Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dc00

Uneven stride

A little bit more information is likely needed.

Has your son seen a pediatrician, chiropractor, or other physician to rule out problems with, musculature, pelvis, or legs that are different lengths?

How is his flexibility? Does it seem normal for a kid his age?

There is nothing wrong with him physically. He's a very good skater but his stride on one side is longer than the other, not by too much. This might be common to many. I'm not sure if this is due to leg strength, balance, or something else.

I feel like there is a lot of info missing and a video would help. Is he physically able to stride fully with both legs? If he slows down his stride can he push with both legs to the full extent and is it even when it's slowed. Does he have different length legs? Most people have slightly different legs and arms though in some it's more pronounced. Maybe something simple like a minor muscle strain when it irritates home to fully extend.

Ruling out physical issues, I'd suggest doing stretching and strengthening exercises.

Perhaps a yoga or stretching program would help him open up his hips a bit.

I could also recommend plyometrics - read more about them here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

He could also work on stride extensions off ice, with his runners on, holding a medicine ball or similar in his hands. Basically he's in hockey stance and extending his legs back behind him, like he's striding, and rapidly changing sides. This will help build his core and stretch those muscles in a natural stride feeling. Squats or similar (also with that medicine ball) would help build some equal strength in his leg muscles (if this is the issue).

Well before we start in with strength training and all that how old is your son. I feel like people jump on kids for strength training way too early. Could he also be going through a growth spurt where he isn't 100% with how his body is?

Almost everyone has a noticeably dominant side and that results in a slightly uneven stride for many, many people. The most important part is to try and consciously fix it. E.g. if you aren't getting as much extension on the right side, force a more powerful and lengthy toe snap on that foot.

It's a problem I've had as well, just natural body dynamics etc.

Almost everyone has a noticeably dominant side and that results in a slightly uneven stride for many, many people. The most important part is to try and consciously fix it. E.g. if you aren't getting as much extension on the right side, force a more powerful and lengthy toe snap on that foot.

It's a problem I've had as well, just natural body dynamics etc.

I think most likely this is what's happening. But not sure how to fix it. Thanks for all the feedbacks.