Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stewie

Wheel recommendations

After some months of skating, my Addiction wheels that came with my RPD Max skates are cracking really bad. I am looking into possibly going up in duro as they are equivalent to a 74a, and I think I have too much weight for them (5'8" 200). I feel like they are way too grippy as well and don't have quite the speed as I would normally have, but its not horrible. My goal is to get to about 180 or 185 here in the next few months. I have come up with some options, and was wondering what opinions people have on them, or any other suggestions. Don't think I want to hit the 14 a wheel mark just yet, but if the 76A addictions, Variants, or 78A krysis are worth it I may consider.

heres what I have been thinking-

RV Variant Classic White (76A) 10$ a wheel

RR ID Conflict Blue (78A) 10$

RR ID Theft Blue (78A) 6$

RR ID Split Greens (78A) 12$

Labeda Millenium Orange (76A) 8$

I went with recommended hardnesses of each manufacturer based on a 185-200 weight range. I have some experience with milleniums, but I had the blues that came with my Team skates and will likely be selling those if I like another wheel.

I'm around the same weight as you and love the orange Millenniums. (Keep in mind I work there). I am in the same boat with the softer Addictions being a bit too soft for me, the orange ones work better, but I like the feeling of the urethane better in the Millennium. Another wheel to consider would be the white Gripper, it is a great wheel for the price, and at one time was the top wheel in inline hockey.

Something to keep in mind when buying wheels, duro is pretty much useless because everyone lies about it. Not to mention, different urethane formulas/cores are going to skate a different way. That is why everyone is moving to x-soft/soft/medium/hard.

yeah that's why I have been more valuing the recommendations of each manufacturer. The Addictions have split in the back to where they are pretty much able to be separated. the front wheels aren't as bad. The millennium orange have a good price, and I think I actually preferred them over the addictions myself as well, granted in an inappropriate grip.

the new signature wheels look sweet as pie, wish they came in the proper grip.

I've had 4 blue Revision Variant Plus Firm wheels (rated 76a) that have held up really well over two seasons - I'm over 220lbs and they haven't split on me and still grip well. I use the Revision Variant Steels in the back positions, but have used all Steels before as well. I have also used Rink Rat Hot Shots in the past (76a, 78a, 80a), World Cups (84a - only for the back wheel), Variant Bronze (76a - I believe they're calling these classics now) all on Sport Court. I have not had a chance to use the Addictions, but here are my favourites in order:

Revision Variant Plus Firm (Blue)

Revision Steel

Revision Bronze

Rink Rat Hot Shot 78a and 80a

Rink Rat Hot Shot 76a (too soft for me and separated several hubs)

Rink Rat World Cup (hubs cracked and lots of splitting for an 84a wheel on Sport Court)

If I were to buy new wheels today I'd probably buy Revision Steels based on the price ($9/wheel vs $12 for the Variant Plus), but would go with the Variant Plus Firm or consider trying the harder Orange Addictions if I found a good deal. It'd have to be an amazing deal for me to try the Addictions though because I already know I like the Steels and Variant Plus.

I was on the blue Revision Variant Plus Firm for the last year or so, they held up really well and kept a good level of grip. My son also had them on and he is one of these ice style stoppers and the wheels didn't crack, just lost their grip after about 6 months, skating 3 - 4 times a week on sports court and urethane.

The RR ID split greens are also a fantastic wheel. I'd rate them higher than addictions or the Revision (I was on the revision because I got a stack load of them at a discount price). IMHO the best wheel out there at the moment are the RR krysis, yes they are expensive but you pay for what you get and with this wheel you get a hell of a lot.

I use the older Hot Shot X 84a on wood, I can't find anything quicker for my weight on that surface.

On smooth, painted(dusty) concrete lately I've been using yellow XX Rink Rat Envy wheels and they've been great, wear has been really good and all the usual slippages from my dual durometre wheels are non existent.

I'm 6 2" 185.

There is no better wheel for the money than the Labeda Millenniums for me (sport court 6'0 185). For the money, the Gripper is also an excellent choice.

Well after scouring the two stores that I know around me sells inline wheels, I found two wheels available from my initial list. As in two total wheels, both being orange millenniums. Plenty of orange millennium in 76mm but that doesn't help. Play it again has a ton of grippers though, and I can always use some trade to get them "free", but my question is now how much of a performance difference exists between the two?

Are you wondering what the difference between Millennium and Grippers? If so, there is a quite a difference between the two. The Millenniums are my favorite wheel. The grip, speed and durability are all excellent. The Gripper is a great wheel as well, but not at the same level as the Millennium.

ordered the Millennium. luckily my beat up addictions got me through first MIHA tourney pretty well, interesting to see what going up (or down?) in grip will do.