Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Step Blacksteel vs. BlackEdge runners

Some of the best edge holding steels that also tough on impacts do not develop burr or wire-edge durring sharpening. Coated or not coated, you can feel the burr  and make a call to hone it or not. Why do something that has no use and can just make the runner look scuffed? Less is often more.

Are the step black steel notably better than the stainless step steel in comparison? I see they are half the price and wonder if it is for a good  reason?  Thanks 

On 9/17/2016 at 8:16 AM, jimmy said:

The CCM runners are not diamond carbon coated, what's on them is more like a paint.  Unlike the Blackedge and Blacksteel which don't need honing, the CCM steel will. It's edges are not hard and will curl out from a sharpening.  The ice is going to wear off the paint anyway so you might as well hone.

Good to know. I have skated on them quite a bit so far on first sharpen now and the edges hold pretty darn well. No honing kinda makes me nervous anyways, so i guess ill just keep letting them do it.

23 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

The one I  mentioned is just a stone without the plastic enclosure, but it does look exactly the same other than that.

Found the same one on Amazon for $6.

On 8/6/2016 at 6:23 AM, mojo122 said:

Sorry for the thread revival, but my parents bought me Step Blacksteel runners for Christmas.  I went to go order the Prosharp Leather Hone and it says $29 for shipping if I don't "Pick up at the office."  Has anyone else ordered this and had a similar issue?

On 9/19/2016 at 5:13 PM, Kgbeast said:

Lowes sells nice 4" Arkansas Stone (Smith's MP4L). Those are pretty gentle and cheap.

Arkansas whetstones will scratch the DLC coating.