Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaptainZbubble

Skating with a NHLer

In my local area there is a group of former D1 hockey players and they started a player development program. The program includes privte lessons which I attend twice a week. Recently, they just added the buffalo sabres player Rory Fitzpatrick to their instructor group and my privte lesson is going to be instructed by him. Im really nervous but very excited at the same time. Im a defenseman who is looking to serouisly pick up my level of play. At the beginning of each lesson we talk about what we wanna work on but, im so confused on what i want him to work on with me because its not everyday I can recieve 1 on 1 instructions from a nhl player. Ive been told from coaches my foot speed needs to improve...He was told the same thing when he talked to the sabres coach when he was still playing for rochester. Should i spend most of my time working on foot speed drills he knows? If you where in my shoes ( or skates! :) ), what would you work on with a NHLer? I only get a 1/2 hour lesson and he wont be around long b/c the lockout should end rather soon.

CaptainZbubble

No one can shoot like Nhlers but NHL'ers, so I might work on that if I was in your shoes. But theres probably a billion things he could teach you..

Honestly, don't work on shooting. Anyone can learn to shoot. Skating is an art, and any NHL player is an amazing skater. I'll guarntee that because if they couldn't skate they wouldn't be there. Work on technique, and if he can't explain that to you, then work on positioning, and how to play the man better, 'cause you are a d-man.

Not all NHL players are good skaters. The difference between an average NHLer and a good AHLer is the way they think the game. I'd go over the mental part of the game with him. Ask him his thought process and what he thinks in certain situations. Being a good player doesn't make you a good teacher.

Honestly, don't work on shooting. Anyone can learn to shoot. Skating is an art, and any NHL player is an amazing skater. I'll guarntee that because if they couldn't skate they wouldn't be there. Work on technique, and if he can't explain that to you, then work on positioning, and how to play the man better, 'cause you are a d-man.

i second that

You guys also realize most NHL teams hire outsiders to come in and offer Power Skating lessons right? My one cousin was with the Canes for a while, and his family is, or at least was, involved with the Bulldogs. I don't see why you'd want skating tips. A local Power Skating instructor should be as helpful if not more. Plus skating styles are an individual thing, there are the basics, but not all good skaters skate alike.

As a Dman, I would want him to go 1 on 1 with me and show me all the tricks (in slow mothion) that a forward can use to screw up the defense.

Not all NHL players are good skaters. The difference between an average NHLer and a good AHLer is the way they think the game. I'd go over the mental part of the game with him. Ask him his thought process and what he thinks in certain situations. Being a good player doesn't make you a good teacher.

I'd disagree that not all NHLers are good skaters. I think that just about every single NHLer has to be able to skate at a certain level - it's what keeps you in the league. The guys in the NHL skate so much faster and quicker than everyday Joe's it's retarded. Most knocks against young players is their skating -most of them stick in the minors to improve their technique and speed. It happened with Spezza, and it happened with a sniper like Luc Robitaille.

You think Wade Belak sucks and is slow, but he plays at Half Speed at one of my local rinks because we can't keep up (and there are some pretty decent players there). Against regular guys, the worst skaters in the NHL are f'n Pavel Bure.

Skating is the most important skill in hockey - I agree with Dan.

But theres probably a billion things he could teach you..

Thats where im confused. Im thinking i will work on 1 on 1's and tight d-zone situations in the corners b/c i can always get faster/smarter when making the breakout with pressure.

Keep the idea's flowing......

CaptainZbubble

Well, I tend to think what makes a guy an NHL'er is the on ice vision he has, the speed he able to do things in the game, quick decision making skills, and consistency.

I have seen HS kids up to AHL'ers who can skate like an NHL'er or shoot like an NHL'er. But chances are they are lacking one of those things. Most of those things are hard to teach. I would just work on your weaknesses and take in as many tips as possible. have a good time with it.

Not sure about that Theo. I think they may look like they can skate like NHLers, but put 'em side by side, and I think you'll see who outskates who by a mile.

You can see it in the pros - guys that are amazing skaters like Marchant and Draper (don't get me wrong, they're both underrated offensively) who don't have the best hands or on-ice vision are there because they can skate like all get out. Their skating is what creates opportunities for them. It's their bread and butter.

However, I suppose you couldn't have argued with lesser skaters like Robitaille and Hull, since they were sacking 50+ goals a year...even Hull said it himself - when he was in Dallas he was always lagging behind his linemates (Modano and Lehtinen) because he wasn't as good a skater.

Ask what he feels was the aspect of his game that helped him get to the NHL level and work on that with him. He's most likely to give good advice about that part of his game.

Well, I tend to think what makes a guy an NHL'er is the on ice vision he has, the speed he able to do things in the game, quick decision making skills, and consistency.

I have seen HS kids up to AHL'ers who can skate like an NHL'er or shoot like an NHL'er.  But chances are they are lacking one of those things.  Most of those things are hard to teach.  I would just work on your weaknesses and take in as many tips as possible.  have a good time with it.

I agree with Theo...It's something to skate fast without a puck but how many players can skate fast with the puck and keeping control of their moves. Look at guys like Datsyuk-Samsonov-Kovalev-Forsberg, they don't lose speed when they take control of the puck and that's a skills that help them a lot. Like some scouts like to say, to be a great hockey player, your hands need to follow your feet.

Don't get me wrong, skating is important, but its not do or die. If you aren't able to think the game quickly, you cannot play at a high level. It's as simple as that. Looks at guys like Antropov, Anderchuk, Worrel, these guys are NHL calibre players and they are not up to snuff with a fair bit of players I know. Being a good skater is an advantage, but its not a necessity to play in the NHL. Being able to think is. I know Anderchuk could barely skate backwards and when Worrel went to Junior camps he couldn't at all. Skating information from the Pro's is most often second hand information.

Don't get me wrong, skating is important, but its not do or die. If you aren't able to think the game quickly, you cannot play at a high level. It's as simple as that. Looks at guys like Antropov, Anderchuk, Worrel, these guys are NHL calibre players and they are not up to snuff with a fair bit of players I know. Being a good skater is an advantage, but its not a necessity to play in the NHL. Being able to think is. I know Anderchuk could barely skate backwards and when Worrel went to Junior camps he couldn't at all. Skating information from the Pro's is most often second hand information.

I'm completely agree with this comment and for Worrell it's true, this guy had never skate before going to the junior camp.

Don't get me wrong, skating is important, but its not do or die. If you aren't able to think the game quickly, you cannot play at a high level. It's as simple as that.

I'm not sure that is something that can be taught, though. There are a couple very good hockey players on my team that, skill-wise, could be league leaders and easy All-Star selections at the end of the year. But, they seem to be reacting rather than dictating. They are very good skaters with good foot speed, but when they try to jump to Juniors next season, that 1/4 step they are losing off-the-bat is going to kill them, and probably get them cut.

Let's face it a guy like Worrell isn't in the NHL for his skating ability. His advantage is the fact that he is 6'-6" 235lbs and willing to do the dirty work. How many of you guys are planning on getting there via that route?

In my opinion what seperates an NHler and a career minor leaguer is the ability to think, skate, and do all the little things right. The mental aspect of the game is what made Gretzky the highest scoring player of all time, he was always thinking one step ahead of the play, great vision for the play about to develope.

As far as skating goes, I think the guys that stick are the ones who are great skaters, as mentioned previously not just the guy that can fly down the ice, but the guy with balance, power, speed, and the ability to do it all with a puck on the end of his stick.

As for "the little things" backchecking, killing penalties, pride in your defensive game, and doing them all 100%, no floating. There are guys in the league that aren't the fastest skater, don't have the hardest shot, seem to have hands of stone when it comes to finding the net, but these guys stick because they know their role and work hard on doing it right. A guy like Mike Eastwood hasn't been around 13 years because he's expected to score 40 a year.

You are obviously getting a great opportunity to work with Rory, so work on your weaknesses, he might be able to give you some good drills to help you out there, especially since he had the same problem in the past. Don't worry about not looking like the greatest player in the world out there just because you are doing something that isn't one of your strengths. If you simply work on what you are good at you will never improve your overall game.

Don't get me wrong, skating is important, but its not do or die. If you aren't able to think the game quickly, you cannot play at a high level. It's as simple as that.

I'm not sure that is something that can be taught, though. There are a couple very good hockey players on my team that, skill-wise, could be league leaders and easy All-Star selections at the end of the year. But, they seem to be reacting rather than dictating. They are very good skaters with good foot speed, but when they try to jump to Juniors next season, that 1/4 step they are losing off-the-bat is going to kill them, and probably get them cut.

Your right its not something that can be entirely taught, but if you are smart and lucky enough to be able to see it, his experiences will help. Also I think you'll be surprised by Juniors. The kids who were great whether they could see the ice or not are not where I expected them to be right now, at 19. Those guys who seems to always get things done and have a role, are the ones who are generally higher. It's kind've weird to look around and see it. I know guys who are/ were incredible hockey players, OHL draftees, star AAA players who aren't very high up either in junior, or quit altogether, but the guys who seem to prevail are the guys who are constantly working. The level is good, but not alot of kids stick around at Junior A that aren't willing to sacrafice. Major junior A is differen't, but alot of kids aren't willing to be delegated to 3rd and 4th line duty who have always been stars.

I had my lesson today and it was a fun experiance. We talked about the lock-out. He just said that he miss's playing but enjoys helping the younger players develop.

he's a real nice guy and had some fun drill's for me. We worked on foot speed for 20 minutes or so then we played PIG. He is really good at shooting but he wasnt really trying but, when he did....it was sick! I got some awsome drills and a life memory.

So thats my update,

CaptainZbubble

I had my lesson today and it was a fun experiance. We talked about the lock-out. He just said that he miss's playing but enjoys helping the younger players develop.

he's a real nice guy and had some fun drill's for me. We worked on foot speed for 20 minutes or so then we played PIG. He is really good at shooting but he wasnt really trying but, when he did....it was sick! I got some awsome drills and a life memory.

So thats my update,

CaptainZbubble

...Sounds like fun. I'm thinking I'm going to have to schedule a few myself whenever I find the freetime.

Did he give you any pointers? Or did he basically just run you through the drills?