Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceman8310

bauer mx3 skate vs. 1x skates vs. VH

has anyone gone from the mx3 skate to the 1x skate?  what were your thoughts?  I'm in between both skates.  I like aspects of the both skates.  Currently in VH skates and have a pair of mx3s.  Wondering if I should make the jump to the 1x.  Any feedback is appreciated.   What I like about the 1x is, I get the same or better forward flex that i get in the VH.   

The VH skates I have are near the end of their life cycle

I haven't skated in the MX3's but my current skates are the 1X's... I really like the 1X but have been considering getting into a pair of VH's when my 1X's break down.

Things I like about my 1X's

1. Very light

2. very stiff/responsive 

3. more forward flex than other Vapors I previously used, may have something to do with the injection molded lacing system (It's very rigid, so it doesn't curl inwards when you crank down on the laces).

4. Injection molded lacing system (but wish all lace holes had lace locks like the MX3's).

5. Comfort edge on the boot is a nice perk since the boot is so stiff.

My only complaint about the 1X is that the outside foil layer of the curve composite flakes off fairly easy  from skate, puck, and stick impacts... But honestly it's only cosmetic damage.

The reason I'm looking into the VH skates is because I have a narrow heel but wide fore foot (right foot is slightly wider than left) and I have to punch out the fore foot of my right Vapor to fit comfortably. 

How long have you had your VH's that they're breaking down and is there a reason why you aren't just reordering a new pair, or are you like me and just like to try new shiny things? lol

Hope this helps a little bit.

23 minutes ago, vsawchuk said:

I haven't skated in the MX3's but my current skates are the 1X's... I really like the 1X but have been considering getting into a pair of VH's when my 1X's break down.

Things I like about my 1X's

1. Very light

2. very stiff/responsive 

3. more forward flex than other Vapors I previously used, may have something to do with the injection molded lacing system (It's very rigid, so it doesn't curl inwards when you crank down on the laces).

4. Injection molded lacing system (but wish all lace holes had lace locks like the MX3's).

5. Comfort edge on the boot is a nice perk since the boot is so stiff.

My only complaint about the 1X is that the outside foil layer of the curve composite flakes off fairly easy  from skate, puck, and stick impacts... But honestly it's only cosmetic damage.

The reason I'm looking into the VH skates is because I have a narrow heel but wide fore foot (right foot is slightly wider than left) and I have to punch out the fore foot of my right Vapor to fit comfortably. 

How long have you had your VH's that they're breaking down and is there a reason why you aren't just reordering a new pair, or are you like me and just like to try new shiny things? lol

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thank you for the feedback.  I've had my VH for about two years now.  skating 3-4 times a week

I have been in MX3s which I still own and have been in 1X skates for a while now. 

The question about making the switch should include your foot shape.  I "fit" better in the MX3, but skate better in the 1X. Strange, I know, but that's the deal.  I found that the mobility and wrapped fit of the MX3 was unsurpassed by any other skate I've tried.  The 1X is a straight walled fit, that isn't TO ME>>> the most comfortable thing, BUT, the stiffness and performance was terrific.

the 1X skates are incredible performance skates, but are already causing my feet to hurt. The overall fit just isn't right. too bad for me.

the MX3 skates are by far the best fit of any skate I've ever tried..  You'll have to give each style at least a few months before settling on your new lifetime friend.

As far as locking lace features, comfort edge, graphics. etc... that's all secondary to how the skate..#1..FITS, and  Performs.  good luck with your search!

BTW, this is only based on my personal OPINION and experience, as others may contradict my findings.

+1 for MX3 as well. Never wore VH, but I had Vapors previously. As Zorlac stated, it depends on your feet. For my feet, the MX3 fit the best. In the end the 1X and MX3 offer different fits. VH is totally custom. If you are going to pay top dollar, it seems almost logical to purchase a new set of VH because of the custom fit. That's up to you though. If the MX3 fit good that you already have, the 1X will fit tighter in the center to the rear of the skate and wider up front. That's something to consider outside the flex of the skate.

5 hours ago, Zorlac said:

I have been in MX3s which I still own and have been in 1X skates for a while now. 

The question about making the switch should include your foot shape.  I "fit" better in the MX3, but skate better in the 1X. Strange, I know, but that's the deal.  I found that the mobility and wrapped fit of the MX3 was unsurpassed by any other skate I've tried.  The 1X is a straight walled fit, that isn't TO ME>>> the most comfortable thing, BUT, the stiffness and performance was terrific.

the 1X skates are incredible performance skates, but are already causing my feet to hurt. The overall fit just isn't right. too bad for me.

the MX3 skates are by far the best fit of any skate I've ever tried..  You'll have to give each style at least a few months before settling on your new lifetime friend.

As far as locking lace features, comfort edge, graphics. etc... that's all secondary to how the skate..#1..FITS, and  Performs.  good luck with your search!

BTW, this is only based on my personal OPINION and experience, as others may contradict my findings.

4 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

+1 for MX3 as well. Never wore VH, but I had Vapors previously. As Zorlac stated, it depends on your feet. For my feet, the MX3 fit the best. In the end the 1X and MX3 offer different fits. VH is totally custom. If you are going to pay top dollar, it seems almost logical to purchase a new set of VH because of the custom fit. That's up to you though. If the MX3 fit good that you already have, the 1X will fit tighter in the center to the rear of the skate and wider up front. That's something to consider outside the flex of the skate.

I like the heel and angle of the vapor but i like the wrap and front of the mx3.  maybe custom.  I would hope not though

1 hour ago, iceman8310 said:

I like the heel and angle of the vapor but i like the wrap and front of the mx3.  maybe custom.  I would hope not though

You could go another route here aside from Bauer and try on a set of Jetspeed. They provide a pretty awesome heel lock and a smaller toe box. Think of Supreme skates with better heel lock. This might give you what you're looking for instead of going the customer route with VH again.

IMO, the only thing I'd want from the MX3 is the injected stability lacing system. It's apples to oranges though if you're comparing custom to retail. Your VH should last much longer than 2-3 years at 3-4 times a week.. did you get the additional stiffness? What's wrong with them, are they just getting soft?

I didn't skate on MX3 but I was in Supreme and the boot is very similar except the aggressive cut. 

21 minutes ago, Bbd94 said:

IMO, the only thing I'd want from the MX3 is the injected stability lacing system. It's apples to oranges though if you're comparing custom to retail. Your VH should last much longer than 2-3 years at 3-4 times a week.. did you get the additional stiffness? What's wrong with them, are they just getting soft?

I didn't skate on MX3 but I was in Supreme and the boot is very similar except the aggressive cut. 

I'm 6'3 250lbs.  the vh's are getting soft breaking down in certain areas.  I got extra stiff

18 minutes ago, iceman8310 said:

I'm 6'3 250lbs.  the vh's are getting soft breaking down in certain areas.  I got extra stiff

Why did you get  VH? Because your feet were abnormal? IMO that's a big factor you should consider. Not trying to sway you back to VH, but I would bank on their boots being a lot stiffer now than they were several years ago. I heard some complaints about the durability in the beginning, and they seemed to address this. Lace locks may help the forward flex bit, and they're not hard to install at all

OR

Sounds to me you like different aspects of MX3 and 1X, which you should be able to get taken care of in Bauer custom, but not in retail. From what I've read, it sounds like you would be unhappy in retail boots. I would go to your LHS and call in a Bauer rep if you want to go that way.

6 minutes ago, Bbd94 said:

Why did you get  VH? Because your feet were abnormal? IMO that's a big factor you should consider. Not trying to sway you back to VH, but I would bank on their boots being a lot stiffer now than they were several years ago. I heard some complaints about the durability in the beginning, and they seemed to address this. Lace locks may help the forward flex bit, and they're not hard to install at all

OR

Sounds to me you like different aspects of MX3 and 1X, which you should be able to get taken care of in Bauer custom, but not in retail. From what I've read, it sounds like you would be unhappy in retail boots. I would go to your LHS and call in a Bauer rep if you want to go that way.

Thanks for the help.  I've done custom bauer's before probably will do again.  TSR is very close to where i live.

Yes, forgot to mention that bauer custom would be an excellent choice too..  I'd reorder the mx3 with a smaller heel.  I too like the v-cut and lock of the 1x heel better.

Iceman, if you haven't tried the MX3 in a "C" width, do yourself a favor, and do so.  i FINALLY got my hands on a pair of MX3s in a C width, and all I can say is I've found the perfect fit.

The C width offers a tighter ankle, and a better overall heel lock than the D version. I finally feel connected better to the ice, like I did in Vapors. Also, the C version is NOT much thinner in the forefoot like I expected. Overall, don't overlook this option, as you can find a few retailers that still have some C version MX3s in stock.