing pretty good so far.

2 stinkers back-to-back! Yikes! I still have faith that this team is capable of a run when all cylinders are clicking....like early in the year.