Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Bearing suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions for bearings? I want something that lasts. The last set of bearings I had that lasted were BSB swiss and those lasted FOREVER with minimal maintenance. They were fantastic. I was looking at the Oust Moc 9 and the Bones Swiss

Bones swiss. Hands down the best bearing for your money. Through the years iv had most brands/makes and the Bones Swiss I have been using now (sense christmas) are hands down the best.

Bones swiss. Hands down the best bearing for your money. Through the years iv had most brands/makes and the Bones Swiss I have been using now (sense christmas) are hands down the best.

+1,000,000

bones are the best IMHO. i use the super swiss 6 but thats not needed. go with their regular swiss or if you want try their super reds for a little less.. they need such little maintenance but when you do clean them theyre like new.

Depending on how much you want to spend. Bones products will not let you down and they have price points at every level. Even the standard Redz wont let you down. But once you go swiss...there is no turning back.

At the end of the day it depends how much you want to spend.

From what i've read and seen at the local rink the Bones ceramics(swiss or reds) require the least servicing.
The silicon Nitrade bearings break down debris and can be used for longer periods without being serviced.

Combined with the increased performance & much less heat/friction you really can't go wrong.
I'm personally planning to get a set myself.

For indoor play the ceramics are overkill imho. The regular swiss need such little servicing as is it's hard to spend more. The ceramics don't break down debris but they repolish the races when dirt gets in there bc they're harder than stainless steel. If I was a competitive speed skater I would go ceramics but for hockey I would pass.

Not to bunk you wicked but those ceramics are expensive and I don't think for hockey the benefits are here.

For indoor play the ceramics are overkill imho. The regular swiss need such little servicing as is it's hard to spend more. The ceramics don't break down debris but they repolish the races when dirt gets in there bc they're harder than stainless steel. If I was a competitive speed skater I would go ceramics but for hockey I would pass.

Not to bunk you wicked but those ceramics are expensive and I don't think for hockey the benefits are here.

Agreed you make a very valid point.

And your 100% correct in regards to repolishing(tired brain lol)

My own needs are a little bit different from the average hockey player(which I tend to forget sometimes lol).

I regularly skate at a rink where we all have hockey skates and the session games are all hockey based training games and also alot of speed/endurance related games as well.

So for us being mostly overly competive males(and some females) look for any advantage we can get to go faster, last longer, stop harder & just improve performance in general. lol

The only advantage I can see during hockey would be the less friction/heat factor coming into play in the later stages of the game "possibly" making you slightly more nimble.

Obviously depending on heat, how fast you skated, how fast you intend to skate.......etc

I've been skating on a combination of swiss and titanium 688 minis from both of my wickeds since 2007 because I spend all my money on crap instead. lol

They grind, creak, groan & haven't been effective since 2010 so in my case a 608 entry point bearing would do me wonders. :P

yeah mini bearings were a very odd phase. even the wheels built for them were never as good.

And for your use the ceramics may make more sense. as for the heat factor it wouldnt be for a hockey game, too many breaks with the shifts and youre not going 100% all of the time. it would be good because with proper care they wont loose speed over time form wear. which, as you said is needed when you get guys (and girls) being competitive.

No question, Bones Swiss, best deal on the market ($75).I have tried them all (well most of what is out there), and there is not a set that lasts as long, run as smooth, quick and quietly as Bones Swiss.

They are easy to clean, and relube, then they are literally as good as new, i've be using one pair for 6+ years, and I play all year, sometimes as much as 5 times a week.

For the budget minded, the Bones Reds are a great deal ($27), but plan on replacing them after about a full year of use... They start to wear out after so much use.

Other brands that market there bearings as "Swiss", like Mission or HiLo, are missing the boat somewhere... I have quite a few sets of these and they simply just don't compare. They don't run as smooth or as quick. I'm guessing they have lower spec to follow, thus they come out with sets that are just not very good right out of the box.

I've always gone for the budget approach and figure that if a standard 608zz ABEC 1 bearing is rated up to about 30,000 rpm then it's more than adequate for my needs. A nice shiny ABEC 9 will be in pretty much the same state as an ABEC 1 after the first time you use it in anger . All I would recommend is that you buy bearings from bearing manufacturers rather than skate manufacturers , you'll probably be getting the exact same thing but for a much lower price.

I've always gone for the budget approach and figure that if a standard 608zz ABEC 1 bearing is rated up to about 30,000 rpm then it's more than adequate for my needs. A nice shiny ABEC 9 will be in pretty much the same state as an ABEC 1 after the first time you use it in anger . All I would recommend is that you buy bearings from bearing manufacturers rather than skate manufacturers , you'll probably be getting the exact same thing but for a much lower price.

Try going from a swiss or even an abec 9 to a 3 or a 1. It'll feel like something is dragging you down, especially after a skate or two. Itdoesn't matter what it's rated at bc you won't hit those rpms and those are rated for machine use and measuring a failure point where things break. The tighter tolerances and much more polished balls and races of say a bones swiss is what makes the bearing able to spin longer at higher speeds and give less resistance to your push.

If you're a budgeter and don't want to spend the amount needed for bones swiss try their reds. I gaurantee youll feel a difference

I've been very happy with the reds although I plan to move to the super reds or Swiss in the future. I also like that alll are available in a 8 count box so it's cheaper to have spares.

Try going from a swiss or even an abec 9 to a 3 or a 1. It'll feel like something is dragging you down, especially after a skate or two. Itdoesn't matter what it's rated at bc you won't hit those rpms and those are rated for machine use and measuring a failure point where things break. The tighter tolerances and much more polished balls and races of say a bones swiss is what makes the bearing able to spin longer at higher speeds and give less resistance to your push.

If you're a budgeter and don't want to spend the amount needed for bones swiss try their reds. I gaurantee youll feel a difference

I second this.

Souldriver is on the money.