Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrBrownstone

Shoulders for inline?

I'm curious how many inline players use shoulder pads, especially for non-contact leagues?

i took a couple of hits from the guy who thinks he is playing ice hockey, and my sore shoulder is making me question whether I should opt for the full shoulder set up.

Whilst I haven't seen any of the MLRH or other full contact leagues, I have played in a lot of countries and tournaments and never seen an inline player wearing shoulder pads. That's not to say that you can't as there is nothing in the rules that would stop you from doing so. However the heat would be the biggest issue then the incessant chirping would come a close 2nd. One would say if he is hitting you then keep your head up, there are a number of ways of dealing with someone who plays like that but you have to see them coming first.

There's definitely nothing in the rules against wearing shoulder pads, but it'd be hot and shoulder pads are very rare in inline.

Full on body checking is not allowed in recreational men's leagues and should be penalized, but you can lean on someone or angle/rub someone out and battle on the boards. I've never seen someone wearing shoulder pads for competitive or tournament inline (NARCH, junior leagues, Platinum or Tier 1 men's league ect.) where there do tend to be hard board battles. I have seen a few players wearing shoulder pads in the lower divisions - it's usually either the guys just learning the sport or some smaller players.

i don't very often see people wearing shoulders in my adult inline leagues, but it does come up a few times, mostly with people on lower level teams. Personally, if i were to wear anything itd be a padded shirt with some shoulder protection on them, that way you are not impacting your handling and movement as much, considering your competition wont be wearing shoulders. I have been pretty lucky in my 1.5 years back on blades that i haven't had a tumble onto my shoulder that has me questioning this yet.

Appreciate the feedback guys, and will opt against it.  Just getting back into inline hockey after years of being out, and age and rustiness I'm sure is playing a factor as well.  The heat would be extremely unbearable as well.

Both of my shoulders are messed up, so I wear a padded shirt with shoulder protection. It's a mission pro compression shirt. I like it, it's not very hot and the padding is nice for blocking shots too. 

I've played competitive inline for 10 years... your shoulder will just kinda go numb after a while and you won't feel it. The worst used to be when my shoulder would rub along the glass and hit the silver piece between the glass panes.