Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scorer75

Skate loosening up...

Hi.

I've been in the Bauer One.8 for the last 4 months. Other than a couple of punches for my nasty feet, it's an absolutely great skate.

I am however having an issue and was looking for some input.

I tie my skates leaving the last eyelet undone for more forward flex. I did this with my previous pair of skate (One90's) and it was great. The One.8 has a significantly thicker tongue and during the course of a game, the tongue is pushing the "throat" of the skate apart, loosening it around my ankles. If I retie my skates, I'm good to go, but I was hoping for a different solution.

I can skate 20+ hours a week and retying skates any more than I already do will make me go mad...

Any ideas?

Are you laces getting loose? Whats the "throat" that is comming apart? If its te laces just getting loose, double knot or wax laces may do the trick.

wax laces and/or lacing outside-in will hold much better than "standard" laces and lacing style.

I've been using waxed laces, better, but not better enough. Also been tying a double know.

By throat I meant the opening of the skate by the top 3 eyelets. Basically, I'll tie my skates normally leaving the last eyelet open and the tongue in the normal position. As the game progresses, and I flex forward, the tongue pushes forward forcing the two ends of the skate where the eyelets are apart. After a period or so, there is noticeable movement and very little support anywhere above the third eyelet from the top.

I'll try lacing outside in.

Has anybody shave down the sides of the tongue so it can flex forward without spreading the boot apart? It doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to do. Can anyone think of a reason not to shave down the side of the tongue from the 2nd eyelet to the top of the boot???

I have the same problem with my EQ50s since I leave the top undone and I did what Chadd suggested.

I use wax laces and lace outside in. At least for me, it solved the problem.

Are you skating with the shin guards inside your tongues? I found that with certain skates, especially tall boots, skating with the shin guards inside would prevent me from tightening it tight enough and loosen it faster.

or lacing outside-in will hold much better than "standard" laces and lacing style.

This worked amazingly well, tried it last night +10

Here's a hiking boot lacing tip that might help. I use this method (the first 2 minutes of the video, not the last part) when lacing my skates in order to keep the lower eyelets loose, and the top eyelets tight (but you can do the opposite). This method allows you to "lock" sections of your lacing.

That video is pretty interesting. The first lacing suggestion is what I used for a pair of snowboard boots. I would find that I wouldn't need the lower portion of the boot to be very tight but needed the ankle area pretty cranked down. What I found is that the upper portion of the boot would loosen up over the day since I never had to crank down the lower potion of the boot. But if I did crank down the lower portion I would get cramps or my toes would fall asleep. I ended up doing first lacing suggestion and it worked great. I have not had to do that with hockey skates, but it does work at sectioning off different lacing areas of the boot.