Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harkonnen87

Knee Pad modifications

Hi all,

I've done some digging around for a similar topic but can't seem to find a similar topic/ issue. Anyways, my issue is, my GF started playing in goal about 6 months ago after about 4 years of skating out. However, whenever she drops into butterfly after a few times she gets some nasty bruising on the inside of her knee (medial side for the medically inclined). She has ccm knee pads which I stitched the liner from my old reebok 20k shin pads in (just the knee area) it's helped but not entirely. We've gone to goalie monkey to try knee pads but nothing seemed to fit correctly or resolve the issue, Brian's were the closest to being a good fit but they pinched on the side of the knee. Granted she's still fine tuning her form and everything still so that might definitely be some of the problem. Are there any mods or other types of knee pad out there that could help with this?

Thanks for any help.

Passau will also add Maltese gel to the inside of theirs to help with cushioning.

Maltese KTPs are another option that are protective, but less obtrusive and bulky.

http://maltesesports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3&zenid=db2da7bbe65059e9d48ac1235ed2bd2f

The Bauer Elite padded pant under her knee pads may help also. They have G-Form padding in the knees to help with cusioning and impact absorbtion.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/gamewear/undergarments/bauer-goalie-accessories-padded-pant-sr.html

If you're ok with modding hers, a cheaper option might be to get either the Maltese lace bite pads, or a single chin sling and cut it, and attach that to the inside of the knee pad. Both of those items are around $25 and would solve your problem with a little adaptation

I wish I'd waited for the Maltese option in my knee pads. Probably won't need it soon as I'll have Maltese in my knee stack in my new Passau pads.

I just saw yesterday that Bauer not only makes the padded pants, but now they make a compression sleeve with the knee padding in it. I think I'm going to pick up a pair of these since I get some rubbing and tenderness from impacts on my knee too. Plus, I can't wear additional knee pads. They are just too restrictive. I tried several different kinds. Nothing is comfortable. I wear the Bauer Pro pant with the telescoping knee that does work really well in my case (maybe not for other people). These knees will add some extra cushioning and protection. I'd love a pair of Maltese KTPs, but $200 is just not possible right now. These seem to be the next best option.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/knee-thigh-guards/bauer-goalie-accessories-elite-padded-knee-guard-sr.html

bauer-goalie-accessories-elite-padded-kn

Frankly, I was okay with using Mizuno volleyball knee pads under my Bauer Supreme knee guards; however,my knee guard combo would hang up on my knee cradles. But this is a YMMV situation IMO.

My Brian's knee pads were okay but never quite fit my knees properly. My Passau are amazing but got hung up on my knee cradles. I've started wearing socks over them and that problem went away.

Wearing socks over the knee guards is KEY to not having them hang up. My Factory Mad knee guards are HUGE at the thigh, but very slim on the knee cap. My Bauers still hung up on the knee cradles even WITH socks.

those are garbage, just get a set of Maltese knee pads

Yea I wouldn't buy those either.

No, they aren't good for stand alone protection from being hit with a shot. But they're fine for a little extra cushioning from impacts when landing. And they do add minimal protection under a true knee pad.

Maltese are great. I don't have $185 to spend on a set right now. maybe I'll get lucky and a used set will turn up.

No, they aren't good for stand alone protection from being hit with a shot. But they're fine for a little extra cushioning from impacts when landing. And they do add minimal protection under a true knee pad.

Maltese are great. I don't have $185 to spend on a set right now. maybe I'll get lucky and a used set will turn up.

You'd be better off with a set of volleyball knee pads.

Used Passau knee pads come up for sale once in a while for under $100, too.

You'd be better off with a set of volleyball knee pads.

Used Passau knee pads come up for sale once in a while for under $100, too.

Nope. Neither of those are an option. Too big.

You've tried the small size Passau already?

Just about anything in the cradle is a problem. I've used the Reebok Revoke Pro's and the one that come with the Gnetik 2's, both of which are similar to the Passau. They didn't work. There's too much going on in the knee. I don't like it. The Gnetik ones were very small and snug, like the small Passaus would be, and were awful. I just don't like knee pads. End of story.

Just about anything in the cradle is a problem. I've used the Reebok Revoke Pro's and the one that come with the Gnetik 2's, both of which are similar to the Passau. They didn't work. There's too much going on in the knee. I don't like it. The Gnetik ones were very small and snug, like the small Passaus would be, and were awful. I just don't like knee pads. End of story.

*shrug* Okay, good luck.

I am in the same boat, last set of competitive gear I used had thigh boards. I can't get used to knee guards and have no interest in trying for beer league. When I ordered new pads, I went with +2 thigh rise and only had 1 puck squirt through in 3 years.

A suggestion might be to reach out to PAW - Maybe she could make you old school boards?

I am in the same boat, last set of competitive gear I used had thigh boards. I can't get used to knee guards and have no interest in trying for beer league. When I ordered new pads, I went with +2 thigh rise and only had 1 puck squirt through in 3 years.

A suggestion might be to reach out to PAW - Maybe she could make you old school boards?

I have the Bauer Pro pants with the telescoping knee guards. They work very, very well for me. I know some people had issues with the way they seated and therefore the protection. I have not so far. When I drop into a butterfly, the protector drops exactly where it needs to, and covers all the way down to the cradle. I had more pucks get through the boards and wraps I have had before than I do now.

The closest thing I could see working, other than a thin, flexible sleeve like the Maltese, might be the Passaus if they took all of the inner parts out and would sell me just the outer wrap portion. That would act just like my pants do now, and protect around the knee crade without going inside of it, but cover more. Maaaaybe, the Passau would work if I took out the middle portion and kept the outer guard with the innermost part to hold it in place. That would make it an improved version of the Reebok, which lacked in coverage making it useless. I can't have anything thick or rigid inside of the knee cradle.