Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethan_zak

Help with maximum weight on wheels!

Hey guys! I've noticed on wheel durometers there is a maximum weight. Can a 200 pound player wear 76a wheels? Comment your expierences with going over the weight on wheels. Thanks for all respones!

Nut just a 200 pounder on 76a wheels, but any scenario that is like that one.

Not*

maximum weight? i havnt seen that but there are weight suggestions. im 250lbs and have rolled on 74a labeda millenium wheels that came on my skates bc i had nothing else at the time. they work but they feel noticeably soft when rolling, as in i feel as if im rolling on gummy bears and i slow down much faster. They also chunked fast within a couple of games. I moved onto rink rats which are 76a (outside) and 78a (inside) and they hold up great and grip well without feeling too sticky when rolling.
being over 10-20lbs on a recommended weight for a wheels durometer isnt unheard of, its just when a lot of extra weight is put on it the wheel will tend to breakdown faster.

I think if you're going to skate a softer wheel over the limit stick to the single pour solid wheels like a labeda gripper. I've heard they hold up a little better against chunking.

That said I'm At 190lbs and my skates are currently on 74a millenium fronts, 3rd wheel is a 76a gripper, and rear is a 74a revision variant gold. I've had zero problems with any of them chunking. A lot of it depends on your style of play too. I'd you don't do a lot of aggressive stopping you won't tear them up as quickly. When I started playing hockey again on that setup I was around 220lbs and still didn't have problems.

I will say I've often felt like the soft wheel might be too soft giving up some speed. When I need wheels again I'm consider all 76a or maybe mixing in some 78a.

I've used the harder addiction wheels (i think 78A) at 303 lbs. I'm now 243 and still use them. no chunking issues on sportcourt. Polyurethane wood rinks cause me to chunk the addictions though, so i switch to grippers when i play there.

The best skater is the skater that has excellent balance, technique & smoothness.

The better you are with the above skills, will make you a much lighter skater and increase wheel durability to a substantial extent.

I'm not disregarding wheel ratings at all but the better the skater you become the better you will adapt to different durometres.
Locally i've noticed alot of players neglect the core skating skill exercises and focus soley on game skills.

If you have access to any sort of artistic or learn classes that practice stretches and core skate skills for all skill levels I highly recommend it and you'll notice your wheel wear and game skills/fitness will dramatically improve.

I'm 6 2"185lbs & unless I want something specific i'll just use whatevers available.
With alot of the cheaper wheels though you get what you pay for.

Well said Wicked3Aussie, couldn't agree with you more.

2 years ago I shredded the white addictions that come with ca9's inside of 4 weeks. I got a new pair of ca9's start of this year and have only just changed the white addictions out for some revision plus. This included around 6 hours a week on urethane court which is one of the worst surfaces around for shredding wheels. The biggest difference, I'm on my skates up to 4 hours a day either ice or inline and as I've become a better skater I'm a lot smoother in style and not so hard on my equipment. The inline guys I skate with who are really good (best in our country in senior grade, div 2 at worlds) are out there with the oldest, beaten up wheels you will ever see and they still skate the pants off everyone else.

So the bottom line is: Yes, your equipment does help but what it really comes down to is how good a skater you are. If you are good enough then you can use anything, there is no secret, just practice, practice and more practice.