Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikej411

1 inch burr on skate. How to fix this?

I'm fairly new to hockey and have always just paid for a sharpening whenever I see a nick in my blade and it feels rough when my finger runs over it. Sometimes it affects my skating, sometimes I dont notice it, but to fix it ive always just resharpened. I'm sure there are better ways than to pay again for a sharpening. Is going over the burr/chip with a stone the best way to fix it, and how many times should i go over it?

What does it mean to lose an edge? Could that be what I'm seeing? When i run my finger across this 1 inch nick, it is very rough

Sharpen your skates. That's the only real fix. A flat stone will clean up the small ones. An inch in length? Not much fixing can be done to that, with any real success

Yes, that area is unlikely to be on the ice at any point in a normal stride. No stone would fix that, and I can't believe that it happened from a single event. It looks like it was dragged across a parking lot.

Got the first FBV sharpening yesterday 100/50. Skated on it today and that was the result. I only stepped on rubber and ice. I had one fall and I could have sworn My blade didn't hit the board, but maybe it did.

You say this didnt happen from a single event. Im assuming this is real bad then. Would a cross grind be necessary to get it out?

That has nothing to do with FBV, whatever you did to the edge would happen with any sharpening. It can be fixed without a cross grind but it will take longer.

Got the first FBV sharpening yesterday 100/50. Skated on it today and that was the result. I only stepped on rubber and ice. I had one fall and I could have sworn My blade didn't hit the board, but maybe it did.

You say this didnt happen from a single event. Im assuming this is real bad then. Would a cross grind be necessary to get it out?

FBV doesn't change the fact that rubber and ice are not harder than steel.

If it's 1", it's not a burr or nick, it's damage done by something other than ice, most likely metal to metal contact (hitting your other skate or someone elses skate) or metal to concrete (stepping in crack in rubber matting. The ice cannot do that kind of damage. Also no stone can fix it, unless of course you can move your hand at 3700 rpm.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

What I'm saying is that that kind of damage was caused by your skate hitting something hard and whether you were using FBV or ROH it wouldn't have mattered because it's still steel. There's nothing inherently different about the hardness of the runner with FBV vs ROH.

What I'm saying is that that kind of damage was caused by your skate hitting something hard and whether you were using FBV or ROH it wouldn't have mattered because it's still steel. There's nothing inherently different about the hardness of the runner with FBV vs ROH.

Oh OK. Yeah Chadd cleared that up a couple posts before yours.