Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey96

Pond Hockey

What do the conditions have to be like to be able to play Pond hockey. Just Wondering because I am looking forward to playing soon but I dont want someone dieing over stupidity. :P

Ground must be frozen and a surface to flood. Around my area its cold enough, but the snow, rain then snow fall we had kind've screwed it up, but apperantly there are some rinks (even in my area) starting to pop up.

Pond hockey on an actual pond or pond hockey in an arena. Couple years ago local arena had 2 hours on friday's for pond hockey. Helmets are mandatory I'd say lol. I've seen some ugly things happen to tough guys who didnt need them ;)

Well here(ohio) my area is in the negatives for tonight and tommorow and I think through Sunday. I tihnk im gonna go out and look for some ponds and get some friends together when I find a good pond to play on.

its been below 32 degrees for bout a week now, we just got 16 inches of snow in the past 3 days and today it was right around 7 degrees till bout 7PM then it dropped to -10 degrees...Im goin to wait till after sunday and i know where a couple are at...Ill bring a drill too just to be safe...

Played some "pickup" hockey here a few days ago. Mind you it was overcast with cloud and about 36 deg C. I love this weather gets me so fit for hockey and this Summer I have adjusted to the temperature suprisingly well.

Getting back on topic, I wish I could play pond hockey here in Winter but it just doesn't get cold enough, 8 deg C is the lowest it gets to in winter and thats at about 2am. Hence why Ice Hockey isn't big here in Aus and our national team plays in the Div III pool of the Worlds!

Played some "pickup" hockey here a few days ago. Mind you it was overcast with cloud and about 36 deg C. I love this weather gets me so fit for hockey and this Summer I have adjusted to the temperature suprisingly well.

I had to think about it for a second, so for easier understanding: He lives in Australia and as Australia is "down under" on the globe, summer has just begun for them. When we have summer, they have winter aso.

I would go with the 5" recommendation. When I was a pup, came home from college and went out onto the local (big) lake to do some stickhandling. Shot the puck and it sailed forever out to the middle of the lake. I start skating after it, and after a while noticed that the ice had a very dark color where I was skating. Came to realize that the ice in the middle of the lake was MUCH thinner than the ice around the edges. Was probably only and inch or two thick. That was the longest skate back in my life!

Morale of the story: Bring extra pucks so you don't feel the need to get one in a bad place; and if there has been a lot of freeze/thaw action, expect the ice to be thinner in the middle of the lake.

I would go with the 5" recommendation. When I was a pup, came home from college and went out onto the local (big) lake to do some stickhandling. Shot the puck and it sailed forever out to the middle of the lake. I start skating after it, and after a while noticed that the ice had a very dark color where I was skating. Came to realize that the ice in the middle of the lake was MUCH thinner than the ice around the edges. Was probably only and inch or two thick. That was the longest skate back in my life!

Morale of the story: Bring extra pucks so you don't feel the need to get one in a bad place; and if there has been a lot of freeze/thaw action, expect the ice to be thinner in the middle of the lake.

Did that too with my uncle out at the lake last winter, except the ice was so insanely thin I could see water starting to seep through where my blades cut in :o I honestly just about soiled myself, got on my hands and knees and crawled 100 feet back like a little girl :P

IMHO though nothing beets a niecly groomed outdoor rink with boards. Playing on a pond or a river is cool for that nostalgia feel, but losing pucks gets really irritating after a while, and so does the rough ice. We have about a dozen rinks scattered around town, half of them are manned with a guy flooding them several times a night, so it's pretty nice.

If the pond is frozen and we can get a hose with water out onto the pond would it smooth it out after we're done everytime (that being we even go out for one time).

That's a good idea if someone lives close enough. Smooth it out with hot water and then be the first one on the next morning. B)

Ideally you want warmer water (like hockeyman said) because it would bond to the ice surface better (If I have my science correct). But thats not an easy task of couse. We did it with cold fire hydrant water, and some of the ice was the smoothest I have seen the next day. But there were many areas with air pockets and bubbles where your skates would just cut right into the new ice and the ice would shatter like like glass. Either way if you do a very thin layer, it should work out with hot or cold water.

The warm water melts a bit of the top layer of ice before it freezes, so it smooths it out much better than cold water.