Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The "2013 Fired Coaches Thread"

But Malkin seems to be at his very best when Sid has been hurt and he is forced to carry the team. Remember, it was Crosby who largely disappeared in the 2009 finals and it was Malkin who won the Conn Smythe. It seems that Malkin routinely picks up his game when Sid is out or hurting. I'd make a bet on Malkin or Datsyuk (the latter when he was younger).

MAF deserved the Conn Symthe that year.

I don't think Malkin is the 2nd best player by far. Maybe talent wise but his work ethic is weak. Any team that thinks he is worthy of being "the guy" will regret it. He needs a great player to carry the weight. There's a reason malkin and Datsuk don't have the C.

To paraphrase, you don't like Russians.

Datsyuk is one of, if not the best two way forward of his era, and Malkin was the only guy with any jump (aside from a few lazy plays that were prevalent not just from Malkin, but the entire roster) when the Pens had their backs against the wall. If a few of those shots go post and in instead of post and out, and Chara doesn''t bearclaw a shot into an open net, you'd be lauding him for working his ass off when the team was down and out. Needs a great player to carry the weight? As mentioned prior, he always elevates his game Crosby is out of the lineup which has led many to believe he'd be better suited on his "own" team (He has a 2012 Hart and Art Ross to corroborate this claim).

MAF may have deserved the Smythe in 2009 but Malkin was near unstoppable the entire playoff, especially in the finals against Detroit when Crosby was most likely injured. He has flaws, but I'd take him over Stamkos (who is utterly atrocious in his own end), Tavares, and Ovechkin every day of the week and twice on Sunday as the #2 player in the world.

Seems Malkin will stay in Pittsburg for a large remainder of his career, signing a 8 year 9.5 mill deal sets him as a lock as a franchise player. I like this move by the Penguins, but as far as personal entertainment I'd rather see him lead his own team. It seems now that Letang is the only player on penguins on the chopping block, with a currently 3.5 million dollar contract he is a steal there's no doubt that he will grab atleast 6.5 mil.

I don't dislike Russians, I just think they're lazy compared to Canadian and US players. Supreme talent and skill but no heart. That is why they seem to be passed over for captain. Malkin routinely skates around instead of stopping to play defense. He's not the only one on that terrible defensive team but if you want to be the best, you need to play your best at the most important times. He did that once but I would not make him my "Guy."

Did it ever occur to you that some of them were not made Captain because of the language barrier. When you have a C you have to communicate with alot of people, press, players, coaches, etc. It's hard to do that with an interpreter. French Canadians and the majority of Western Europe/Skandinavian players generally have a good grasp on the English language when they start playing in the NHL. I think the "lazy russian" title is something that was said along time ago and has been used ever since, like the "soft euro player". You don't score as many goals as Malkin, Ovie, Federov and many other Russians by being lazy.

Did it ever occur to you that some of them were not made Captain because of the language barrier. When you have a C you have to communicate with alot of people, press, players, coaches, etc. It's hard to do that with an interpreter. French Canadians and the majority of Western Europe/Skandinavian players generally have a good grasp on the English language when they start playing in the NHL. I think the "lazy russian" title is something that was said along time ago and has been used ever since, like the "soft euro player". You don't score as many goals as Malkin, Ovie, Federov and many other Russians by being lazy.

thats possible but i am thinking more on the international level also. when the chips are down and toughness and hard work are whats needed to win, they fail. when's the last time the russians won an olympics? maybe its because of their hard culture and when they make it to the NHL, they see that as enough.

Let's see, Russia has won 3 of the last 6 world championships. medaled in 5 of the last 6 world juniors with gold in 2011, in recent Olympics they took silver in 1998 and bronze in 2002. It looks like they are doing just fine on the international level.

Seems Malkin will stay in Pittsburg for a large remainder of his career, signing a 8 year 9.5 mill deal sets him as a lock as a franchise player. I like this move by the Penguins, but as far as personal entertainment I'd rather see him lead his own team. It seems now that Letang is the only player on penguins on the chopping block, with a currently 3.5 million dollar contract he is a steal there's no doubt that he will grab atleast 6.5 mil.

It wouldn't be the worst thing for them to try unload Letang this offseason and get a nice return. The deepest part of the Pens prospect pool is on D, even after the trades they made around the deadline. Of course they could buyout MFA and open up some room, but they'd end up needing at least one if not two goalies if Vokoun played himself into a nice multiyear deal.

It wouldn't be the worst thing for them to try unload Letang this offseason and get a nice return. The deepest part of the Pens prospect pool is on D, even after the trades they made around the deadline. Of course they could buyout MFA and open up some room, but they'd end up needing at least one if not two goalies if Vokoun played himself into a nice multiyear deal.

Vokoun signed a two year deal before this season, if I remember correctly

Vokoun signed a two year deal before this season, if I remember correctly

Ah, so he did. I was thinking of his 1 yr deal from the year before.

Still makes we wonder if they use a compliance buyout on MAF this sumer or next.

Vigneault was probably the best choice the Rangers were going to make. Historically they've gone with established coaching candidates, the last time they went with an "out of the box" choice was with Trottier and that did not end well, although in fairness to Trottier the early 2000's editions of the Rangers were pretty awful.

He's a big proponent of zone matchups and trying to tilt the ice in his team's favor. I just hope that Sather gives him a team that's a lot more balanced than what the Rangers were to start off this season. As much as the Rangers needed another top end offensive talent after the 2012 season, they did not do a great job of replacing the depth they lost in order to acquire Nash. It should also help that their top sniper isn't coming back from a major injury going into next season and assuming a Richards compliance buyout they're not pinning their hopes that a player on the wrong side of 30 won't continue to decline.

Mostly, they should try to turn themselves into the Bruins-lite with their top 9 players all being able to play a responsible 2 way game and at least an NHL caliber 4th line (unlike the 4th line that took the ice in the last few games of the Boston series).