Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Souldriver

Forced back to a cage

At the moment, it seems the Re-Akt is the cage to end all cages. The freedom from swinging around an extra half pound on the face is worth the premium you'll pay. It's pretty much the only cage right now that a militant visor user has a chance at being at peace with.

Mine looks and feels minty fresh on my V-10. Doesn't pinch on the temples and plays nice with all the old hardware from the FM-whatever it replaced.

Is the Re-Akt cage a tad more open to improve visibility or is it mostly weight savings? Was recently playing with nothing and took a deflected puck off the side of my face. Didn't hurt too bad but I'll call it my free pass on not getting busted. Cage is back on now and I already don't like it but have slowly been getting used to it. I'm all for paying the premium if the Re-Akt cage is both lighter and improves visibility.

I think my helmet now has the Easton e500 cage?

Yeah the transition shoukdnt be soo hard as I used to use a cage. I'm hoping the newer cages are a little better than the old ones.

Also wearing nothing scares me. I don't know how you did that to be honest.

When I started, nobody wore anything on their heads, so that's what we were used to. Insurance forced people into helmets, then facial protection. It was a more abrupt change for me, because I wasn't playing when that happened. I came back to the game, and had to get used to both a helmet and a cage.

Is the Re-Akt cage a tad more open to improve visibility or is it mostly weight savings? Was recently playing with nothing and took a deflected puck off the side of my face. Didn't hurt too bad but I'll call it my free pass on not getting busted. Cage is back on now and I already don't like it but have slowly been getting used to it. I'm all for paying the premium if the Re-Akt cage is both lighter and improves visibility.

The RE-AKT cage visibility is better for me. I think how it fits with your head and helmet will determine exactly where the bars line up with your vision, and how far they sit from your eyes, so you'll have to try it yourself to know how it works for you.

The light weight of Ti should make a difference for anyone, though, not continually pulling the helmet down in front.

The re-akt has the oval shaped bars that improve the visibility and people seem.to like the gunmetal color to blend in with everything. Mines coming soon, I went with a large cage for my medium helmet as others said the medium was rather small and the large fit well.

When it gets here in a week or so I'll be happy to let you know how it fits and how everything lines up.

The re-akt has the oval shaped bars that improve the visibility and people seem.to like the gunmetal color to blend in with everything. Mines coming soon, I went with a large cage for my medium helmet as others said the medium was rather small and the large fit well.

When it gets here in a week or so I'll be happy to let you know how it fits and how everything lines up.

I just got this rig set up. I am having an issue with the cage pushing the J clips out. Also, the cage seems to want to get stuck on the ear flaps. So, the Large Re-AKT cage is too wide at one point, and yet too narrow at another, when fitted with the Medium Re-AKT helmet. It is not a huge deal, I can just sort of force it into place, fasten the buttons, and I am good to go. But if I could do it again, I would have probably just gone with something that fits a bit better. (I do not know what, still remains to be seen)

So you're saying the med was too small but the large was a bit too big? You would think there would be something good since it's a Bauer set up. Well I'll see when it gets here.

So you're saying the med was too small but the large was a bit too big? You would think there would be something good since it's a Bauer set up. Well I'll see when it gets here.

I never tried on the large Re-AKT helmet, if you are referring to the Lrg helmet. I measured my head size: 23.5 cm, and just went with the recommendations of the guys at the IW, as I was right on the cusp of the Med/Lrg helmet guidelines. Also, another guy in this forum with a 23.5 cm head size said that the L was too big for him.

If I could do it again, then I would probably just have gone with the Mission Inhaler Lrg with cage, and paid 1/3 what I have ended up paying ($120 instead of the $260 for the M/M combo+60 for the Lrg Titanium cage, and have gotten enough protection and comfort as I need). All good though, I like what I have, and if I end up using it for as long as some of these beer leaguers I skate with (who use Jofa and Koho helmets from the 1980's), then it will all be good.

If you are referring to the Lrg cage, then it is not even that it is too big, it's just that it is not an ideal fit. I will make it work- no big deal, it just does not glide smoothly over the helmet, as I would like it too. It is too big at the J clips, and to narrow or long or whatever at the ears. Not a huge deal though, I just force it a bit, and it works.

And yea, the Med cage is definitely too small for me. For my friend who tried this on (smaller Indo guy), the M/M helmet combo was perfect, but he is like 5'8, 165 lbs, with a proportional head size, FWIW.

Mounted the large re-akt cage to the medium helmet and I think it's the right choice for me. As cosmic said it wants to hit the ear loops when you put it up and you have to get it in the j hooks but I think it fits well. I just buckle the chin strap first and then put up the cage and it seems to be ok, it'll be a loan if I take the helmet off a lot and I need to jump on the rink quick bc it's not the quickest ordeal. I will need my gloves off to put the helmet on. I set the j hooks so they were the lowest and when the cage is up my chin fits right in the chin cup. If I went with a medium I fear the chin cup would have missed and been above or in front of my mouth, or so tight I wouldn't be able to speak which is a very big part of my game.

I do have a light concern about the horizontal bars, there is one right under straight ahead, it's kind of in the way but it's low and thin enough that I thi.k it will be ok. Plus straight ahead is the big stuff like players, the goalie and the net. What I'll have to figure out during the game is how side to side peripheral vision is and more importantly to me, the bottom bar seems clear for me. This is a concern bc with a bar there I can see the puck out of my peripheral bottom vision and I would have to put my head down. First games in a week or two but I'm hoping to get in a pickup game before that to knock off the rust. After a couple of games I'll put up a review.