Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Montreal Canadiens: 2014-2015

In a Florida/San Jose game...the same hit may not draw a penalty. But, given all that has gone on with these 2 (teams and players)...it might have been an attempt to make sure nothing got stupid in the late going.

Maybe, Matt, but there's no reason anything more stupid should have occurred than Emelin putting himself at risk to draw a penalty. It's one thing to turn into the boards with the puck, because the player can say he was trying to escape; but going lengthwise, dumping the puck, and then turning into the boards with about half a second before the other player arrives is obviously fishing for a penalty. So it's disappointing that the refs rewarded that.

Not sure what history has to do with that call or making sure something stupid doesn't happen. It was a clear view play. It wasn't like the ref turned to see Emelin down and Lucic standing over him and he had to guess what happened.

It's a hit that doesn't need to happen. Certain guys need to learn to pull up when a clean hit just isn't there.

Clean hit was there, Emelin turned late.

And that is exactly the mentality that is the problem with so many hockey fans.

I'm sorry, Chadd, but from Lucic's perspective -- meaning an opposing player is carrying the puck a foot away from the boards and has his shoulders outward -- that was a totally clean opportunity until less than a second to go, when Emelin put himself into danger by turning to face the boards.

THAT'S what has to go from hockey.

We can burn the web with the merits of today's NHL interpretation of legally finishing a check some other time. As the game is called now Emelin was more than fair game and bailed out toward the boards at the last instant.

Like I said, that is a whole other discussion for another day. And I think most of us agree that the current way finishing a check is called is not the way it should be.

I'm sorry, Chadd, but from Lucic's perspective -- meaning an opposing player is carrying the puck a foot away from the boards and has his shoulders outward -- that was a totally clean opportunity until less than a second to go, when Emelin put himself into danger by turning to face the boards.

THAT'S what has to go from hockey.

If Lucic stays on his feet and simply glides into Emelin, there is no penalty. It was his desire to hit Emelin as hard as he could that was the problem. Skating halfway across the ice to hit someone results in a charging penalty from time to time as well.

I agree with your premise on both those points, Chadd, but I believe Emelin is more at fault here for putting himself in danger while fishing for a penalty. If Emelin hadn't turned into the boards, I don't believe you would say that Lucic's check was any worse than twenty other checks a game -- harder than some, but not all -- nor do I think the question of charging come up, as both Emelin and Lucic were skating toward the same area. It would have been one player checking a player who had had possession of the puck just half a second earlier.

You know I'm fully supportive of protecting the players, and I realize there's a history between those players, but there was nothing out of the ordinary about that play until Emelin purposefully turned into the boards (other than Lucic weighing more than the average player and causing a slightly harder check).

http://www.tsn.ca/canadiens-place-forward-bourque-on-waivers-1.129631

Bourque placed on waivers. I know he hasn't been effective in the regular season for a while, but he had such a strong playoffs last year I'm not sure I love this move. I do prefer Sekac in the lineup over Bourque, but I'd rather have both of them in the lineup and see a guy like Moen get waived or traded instead. Montreal hasn't exactly been explosive offensively this season and if Bourque is playing well he can actually add a bit of offence. Guys like Moen and Prust are good grinders who put in a lot of effort, but they don't have the offensive ability of a guy like Bourque when he's on his game.

On the plus side maybe Bournival will see some time on the third line with Sekac and Eller when he gets healthy (bumping Prust to the 4th line and Moen to the press box). I wouldn't mind seeing young guys like Bournival getting more playing time or one of the more offensive minded AHL players like Charles Hudon or Sven Andrighetto.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=738664

I expected Moen to be traded, but hoped it'd be for a pick or prospect. I hope playing time isn't taken away from guys like Beaulieu. Gonchar does bring a lot of experience and was a gifted offensive defensemen in his prime. Moen is a hard worker, but really doesn't add any offence. Trading him gives some of the younger guys who can play both ways more playing time.

PP needs help. They rely on PK way too much. He can't play every minute (or almost every minute) of every penalty just because he is the best option. Gonchar will definitely be a part of that. I think another mentor for Emelin is part of this too. Markov has obviously been a big part of that, but I think they want to be able to keep Markov/Subban together more...even though Emelin plays better when he is with Markov. Gonchar is Markov 2.0 (or vice versa)

altoma: Beau will get lots of playing time...I just doubt it will be in Montreal. keep hearing rumours attaching him to Edmonton. I don't think he is a legit top notch NHLer. He will never be better than a 4-6 D-man. I think when all is said and done, Tinordi is the better bet to have a solid NHL career. Both need a LOT of work right now.

Yes, attaining Gonchar should upgrade the second powerplay pairing. Gonchar could potentially be more effective than Gilbert on the second unit. He can also help mentor Emelin. He's an expensive rental at $5 million, but it's only for the rest of this season.

There's some speculation in the comments sections of stories on this trade that it's a precursor to another move that would see the Habs shipping out one of the young d-men and a pick in exchange for a scoring winger like Eberle or Evander Kane. Likely just pure speculation and it'd probably be more costly than a pick and a d-man like Tinordi or Beaulieu to pick up either of those forwards. One of those D could probably land them Yakupov if they wanted a forward with offensive upside.

I'm not sure if Edmonton is looking to give up on Yakupov just yet, and I think it would still need to be a decent package to land a former number one pick, probably a group of players similar to what the Bruins got for Seguin, an established very good player plus a couple of high level prospects.