Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

CCM Fitlite 3Ds Initial Thoughts

CCM's latest revision of the Fitlite helmet line that was absorbed from Reebok is the Fitlite 3Ds.  With a completely new shell, D3O has been added to the sides of the helmet for impact protection, and a redesigned MicroDial 3 as well.

As I typically do with all of the helmets that I review, I tear them down completely so that you can get a better picture of the inner workings of the helmet.

IMG_1483.jpg

The helmet has a big silver CCM logo on the front, as well as top and side vents.

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

Here is the rear of the helmet.  Note that there isn't much area for rear side stickers - the CSA and HECC stickers are placed pretty high, and on the sides of the helmet.

IMG_1486.jpg

Small CCM logo hit on the tool-less adjustment tabs.  

IMG_1487.jpg

There is the D3O slab on the side of the helmet.  The side adjustment straps that the MicroDial adjusts are coated for comfort.

IMG_1488.jpg

The MicroDial 3 is a bit different in the fact that it no longer can be pulled down...

IMG_1489.jpg

...as it's anchored into the EPP.

IMG_1490.jpg

The temple pads have a piece of plastic with three holes, which lock in to the helmet when attached.

IMG_1491.jpg

Here's the shell, completely stripped.  Notice that there really isn't a subshell like on older Fitlite/11k helmets; it's permanently welded to the shell.

IMG_1492.jpg

The internals of the helmet, laid out.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Here's the MicroDial, completely done up.

As far as initial thoughts go, it is a comfortable helmet, albeit a bit on the small side.  This helmet is a L, and typically on most helmets, I tend to be around halfway on the adjustability scale.  This one, I'm almost at the end.    I will be wearing the helmet tonight and will report back on ventilation and comfort.

Thanks goes to CCM Hockey for providing me the product.

If you have any questions, please post them in the thread.  

IMG_1494.jpg

as a big fan/collector of reebok helmets ill be following this one closely. When you say the fit is small, is this in respect to previous Reebok branded builds? I'm also interested in how it weighs comparative, and the ventilation.

1 hour ago, Zac911 said:

Sweet looking lid!  How is comfort?

Pretty good, actually.  It's a deeper fitting helmet - previous Reebok versions (and CCM Fitlite) tended to be a bit shallow.

49 minutes ago, Stewie said:

as a big fan/collector of reebok helmets ill be following this one closely. When you say the fit is small, is this in respect to previous Reebok branded builds? I'm also interested in how it weighs comparative, and the ventilation.

I'm pretty sure it is smaller than all previous helmets.  I remember trying on a CCM Fitlite before I submitted my size and that one seemed to have much more room than this one, not to mention, shallower.

How's the density or 'hardness' of the side D3O slabs? And how much do you notice them? Most D3O I've worked with were 'harder' than Poron so I would imagine, more noticeable on light impacts. 

Good question - the Flexorb in the Re-Akt 100 is softer than the D3O in the 3Ds.  It certainly doesn't feel hard on the head when the helmet is on, as it's definitely "softer" than the rest of the helmet.

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Pretty good, actually.  It's a deeper fitting helmet - previous Reebok versions (and CCM Fitlite) tended to be a bit shallow.

I'm happy to hear this. CCM helmets have been fairly shallow fitting across the board, leaving me with no other options besides Bauer. Looking forward to trying this on. As far as deepness goes, are we talking IMS 9.0/Re-Akt deep?

Wore it last night for a couple of hours.

As I went along, I actually had to start closing up the helmet as it was getting loose.  Guess my head was swollen in the afternoon!  

Typically, helmets that don't really have an absorbent material worry me in terms of sweat management, but helmets with good ventilation tend to take care of that.  This seems to be the case here; while it wasn't to the point that my head would get cold, I didn't have any issues with sweat dripping down the front of my face or into the visor.

14 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

As far as deepness goes, are we talking IMS 9.0/Re-Akt deep?

Re-Akt 100 deep, which isn't as deep as the aforementioned helmets.