Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I bought the pf base and max control during the hockey expo and so far I'm really pleased with the amount of extra control. The downside is the cost since you need to have both the base wax and control wax (apply the base first then apply the control)...oh and these waxes really smell good....I've developed a weird habit of smelling my blade.

• Like 1

I use surf wax. Base works best since it's hardest. You can buy a block for less than a few bucks.

I put on a coat melt it in and then a second coat over it. Works great tape lasts a few games.

• Like 1

A guy I play with uses the Proformance max and let me it try it and it is pretty awesome, the puck seems to stick to your blade when stickhandling, but I just have a hard time justifying dropping $25 for wax when I still have 3 sex waxes and a tin of Howie's that were around $3 each.

I use surf wax. Base works best since it's hardest. You can buy a block for less than a few bucks.

I put on a coat melt it in and then a second coat over it. Works great tape lasts a few games.

Tried this technique the other day. Works great, wax bonds with tape well. Went to stick n puck and shot for about 2 hours. No damage to tape on heel bottom. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I bought the pf base and max control during the hockey expo and so far I'm really pleased with the amount of extra control. The downside is the cost since you need to have both the base wax and control wax (apply the base first then apply the control)...oh and these waxes really smell good....I've developed a weird habit of smelling my blade.s

yes,it smells much better than i ever used.

Pro control = medium tackiness

Max control = maximum tackiness

First I have heard of this product. Gets a lot of good reviews on their website though.

yes,i get it.

Digging this back up from the grave. Can someone explain to me why you need to apply the base and then the Pro/Max wax over it? I ordered the starter set to test and it seems the Max wax sticks just fine to the tape with or without the base wax. Is it just a way for them to get you to spend more money or is there some genuine justifiable significance? 

I should note, I understand the principle behind a wax base coat as I used to surf. However, I dont see how it applies to hockey. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

11 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Digging this back up from the grave. Can someone explain to me why you need to apply the base and then the Pro/Max wax over it? I ordered the starter set to test and it seems the Max wax sticks just fine to the tape with or without the base wax. Is it just a way for them to get you to spend more money or is there some genuine justifiable significance? 

I should note, I understand the principle behind a wax base coat as I used to surf. However, I dont see how it applies to hockey. 

I'm not material scientist but something tells me that.... you don't. I was always convinced it was a way to get you to use it 2x as fast and order more product again. I used the MAX on its own and was totally fine. I use howie's now and when I re-tape my stick, I will put a ton of it on, then melt it in with my heat gun, then come game time I'll apply another very thin layer. Seems every bit as good as the hockey wax. I can get my tape to last 4 or 5 games before it starts getting really jacked up. Also helps keep ice off the blade in the 3rd period since they only cut the ice once for us.

11 hours ago, z1ggy said:

I'm not material scientist but something tells me that.... you don't. I was always convinced it was a way to get you to use it 2x as fast and order more product again. I used the MAX on its own and was totally fine. I use howie's now and when I re-tape my stick, I will put a ton of it on, then melt it in with my heat gun, then come game time I'll apply another very thin layer. Seems every bit as good as the hockey wax. I can get my tape to last 4 or 5 games before it starts getting really jacked up. Also helps keep ice off the blade in the 3rd period since they only cut the ice once for us.

I figured as much. Their wax is nice but way overpriced.

I actually found this to be the softest and tackiest wax I have tested yet.

https://www.sexwax.com/item/qh/

I think the reason for having two different types is the same as surfboards, as mentioned above.  While there's nothing to say you can't just use the control wax, I found when I didn't put the base down I had to use way too much of the control and it got messy.  I honestly don't think it's making you use any more wax than you would have because you'd still have to use more control to really get the tape thoroughly coated.  Personally, I coat all the tape in the base and heat it then rub it with a puck to make a nice, even coat.  Then I only use the control on the lower inch or two of the blade where the puck would make most of the contact.  I've also used the Sex Wax before, but nothing seems to have the longevity and control when cold of that Proformance.  I don't know why.