Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Philadelphia Flyers 2013-14

dude, you are the definition of stepford flyer fan. you see everything through orange colored glasses.

this isnt a recent problem. this goes back to the lindros years. they had the best player in the game for multiple years and reached the finals only once. they have failed on multiple levels at talent evaluation and even worse, money management. they give away the farm to average players who are in declining years (amonte,leclair,hacket,hatcher,rathje,vinny,streit etc) and then cannot trade them when they realize they stink because they make too much. thats why they always use the buyout clauses. because they have no clue what they're doing.

also, you are totally undervaluing richards and carter. christ, the off season prior they signed both guys to long contracts and bragged about it! then they proclaimed they found their goalie of the future and proceeded to trade him away a year later. that is proof positive that there is no plan. it is fly by the seat of their pants and throw darts at a board. here's a good article from the inky:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131008_Flyers__culture_needs_refreshening.html

my fave part:

To Snider, the Flyers' chairman, the notion that his franchise has been doing something wrong all this time was just too wild to contemplate, and he was left citing the Flyers' long list of what-ifs and should-have-beens as justification for the promises that people here have heard again and again.

"We've been in the Stanley Cup Finals a lot of times, and we've been in the playoffs a lot of times, and the culture is to win," Snider said. "Thirty teams are trying to win the Cup, and we're doing our damnedest to do it."

It was the truest thing Snider said, but he still couldn't see, even within his own words, the contradiction that cuts to the core of the organization's problem. The Flyers aren't special because they try to win every year. Every team tries to win every year. But not every team regards a season without a playoff appearance - or even a three-game losing streak - as a reason for upheaval.

The Flyers' lack of patience, their unwillingness to consider a longer view or embrace an innovation before it's already become old hat, their reliance on the tired cliché of "Flyers hockey" - together, those factors have created a vicious cycle that has kept them from achieving their ultimate goal.

The foundations of their franchise, as Berube said, are "character, hard work, competitiveness" - intangibles that are meaningless without the necessary talent or tactics. They pat themselves on the back, as Snider did Monday, for doing whatever it takes, for acting immediately in the name of chasing championships. Still, they apparently never stop to wonder whether that very approach contributes to their failure to win another Cup.

If the Flyers had just a hint of patience then Richards and Carter wouldn't have had to be the guys in Philadelphia. They would have had a top six that included Richards, Carter, Giroux, and van Riemsdyk right now. You could have two pretty strong top lines with those 4 split between them.

Yes, I thought Bryzgalov was a good goaltender when the Flyers signed him. The money was a little high but he had decent numbers being the guy on a building Phoenix team. As for Bobrovsky, would it surprise you to know that Bryzgalov had better numbers last year than Bobrovsky had in his last season in Philly? That "future Vezina winner" looked like a one year wonder, flash in the pan. If you can honestly say that you saw Bobrovsky turning into an elite goaltender then I'd like to hit Vegas with you. We could obviously make a killing with that clairvoyance.

i was totally against signing bryz because of his lack of success in the PO. so he was nothing better than bob would give you plus the salary was almost nothing and he was much younger and quicker. to brag about finally getting the goalie of the future and to trade him after only one mediocre PO is insane.

also, lets not forget that the bryz signing was more than just getting him. they had to move richards and carter to make room for him. and now they just paid him 22 million to go away! would any other GM keep their job after costing ownership that much money? maybe amaro.

There isn't a team in the league who hasn't placed the "goalie of the future" tag on some kid they bring into the system only to move him along shortly thereafter because he isn't panning out. Bobrovsky was dumped after a decent rookie year and then a faltering sophomore season where he had a 3.02 GAA and .899 save percentage. The Bruins had to do it twice in a row with Raycroft and Toivonen. Both guys who had outstanding coming out years, mediocre sophomore years and were soon out of the league altogether. Not a whole lot of hockey people faulted Philly for dropping Bobrovsky and adding Bryzgalov, who was putting up solid numbers on a pedestrian Phoenix team.

not in the PO where it counts which was my position. so why bother?

either way, management is a mess and i am not so sure anything changes when hextall gets in there. two GMs since '94 and basically the same ideology.

He pulled an average team into the playoffs in the first place. Those Phoenix teams were on the upswing but didn't have the same level of talent as the Flyers. There was no reason not to expect Bryzgalov's fortunes to improve in the playoffs behind a better team.

He pulled an average team into the playoffs in the first place. Those Phoenix teams were on the upswing but didn't have the same level of talent as the Flyers. There was no reason not to expect Bryzgalov's fortunes to improve in the playoffs behind a better team.

Yes, watching Bobrovsky play I certainly saw all his abilities. Dude was crazy athletic and dedicated like very few are. Of course I have orange colored glasses, I'm a Flyers fan. I believe the Flyers will eventually win the Cup and it will be so much sweeter when they do it lighting joints with hundreds and with faces looking like Casper. To me, that's the whole point of following a team, especially this team.

I've always tried to be realistic. I don't know if this team has it in them this year but the NHL is full of parity that you can't count out the FlyBoys. What is encourage is that they aren't giving up goals at the same they were under Lavi.

The problem is that the Flyers do not do a good job of developing their younger players, especially goalies and defensemen. Guys get thrown into the fire as soon as they show any inkling that they may be able to play in the NHL.

The problem is that the Flyers do not do a good job of developing their younger players, especially goalies and defensemen. Guys get thrown into the fire as soon as they show any inkling that they may be able to play in the NHL.

I would say only goalies and defensemen, they're gold with the forwards. Actually probably just defensemen, I can't think of any goalie prospects; at all. But at least the last defenseman they did that with was Sbisa, and that was five years ago.

I dunno, I imagine this team will be best in three to four years, with possibly Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier, Read, Laughton; and Schenn, Gostisbehere, Hagg, Morin; and then a goalie in Stolarz. I think this is "the plan", and I don't think Snider will mind waiting. Really rich people don't die unless they want to.

Nobody said first line, but if you think 25+ goals from a 25 year-old with the physicality and speed Simmonds has is a decent third line player on an old team, then you crazy. As for prototypical Flyers' fans, they tend to be extremely negative and reactionary.

If Simmonds is on the third liine, your team is stacked haha. Simmonds is a top 6 forward. There is a reason why L.A. drafted him in the 2nd round. Do you, PizzaKid, find any reason to root for the Flyers? And in that case, any of the four teams here in Philly?

As for prototypical Flyers' fans, they tend to be extremely negative and reactionary.

Usually, any new player they pick up is going to be great, until he isn't great. Then they hate him until he is traded. The hate eventually goes away and then they complain that the team traded them away of the player is successful on another team. As for Simmonds, he has the potential to be a good power winger, we'll see if he makes it there.

He has put up numbers over a full season once, he needs to do it more than once in order to prove that it wasn't a fluke.

If Simmonds is on the third liine, your team is stacked haha

Exactly. You made my point for me. On a serious cup contender, simmonds is 3rd line at best. That's where he'd be if he was still in LA.

Simmers is a 2nd line winger. As Troy is pointing out, injuries is contributing to the shuffling of lines. Now McGinn is on the first line and, to his credit, he is producing. It's a wonder he didn't make it to the opening day roster right after camp.

Some comments from the front office and this coaching staff seem indicate a lot of people in the organization would've liked to have Raffl and McGinn start the year with the Flyers. By all accounts everyone had a poor showing in camp. I'd like both to be kept up once the team is healthy, Talbot can play the 4C fine even if Hall is a better on draws. If both are still playing well that 3LW spot can be filled nicely and Rosehill/Newbury will not have to appear in the lineup anymore.

Yeah, agreed, Flyers need a GM who can make sure no top six forwards get injured.

Or maybe a GM who doesn't sign a guy who hasn't played a full season in 7!

Do you mean Lecavalier, the guy who has played at least 75 games in 10 of his 13 seasons? Injuries are a part of the game. We get it, you don't like Holmgren, say something meaningful and rational about it.