Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JasonW180

Wheel Setup

I need new wheels for my MIssion A7's, the Revision wheel matrix says I should be 76 on the front and rear and 74 in the middle.

I weigh 195 and play on sport court, I really dont want to lose much speed but want to be able to stop when I powerslide without losing my footing.

Is the Revision suggestion correct? It seems like the wheels are a little soft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

On sprungs I've always used wheels much harder than I would on hilos. Addictions or something in the 76a range all the way through.

You have it backwards, you want the harder wheels in the middle for speed while the softer ones in front and back add grip for stops and turns.

I personally use addictions and love them but the X grip Rink Rats are pretty popular here among the bigger guys as well.
Got a chance to use a friends set briefly a few weeks back and I can attest to them being very grippy but can't comment on durability but if they're anything like the world cups...

i use rink rats and love them. im 250lbs and use the hot shots 78a. i used to use the hornets (the split ones) but after talking to the guys at rink rat they recommended due to my weight i use the hot shots bc they have less of the m-tech and they wont bend as much on me. worked like a charm.

since youre only 195lbs and barely over the magical 180lbs mark that defines what wheel hardness to go with go with the 76as in rink rat. if you find them too gummy, especially for hot summer play then put two 78as in the middle positions. i wouldnt go all 78as bc youre not that heavy and you are concerned with grip.

i use rink rats and love them. im 250lbs and use the hot shots 78a. i used to use the hornets (the split ones) but after talking to the guys at rink rat they recommended due to my weight i use the hot shots bc they have less of the m-tech and they wont bend as much on me. worked like a charm.

since youre only 195lbs and barely over the magical 180lbs mark that defines what wheel hardness to go with go with the 76as in rink rat. if you find them too gummy, especially for hot summer play then put two 78as in the middle positions. i wouldnt go all 78as bc youre not that heavy and you are concerned with grip.

If the OP was using a hi-lo or flat all 80 chassis then around 76a as you suggested would make sense, but since he's on Sprungs he can likely get away with 78a and still have good grip even though he's only 195lbs. The Sprung suspension adds some grip and allows one to use harder wheels.

What chassis are you using Souldriver? If it's a hilo or all 80 then 78a makes sense - if you used a Sprung chassis then you'd probably want to find the hardest indoor wheel you could use at 250lbs. I'm around 230lbs and use Sprungs with 78a hot shots on Sport Court, but have also used 80a hot shots (they no longer make those) and Revision Steel wheels (also 78a, but they feel a touch harder than the hot shots) and was considering trying the X grip 84a outdoor Hot shots in the future...on the back wheels at minimum (since they wear down faster).

The general rule for Sprung users is to go at least one durometer higher then they'd use with a standard chassis. This is based on personal experience and feedback from other Sprung users (mik3 who responded first being one of them). The inventor of the chassis also recommended using harder wheels in the long Sprung thread as softer wheels can make the suspension bog down and the skater feel like they're skating in mud.

well i never used sprungs and yes now i use a hilo and just got off of an all 80 setup.

but one thing i want to add. i dont see anywhere in the OPs post, or even in his profile that he uses sprungs. he has only 1 post so im guessing that unless you know him outside of here there is no other way i could have known this. if he does use sprungs, and that is the rule of sprungs, then yes use 78as

well i never used sprungs and yes now i use a hilo and just got off of an all 80 setup.

but one thing i want to add. i dont see anywhere in the OPs post, or even in his profile that he uses sprungs. he has only 1 post so im guessing that unless you know him outside of here there is no other way i could have known this. if he does use sprungs, and that is the rule of sprungs, then yes use 78as

I reread the OP and you're completely right - I'd only skimmed it at first and saw A7. The fact that A7s were mentioned coupled with the first response that mentioned Sprungs gave me the idea he had Sprungs, but upon rereading it he says Mission A7 so either he's using the stock Mission hilo chassis or it's a pair of Missions with Sprung A7s. It's not completely clear at this point and your guess is as good as mine.

If he's using hilos then your recommendation to go with 76a wheels makes sense. If he's using Sprungs then he can probably go with 78a wheels.

Come to think of it. I have a bunch of hornet splits that came with my ac2 skates that I'll let go for cheap if you want to dabble. There unused except 2 of the front 76mm wheels have a game on them bc I didn't have harder replacements on hand. They're top tier wheels but I can't usr them bc all new skates come with dumb soft wheels.

Just put a 72-76-80-76 configuration on my Bauer XR's. My Sprungs fell apart finally and the cost of replacing was more than a new pair of skates, which I needed anyway.

So far it's pretty good. The original 76-76-80-80 set up seemed to flat and I had a hard time skating as I flip-flop between ice and roller every other day it seems. Refereeing keeps you busy.

There's a little more toe kick now and turning doesnt seem so cumbersome, hopefull this doesnt destroy the skate.

To the OP, it all depends on how much you want to spend. At your weight on a sport court you can go with 76a addictions, Rink rat splits or Revision Variant Plus - any of those will give you excellent stopping power and you should get a reasonable life out of them. If you don't want to pay the big dollar for wheels then the millenium grippers are good value, as you drop down in price you generally trade off grip for durability.

The revision matrix is right, this would give you great grip and the wheels, in that formation, should wear ok. But if you ever rotate the 74's to the front and rear then you are most likely going to chew thru them fast. For this reason I don't recommend this set up unless you had a Rbk / CCM frame that had all 76mm in the middle. Go the one durometer and then rotate your wheels regularly.