Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceman8310

Boucher Fired from the Lightning

I've always liked the way Boucher coached and handled himself. It's sad to see him go but Tampa has the talent to be a top 6 seed in the West. The team has been under performing, short season, sometimes the coach pays the price.

I don't like Boucher's system and he has underachieved in a really bad division this year. Yzerman has played for good coaches, I would trust his judgement on this, even if I disagreed with the move.

If I were Tampa I would stay far away from Ruff.

Agreed, I think he has been one of the most overrated coaches in the league

They'll probably go with Cooper, who coaches the syracuse crunch right now.

Interim or long-term?

Interim.

Ok, that I will agree with, I don't know that they will go with someone without NHL experience for the long term.

has tampa played anything other than the 1-3-1 trap? or was that boucher's system?

In the games I've seen, they would sometimes vary the aggressiveness of the first man. At times, not even sending the first man deeper than the blue line. However, they were often aggressive on the forecheck when the puck was dumped in.

Ok, that I will agree with, I don't know that they will go with someone without NHL experience for the long term.

Exactly.

Yzerman said that the assistant coaches would be doing the interim coaching. He also said that he would like to find a new coach asap. Boucher had no NHL experience so not sure that it will be one of the top criteria for Yzerman although he may want to go with an experienced NHL coach this time around since it didn't quite workout with Boucher.

I just disagree with the timing. I also dont like to trust GMs. No matter how good they are, everyone makes mistakes in judging player and coaching levels.

so did he misjudge when he hired Boucher or when he fired him?

It's not like Boucher was hired sight unseen...while Yzerman was working with Ken Holland in Detroit...they watched LOTS of Grandf Rapids/Bulldogs games...so he saw what Guy was capable of in person. Add the success he had with the Canadain Jr. program...and it was a well thought out hire, IMO.