Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chapel

Replacing old Tuuk runners?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4yFssBy-WPA/UybmSQNUQXI/AAAAAAAAM40/U6nq5F3dN5A/w911-h605-no/1939413_10151978512916984_1382387323_o.jpg

What runners are compatible with older Bauer Tuuk holders?

I see all these ones that are Lightspeed... but mine are just regular old Tuuk holders from the mid-late 90s. Nothing fancy.

my runners got pretty rusty at one point and I blasted them down, but they don't seem to hold a proper edge for long.

is it just this:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/baussrunsr.html

is this something I can replace myself and then just bring in to get sharpened or no?

Yes, it's very easy to replace the runners provided the hardware isn't rusted/swollen. Your Local Hockey Shop will have the tools needed if you don't have a long enough socket driver, but they may charge a small fee. Since you'll need a "first sharpening" and profiling on your new runners, ask them to wave the replacement fee or include it in the price.

To do it yourself, pull out your insole and you should see a white plastic disc under the heel. Take that out, which will allow you access to the retaining screw that locks the runner in place. Simply unscrew it and your runner will be able to slide out.

Here is the Bauer specific tool, but any correct-sized socket driver should work. http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BTW

do you know the size? I have a full set of metric and standard sockets with long extensions.

what exactly is profiling? is that the curve of the blade front to back or the depth of the hollow?

*nevermind, I googled it.

I can't seem to find many replacement steel options on line, it's all the newer stuff

Check the underside of the back post on the runner, it's labeled with a number that is the runner length. Biggest problem is that most common sizes are 272, 280, and 288 and lots of places have run out of that stock.

Your other option is to go through ebay or this site and look for a cheap pair of skates with tuuk/tuuk+/tuuk custom+ runners (all the same steel) with decent steel life remaining in the same length as your current holders. A good start is based on size - generally within 1/2 size in either direction from your size *might* have the same length steel (50/50 shot really), so it's always a good idea to message the seller and ask what the runner length is. Obviously try to get blades that aren't totally covered in rust. Size-runner pairs have also changed slightly over the years so be careful.

Third option, but significantly more expensive, is to locate somewhere that sells ST-Custom steel from step. I found this company, Midwest Skate, but I have no idea how their service is or if their website is updated to reflect current inventory. They seem to focus more on figure skating. Step steel is, however, excellent, and if they do have it it will hold an edge for you. Links below.

http://shopmidwestskate.com/Hockey_2/Velocity-Steel/ST-Custom-Velocity
http://shopmidwestskate.com/Hockey_2/Velocity-Steel_2/ST-Custom

You have to take all the laces out, flop the tongue all the way out, and there should be a cap over an access hole in the front of the skate just like in the back.

If the holders were attached to newer skates, they won't have the front hole and you'll have to drill it or get a shop to drill it for you.

hmm, I'll have to see if I can find any NOS runners. because I'm not dropping $90 on runners for skates I don't even really like.

do you know the size? I have a full set of metric and standard sockets with long extensions.

*nevermind, I googled it.

8mm.

11/32 works but is a tad big--use a 6-pt socket instead of 12-pt (so you don't strip it--12pt is uncommon that small anyway).

5/16 might work but will be tight.

I welded an unused 11/32 socket to a long screwdriver handle and leave it in my hockey bag.

Your other option is to go through ebay or this site and look for a cheap pair of skates with tuuk/tuuk+/tuuk custom+ runners (all the same steel) with decent steel life remaining in the same length as your current holders. A good start is based on size - generally within 1/2 size in either direction from your size *might* have the same length steel (50/50 shot really), so it's always a good idea to message the seller and ask what the runner length is.

Often wide skates a size down will have the same size runner.

There were a lot of Custom+ runners on eBay earlier this winter. A lot of it looked like "new old stock". Keep looking. Just might not be much this week.

Your other option is to get Lightspeed holders and runners installed. I believe they're about $30 a side, plus you'll pay about $20-25/ea to get them mounted. Again, negotiate with a shop.

Your best bet is a new or used set of Custom+ runners. I wouldn't spend more than $30+shipping.

If you don't even like the skates, then definitely save your money to buy skates you like!!

I'm willing to bet the nuts are gonna be rusted and hard to remove. Go to a shop for a one time swap. When I had custom + my shop opted to swap the entire holder as he said it was easier to do and was willing to take the $ hit to save the trouble of the toe nut.

Cheap to try to remove them yourself. Costs $0 to find out if the toe nut is rusted or not!

(were some Custom+ skates undrilled? I recall a thread here a few months ago that implied that)

8mm & 5/16 are the same size, I keep a 5/16 6 pt modified deep socket in my bag and my sons bags. Ebay had a a bunch of the custom+ steel and nuts, monkey sports had some at one point too might want to check them too.