Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbvnyc

Shipping Hockey Gear

I plan on doing some traveling this upcoming winter to escape the potential shit show the NorthEast might have again. Usually I check my gear, but last time I had 2 sets of extra steel stolen out of my bag at LAX. I have 2 identical sets of gear(including hockey bag), minus skates. I plan on shipping steel with rest of my gear and taking boots in carrying on steelless. I'm not overly concerned about transit time, but would like it to be economical. I plan to put EVERYTHING in my hockey bag and then ship that as a package.

To those who have shipped your hockey bag:

-How did you wrap it(garbage bag, cardboard box)?

-Approximate cost?

-Any other tips/hints?

Cardboard box (combined shipping is usually cheaper than separate).

Estimated per item (shipping from NY, NY, 10001 to SJ,CA, 95124):

-- Pants/Shoulders: $15-$20 within US. $40 to Canada

-- Gloves/Elbows: $15 within US, $18-$25 to Canada

-- Sticks: $12 within US, $28 to Canada

-- Shins: $15 within US, $25 to Canada

-- Helmet: $15 within US, $25 to Canada

-- Jerseys/Socks/Jock/Apparel: $5.15-$9.97 within US, $18 to Canada

Tip: Don't ship to Canada.

Tip: Don't ship to Canada.

This. And don't ship from Canada to ... anywhere...

It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

Oh, wait, is the OP asking about flying with hockey gear?

Really, any time I've flown I haven't worried about anything going missing, but I ensure my hockey bag is in good shape, zippers work, no holes, tears, etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned about taking my skates without steel as carry-on, but it's an idea.

I've never put the bag in anything - just the bag itself.

Sticks I either bundle/tape together and wrap with plastic, bubble wrap, or put in a stick bag.

They'll usually need to go in the oversize chute at the airport anyways.

Costs, depends on the airline, type of ticket, type of flight, etc. It's a crap shoot.

Only other hint. I'll often put my helmet with visor inside my hockey pants for additional protection, so a bump doesn't crack the visor or the helmet.

This. And don't ship from Canada to ... anywhere...

It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

Oh, wait, is the OP asking about flying with hockey gear?

Really, any time I've flown I haven't worried about anything going missing, but I ensure my hockey bag is in good shape, zippers work, no holes, tears, etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned about taking my skates without steel as carry-on, but it's an idea.

I've never put the bag in anything - just the bag itself.

Sticks I either bundle/tape together and wrap with plastic, bubble wrap, or put in a stick bag.

They'll usually need to go in the oversize chute at the airport anyways.

Costs, depends on the airline, type of ticket, type of flight, etc. It's a crap shoot.

Only other hint. I'll often put my helmet with visor inside my hockey pants for additional protection, so a bump doesn't crack the visor or the helmet.

I've checked hockey my bag plenty of times, that's not my concern, I just don't want to have to worry about it getting lost or stuff stolen out of it as I have already experienced. The idiots at the TSA will take anything they think might have value.

I'm specifically asking about how to ship my fully packed hockey bag and how much it might cost.

1.Find a box that will fit all your stuff.

2. Put stuff in box

3. Weigh box and measure the dimensions

4. type this information, along with your to/from addresses into the USPS shipping calculator

Try Sportsexpress.com

They have negotiated far cheaper rates to ship golf clubs than we could ever imagine--should be $40-50.

Buy yourself a golf club bag and stuff your hockey gear into it. You dont have to lie and say it's clubs--but the club bag is the module they're used to shipping.

I have used golf club bags to ship folding kayaks cross country.

They used to ship full size whitewater kayaks and surfboards, but im guessing FedEx upped those rates.

Try Sportsexpress.com

They have negotiated far cheaper rates to ship golf clubs than we could ever imagine--should be $40-50.

Buy yourself a golf club bag and stuff your hockey gear into it. You dont have to lie and say it's clubs--but the club bag is the module they're used to shipping.

I have used golf club bags to ship folding kayaks cross country.

They used to ship full size whitewater kayaks and surfboards, but im guessing FedEx upped those rates.

Thanks will check it out