Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flop_N_Pray

Best C/A Protector under $350

I'm currently wearing a used Vaughn Vision 3700. Although I am new to goal, I face good shooters on a regular basis at drop-ins - D1-D3 college varsity and club level, high school varsity, and the odd Junior A or B player. I'm feeling every decent shot through this unit, unless it hits me right in the belly or a shoulder floater. Not just in a "hey, that hit me" way, but in a "let me shake that off real quick" way. I recently took a slap shot to the chest that required a quick skate around the goal - from a teenager who never played organized hockey. As far as my pain tolerance, well, I played D3 college lacrosse. But who knows, maybe I just need to suck it up. If the Vision is enough for what I'm currently facing, tell me and I'll save the money.

If I do get a new C/A, my hard stop for price is $350 to preserve my marriage and checkbook.* So far, I have been looking at the Simmons 999, the Warrior Ritual Pro (G1), the Warrior Ritual G2 Senior, and the standard Passau. The Simmons and Passau squeak by right at budget due to exchange rate. I've heard good things about Brown but I'm not sure what they cost and I hear they are very bulky.

If / when I join a beer league team it will probably be intermediate level by next fall based on the feedback I'm getting at drop-ins.

I've pored over every review of these units I can find, but what I cannot tell is where they rank compared to each other in terms of protection and mobility. I am specifically curious if the G2 has any features that warrant moving down a level in protection from the older Ritual Pro - if it is a move down. I lean towards hybrid/athletic style and favor mobility all other things being equal.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If it helps, my relevant sizes are 5'9", 170 - 185# depending on season, about 42" chest, and I believe my dress shirts are a 32 sleeve. My current c/a is a medium and fits well without modification.

*Mostly my checkbook; my wife is a saint and has been very supportive of this quarter-life crisis. That said, I'd like to keep it that way.

I just got a Passau and would say either Brown or Passau will be by far the most protective.

Honestly I'd suggest you take advantage of the exchange rate.

Pro level is always a better option in the long run. If you can get a new Passau in your price range I would go with that as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

If you don't mind used gear you can always get a pro used chest and save some money and have more options.

Pro level is always a better option in the long run. If you can get a new Passau in your price range I would go with that as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

If you don't mind used gear you can always get a pro used chest and save some money and have more options.

I am a fan of buying used gear if possible, but how long do you have before the internal foams have degraded / elastics are shot? I'm guessing it's more dependent on use than simply age, but are there any rules of thumb?

I just got a Passau and would say either Brown or Passau will be by far the most protective.

Honestly I'd suggest you take advantage of the exchange rate.

Did you get the standard version or the pro pack?

I am hoping to see a Passau in the flesh soon and I may go with one.

I had to do bunches to make my Vaughn LT80 not sting on shots. I have added extra shoulder caps, extra reinforcements on the biceps, wrist on the catch hand wrist, extra HD foam under the heart guard, and the foam from a padded shirt on the under side of the body. The belly protection is lacking, as well. Bottom line is that you can improve your CA with bits of foam, parts of player shoulder pads, elbow pads, and the like. I even use Reebok 4K player elbow pads in place of the tie-in elbow cups (as the stock cups are worthless), as they are low profile and lack biceps protection (therefore fit swimmingly in the arms of said CA).

Vaughn may make a lot of good equipment, but their CA are somewhat lacking. The Vaughn fit me best out of the box, and that's why I bought it.

Brown are very protective, but not nearly as bulky as one would think. I passed on a used one because it was super cheap and I have no clue how used this one was and didn't want to waste $80 on one that could have me feeling more shots than I am with my Frankensteined Vaughn unit. But this one was not even close to stiff and was not heavy. The downside of Brown? Because he has been building stuff north of 45 years, he gets his payday. I have a pair of his braces (suspenders), and they are the Rolls Royce of braces. You will probably finish your playing days in a pair of Brown braces, but they cost $45 per pair!!!! After breaking two sets of A&R in the attachment points, I figured this was a good investment.

I know a couple of tenders in the lower-end Warrior chesty- it isn't durable in some ways, but well-liked. Nobody complains about protection. This is, of course the one without all the weird plastic crap in the elbow floaters.

Bottom line is that you have a lot of choices in your price range. But my nod would be towards the Passau, and that is sight unseen.

I am a fan of buying used gear if possible, but how long do you have before the internal foams have degraded / elastics are shot? I'm guessing it's more dependent on use than simply age, but are there any rules of thumb?

Did you get the standard version or the pro pack?

Standard. Still plenty for me. Im just in a low level beer league. I'd have just bought stock if it had silver logos instead of gold (why gold on the chesties and silver on the knee pads??) so just went stock with custom colors.

Only thing I'd have done differently is Maltese in the heart guard, just to deaden rebounds.

I personally hate used gear. I'll pay the extra for new.

Sorry if this is off topic... I don't play goal, but never understood & was curios what C/A stood for? We're talking about a chest protector, right?

Sorry if this is off topic... I don't play goal, but never understood & was curios what C/A stood for? We're talking about a chest protector, right?

C/A = Chest & Arms

And to add to what Opti said- some of the separate arm units were pretty horrible!!!!!

I quit playing goal (and hockey) at 8 years old, so I honestly never had to worry too much about it. Playing with those things as an adult is unfathomable to me now.

I quit playing goal (and hockey) at 8 years old, so I honestly never had to worry too much about it. Playing with those things as an adult is unfathomable to me now.

Some sweat shirts have more protection than the old arm protectors! When I was looking into playing goal in '93-ish, that was all I saw available at that point!