Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthStar

Broken hosel/tenon

Switched from an Easton SE16 shaft to a Warrior Dolomite. I have never snapped a harrow replacement blade before in the tenon/hosel area using the easton se16. But my last two blades I put in the warrior did exactly that, snap in hosel/tenon area. Is it a coincidence, or is it the dolomite shaft, or just a bad batch of harrow blades ?

7c074aeef70c38099608.jpg

I wonder if Harrow had a bad batch of blades? I've used their blades exclusively for about 4 years with great durability. But I had two break this fall in that same spot. I don't think it was shaft related as one broke in a Dolomite and the other in a TPS R8.

I don't know if this is related, but I just bought my first Harrow blade and stuck it in a dolomite shaft I've had for a year. Man did I have a hard time getting it in. It seemed to be a much tighter fit than any of the wood blades I've had in the past. I fear I'll have some real trouble getting it out. Anybody else have that issue?

Yeah it was the same for me with the Dolomite, I had to bang the shaft into the ground to get the blade to go in, and it's a pita to get it out. I also sanded down the inside of the shaft, it made a slight difference, making inserting the blade easier. In the Se16 shaft, went in and smoothly, no problem. Looks like Harrow is having some QC issues, since I'm not the only one who is breaking blades in the same area, all of a sudden.

Yeah it was the same for me with the Dolomite, I had to bang the shaft into the ground to get the blade to go in, and it's a pita to get it out. I also sanded down the inside of the shaft, it made a slight difference, making inserting the blade easier. In the Se16 shaft, went in and smoothly, no problem. Looks like Harrow is having some QC issues, since I'm not the only one who is breaking blades in the same area, all of a sudden.

I just put another Harrow blade into a brand new Dolomite shaft. Took me 10 minutes of banging to get it fully in. I'm afraid that when the time comes to replace it it'll be a nightmare to get out. Any tips?

If you MUST use Harrow blades, use them in Harrow or Bauer shafts. The tenon size is closer for Harrow and Bauer, Warrior has a thinner tenon.

I used harrow blades and warrior shafts a lot a few years ago. They were a tight fit then. It's not a QC issue, it's just a few millimeters size difference in construction. If your'renhabing trouble getting them out, buy a 5ft piece of rebar and jam it in through the butt end, it will give an extra push to get it out.

I used to live on harrow blades, but they raised the price enough that I started going with other companies.

I used harrow blades and warrior shafts a lot a few years ago. They were a tight fit then. It's not a QC issue, it's just a few millimeters size difference in construction. If your'renhabing trouble getting them out, buy a 5ft piece of rebar and jam it in through the butt end, it will give an extra push to get it out.

I used to live on harrow blades, but they raised the price enough that I started going with other companies.

What else in the price range have your been using?

I moved to buying mako ii blades. They were about the same price at my LHS after paying for shipping on harrow.

After that I just moved to OPS. Sticks are getting good enough at the 150-175 level, and blades and shafts getting expensive enough, that I'm not getting a worthwhile value with 2 pieces.