Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The "2013 Fired Coaches Thread"

I'm sorry for continuing this off topic, but you realize Richards managed to put up nearly those exact numbers than that in the shortened season, right? He's not a BAD hockey player, he's just not the player he used to be.

I hear what you are saying. I actually like his defensive abilities, but for $12 million or whatever, he is just a waste, as his offense has gone to garbage IMO, especially in the playoffs. He just looked clueless on the PP on numerous occasions, like he did not know what to do and would just freeze up when he got the puck on the left side. His numbers were deceiving in the regular season. I mean, I recall his hat trick against BUF just being so flukey. I think the first goal was supposed to be a centering pass from the right side that somehow found its way through Miller's pads. I mean, a goal's a goal, I was hoping that what I thought was a flukey hat trick would rev up his confidence and get him back on track, but such was not the case. So yea, make him a CHK line center, pay him a checking line center's salary, let him score 15 goals and get 30 assists (in a full season), pay him $3.75 mil/year, and I will be happy. My apologies for being so off topic, I just feel like Torts and Richards are so connected, from the TBL to NYR days.

Would anyone consider firing Dan Bylsma? I know it might seem crazy making it to the conference final and all, but was coaching strategy really there? Defeating two significantly overpowered teams only to face the Bruins to be completely shut down. Cmon you have Malkin Crosby Iginla Letang Neal... list goes on and you still can't score more than two goals in a playoff series.

Krueger out in Edmonton. Looks like Dallas Eakins will be introduced there today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425081

As far as firing Bylsma...I don't think they make that move right now. But, if next season starts slow...and the offence struggles and Goal tending (and who he handles it) becomes an issue, then they fire him 15-20 games in with lots of time to rebound. That assumes that there is at least 1 or 2 decent replacements still available after all the offseason moves have been made.

I don't think one bad series is enough to ditch Bylsma. It may have shortened his rope and if they get off to a bad start next season then you may see them make a move but I think the series exposed the defensive weakness of the Penguins more than any weakness of the coach.

The Pens are over reacting if the fire Bylsma. Thier goalie coach has already resigned before he gets fired. When your top players are held without a point regardless of what line combination you come up with it is more the players than the coach. Could it be the Pens were just out played...no someone has to be blamed. It seems like in modern day sports coaches are disposable and player accountability is minimal. The highly paid, pampered athlete is not performing up to standards and it automatically is the coaching. Yes some coaches should be let go, Torts is a good example (Slats should be fired before he gets to resign). Even though Babcock took the Wings farther than most expected they didn't make it to the finals again, but you don't see Ken Holland calling for his head. If the Pens go into panic mode before next season starts I think the team may go backward before they can go forward.

When you have a roster that is perceived to be that talented and deep, there are always going to be questions about the coach after they get knocked off "early".

Truth is apart from winning the cup in 2009 (and Therrien brought up just short the previous year, so 2009 was sort of an extension of his work), Bylsma has done little in the playoffs since then. Players have to be held accountable for sure, but at some point, some of the responsibility falls squarely on the coach's shoulders. I'd let Bylsma go personally.

Truth is apart from winning the cup in 2009 (and Therrien brought up just short the previous year, so 2009 was sort of an extension of his work), Bylsma has done little in the playoffs since then. Players have to be held accountable for sure, but at some point, some of the responsibility falls squarely on the coach's shoulders. I'd let Bylsma go personally.

Hard to blame the coach for the porous defense and swiss cheese goalies.

Hard to blame the coach for the porous defense and swiss cheese goalies.

While individual execution isn't the fault of the coach, it is an issue if the players aren't capable of executing his scheme, or the scheme is flawed. You have to go with what works for your roster, not your ideal team. All of that said, I don't think he should be on the hot seat, but I really haven't analyzed a ton of Pens action.

I'd expect that from a snot nosed 'only here 'cause Daddy owns the team' type executive...but not from someone who has been around the League as long as McT.

While individual execution isn't the fault of the coach, it is an issue if the players aren't capable of executing his scheme, or the scheme is flawed. You have to go with what works for your roster, not your ideal team. All of that said, I don't think he should be on the hot seat, but I really haven't analyzed a ton of Pens action.

The scheme worked great for a huge chunk of the season and got them to the ECF. He just didn't have an answer for the Bruins pushing them around. Not much you can do there: and the goalies certainly didn't help.

Short of it: Don't think Bylsma is going anywhere, either.

The goalies didn't really let down the Penguins in that series, it was the guys in front of them. The Bruins had a few gimmee goals, especially in the 6-1 game that no goalie would have had a chance on.

I didn't like the fact that he put a player who has scored 500 goals on the right side at left wing, and refused to really juggle his line combos to get anything going. Ie, why not try Iggy with Crosby given that they've shown some chemistry together in the past.

Its ignorant to blame the goaltending, Vokoun put them in position to win games as Chippa alluded to and their "juggernaut" offense didn't deliver whatsoever. What I saw was no one stopping on pucks (especially Crosby and Malkin), a ton of ill-advised blind passes, and forwards not backchecking as hard as they should. That to me is on the coach and a country club/zero accountability culture more than anything.

The scheme worked great for a huge chunk of the season and got them to the ECF. He just didn't have an answer for the Bruins pushing them around. Not much you can do there: and the goalies certainly didn't help.

Short of it: Don't think Bylsma is going anywhere, either.

I personally don't like the construction of their defensive unit.Letang takes way too many unnecessary chances on a remarkably talented offensive team and plays like a coaches nightmare at times, I'd guess they move him in the off season. It was also questionable to add Paul Martin to an already soft back end. I think they recognized this late and tried to fix it by adding Douglas Murray who moves his feel like hes anchored in concrete.

With as talented as they are on the front end, they need to find more guys like Brooks Orpik on the back-end. Defense first guys that will move the puck up to their horses. MA Fleury is a talented goalie, in my opinion their defense put him in a number of bad spots early in the playoffs and his confidence eroded to the point where he was horrible.

I didn't like the fact that he put a player who has scored 500 goals on the right side at left wing, and refused to really juggle his line combos to get anything going. Ie, why not try Iggy with Crosby given that they've shown some chemistry together in the past.

Its ignorant to blame the goaltending, Vokoun put them in position to win games as Chippa alluded to and their "juggernaut" offense didn't deliver whatsoever. What I saw was no one stopping on pucks (especially Crosby and Malkin), a ton of ill-advised blind passes, and forwards not backchecking as hard as they should. That to me is on the coach and a country club/zero accountability culture more than anything.

Couldn't agree more, goaltending was only an issue in game 2 even then it was a "when the floodgates open" issue. To me it was a complete lack of motivation/ horrible play-making/ turnovers galore. Players who i think had a good series Neal and Cooke mainly were held back by the idea that Crosby and Malkin must be on the ice whenever possible, something that Bylsma has only partial control over but never the less a poor decision. Personally I would have put Crosby Malkin Iginla on a line partially to open up space for one another and also to remove their superstar baby attitudes from the other lines and allow them to do their jobs.

As far as Letang goes he was the Penguins most consistent offensive player, his plays were ruined mostly from sub-par play along the blue line and along the boards.

...which leads me to believe one of Fleury, Letang, or Malkin wont be back. Something has to give there, especially when you consider their impending cap hell.

...which leads me to believe one of Fleury, Letang, or Malkin wont be back. Something has to give there, especially when you consider their impending cap hell.

I saw something on TSN that said MAF would be the starter next season.

From Malkins perspective do you stay with your buddy sid or do you try to get out from under Sid and the Penguins rock to prove yourself and go off to lead another team. Most of it will probably come down to dollar and cents but if The penguins feel out malkin and think he won't resign come next years off-season a trade is almost imminent.

I don't think Malkin is the 2nd best player by far. Maybe talent wise but his work ethic is weak. Any team that thinks he is worthy of being "the guy" will regret it. He needs a great player to carry the weight. There's a reason malkin and Datsuk don't have the C.

I'm pretty sure the Pens aren't looking to dump a Norris finalist or the second best player in the world, either.

On a somewhat related note, I really hate that the trophy for "Best DEFENSEman" is now just basically awarded to the highest scoring defenseman.

I don't think Malkin is the 2nd best player by far. Maybe talent wise but his work ethic is weak. Any team that thinks he is worthy of being "the guy" will regret it. He needs a great player to carry the weight. There's a reason malkin and Datsuk don't have the C.

But Malkin seems to be at his very best when Sid has been hurt and he is forced to carry the team. Remember, it was Crosby who largely disappeared in the 2009 finals and it was Malkin who won the Conn Smythe. It seems that Malkin routinely picks up his game when Sid is out or hurting. I'd make a bet on Malkin or Datsyuk (the latter when he was younger).