Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bane

Recommendation needed Alkali or Bauer

I'm looking for new skates now that my Mission Boss skates are separating between the footbed and the toe cap.

I'm lookint at either the Alkali CA7 or the Bauer XR5. I have never skated on all 80mm wheels, so I have no idea if they will work for me. My current mission's have springs on them.

Anyone have any recommendations one way or the other?

Thanks,

Im a mission/bauer guy, the bauer will have a stiffer boot and will probably last you longer.

That being said the alkali is a great skate and its very heat moldable.

I prefer a hi-lo setup and I could never get used to the flat all 80mm frame, it comes down to personal preference though.

Bottom line, try them both on and which ever fits your foot better and you are more comfortable in are the ones to go with.

id go with mission/bauer. CA7 for some people, including me, just too soft for its price point. not good for blocking shot or if you were a powerful skater. i think its more for comfort (easier heat molding). however the wheels setup is nice, and i love its heel lock.

Bane,

I won't comment on the Bauer skate (as I believe it is a good skate), but I will offer my opinions on what makes our skates special:

1. The fit and comfort of our skate cannot be beat.

2. The internals of our boots allow the player to have a custom fit,

3. Great heel lock

4. A forward boot pitch which is designed specifically for roller hockey

5. Durability - Our warranty is a full year, which is 9 months longer than our competitors

6. Stiffness - Some have said the CA7 is not stiff enough, but I beg to differ. We have players at the highest level (NARCh Pro) that skate on the CA7.

7. Service - If for some reason you do not like the all 80mm chassis, I will personally mount your old Sprungs onto our boot (free of charge at our office in Mission Viejo).

8. Service - If you purchase our skate, I would be happy to heat fit you personally in our office in Mission Viejo.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please let me know.

Justin

I just tried a pair of XR for the first time a few weeks ago. Thought they were good at first, but hurt later. Ended up with AC1's instead and loving the feel.

I think you just sold me Justin. A personal touch like this is impressive.

After watching the videos on your site, is there any reason to move up to the CA9 besides better bearings/wheels, and the magnesium chassis? The videos describe the rest to be pretty similar.

Thanks,

Bane,

I won't comment on the Bauer skate (as I believe it is a good skate), but I will offer my opinions on what makes our skates special:

1. The fit and comfort of our skate cannot be beat.

2. The internals of our boots allow the player to have a custom fit,

3. Great heel lock

4. A forward boot pitch which is designed specifically for roller hockey

5. Durability - Our warranty is a full year, which is 9 months longer than our competitors

6. Stiffness - Some have said the CA7 is not stiff enough, but I beg to differ. We have players at the highest level (NARCh Pro) that skate on the CA7.

7. Service - If for some reason you do not like the all 80mm chassis, I will personally mount your old Sprungs onto our boot (free of charge at our office in Mission Viejo).

8. Service - If you purchase our skate, I would be happy to heat fit you personally in our office in Mission Viejo.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please let me know.

Justin

Bane,

If you can afford the CA9, I would definitely recommend going with this skate. The CA9 is a much stiffer boot, magnesium chassis (which is much stronger and lighter than a regular chassis), and Addiction wheels. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

My direct e-mail is justin@alkalihockey.com

Bane, you might also want to check out my long term review of the Alkali CA9 RPD HERE

I've been in the CA9 RPD since December and its by far the best inline skate I've worn to date.

For my money it really doesn't get any better than the Alkali CA9 RPD. If you're already in the $450 price range, you'll be glad you spent a few extra bucks for Alkali's top of the line skate.

RPD is about $200 more than the CA7 and the CA9 is about $150 more than the CA7. So, I only play roller once a week, so I'm not sure I can justify $200 more.

Bane, you might also want to check out my long term review of the Alkali CA9 RPD HERE

I've been in the CA9 RPD since December and its by far the best inline skate I've worn to date.

For my money it really doesn't get any better than the Alkali CA9 RPD. If you're already in the $450 price range, you'll be glad you spent a few extra bucks for Alkali's top of the line skate.

Skated in the CA7's for the first time on Monday. They are the most comfortable skate I have ever skated in, it almost felt like I wasn't wearing skates. My only gripe is that the all 80 setup seems like wearing ski's, but I am planning to give them a couple more games before deciding to try going down to 76mm wheels.

If Justin and Alkali can keep making such excellent products, I think they will be very successful!

Glad to hear you enjoy them (for the most part)! I bought a pair of CA4s last night and have never skated on all 80s either; a bit nervous. Looking forward to trying them out.

I'd be interested in hearing updates on how your transition is going if you're able to post back once in a while. If I read it right you're coming from Sprungs, correct? I'm coming from the old Sure-Grip rocker chassis (H405) and really don't like all four on the floor, which is why I'm nervous. :unsure:

not trying to cause a ruccus here but how is the general fit on your boots justin? im currently wearing resbok Es as they are the widest boot i was told to be available for roller but im still having discomfort over a year later (they are 9ks size 8.5 E btw) though im not looking into a new boot immesiatly i may be looking for one sooner than later bc of the issues im having. i have superfeet in them, heatbaked them twice, played a couple seasons and there is still discomfort. the only thing saving me know is they have the lace lok (love this btw, loved it on my old ccms too) and i keep the bottoms extremely loose with it only tight enough to keep out the slack.

my other issue is i do need a stiff boot. im 250 lbs and roller skates seem to not ever be made for someone my size. im so heavy that on ALL of my skates the footbed bends down and rubs ahainst my second wheel untill there is a groove big enough in my footbed that it clears.

to be honest i dint look at alkali skates bc the local rep said they fit like old missions and those were torture on my feet.

Souldriver,

The best part of our skates is the custom mold ability. If you have a very large foot, I would recommend putting them on a boot stretcher overnight to stretch the area where the boot joins the toecap. This would be the only place you would have an issue. However, I have fit players with EE width feet and have had no issues. It is all about getting a proper heat fit.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Socal, we are always available to heat fit you in our office. Hope this helps.

Justin

Justin,

What part of SoCal are you in? I see Orange County, but would like to know as I'm occasionally in the area. Could be helpful if I ever need to have adjustments made; might be able to swing by.

im in ny, but next time im looking for a skate or im in the store ill look at your skates.

im just secretly dredding the thought of the footcramps that come when theyre on for only 2second as most skates do to my foot. it seemed CCMs (who dont make roller anymore) were the only ones that fit well.

to be honest my foot "should take an 8" but i go a half size up bc an 8 wide still has no way of fitting my foot its legit painfull. even with an 8.5 my foot is bulging out of the top.

sometimes i really wish some company built more towards the larger roller player but the only time ive seen that was gear years aho and they were pretty crappy tbh.

with that said ill still give your skates a fair shot.

That's a depth problem, not as much as a length or width problem.

Look at Bauer supremes, and the nexus line. I don't know of any other skate lines that are as deep. Then just convert them and your set.

Justin: Sorta off topic, but does the heat molding affect depth issues? I hear that people are resolving depth problems in the mako by baking, but I don't see how that's possible. I'm by no means as knowledgable as you in skate fit, so I'd love to hear your input.

could be. when i was looking for skates last i was recommended against converting for both price and chassis fit problems. since then i signed up here and see its way more common and if i cant get a skate next time im looking ill convert. i have an eq40 set that i rarely use for ice anymore that are comfy as fudge! the only problem is they have the sweat holes in the outsole.

Just wanted to throw some feedback out over my current experience with Alkali and Justin. I thought this thread might be an appropriate spot, but Mods feel free to move it if there's a better location that I'm not aware of.

I bought some new CA4s here in the past couple of weeks. This weekend I was going to put some different wheels on and when I got to one axle I found it to be very tight, so tight in fact that the bolt immediately stripped out where the Allen fits in.

I PM'd Justin and he has been great to work with! He offered to take care of the problem if I sent the skate to him, but I've got a mechanic at work that said he should be able to take care of it pretty easily. Didn't want to send the skate halfway and back across the country for a silly bolt if we didn't have to!

Justin's shipping out some new hardware for me today. Couldn't be more pleased with the quick service and communication - thanks again! :smile: