Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

CCM Tacks Skates - Possible Fit Problem

Hello everyone, I've encountered a problem. 

I've had CCM Tacks Vector Pro (The 5092 with a different liner, laces that break instantly, and the SpeedBlade Black steel) skates since around late August. I was in an 8.5 shoe (Asics, if that matters), and the skates are a 7.5. I got them baked the day of purchase, and have since had them rebaked about two weeks ago. However, even with 30 or so uses since buying, two bakings, and pulling the laces tight, they feel too wide, and generally don't feel right. What's the problem? Did I get the wrong fit? (Tacks / Supremes as opposed to Jetspeed / Vapor.) Too stiff? Too soft? My feet have since grown, and I know that a skate is supposed to be one and a half sizes down, as opposed to what it is now. I've got school tryouts this weekend, so there may not be time to get a new skate and adjust to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

About me: 

-5'4''. 120 lbs

-10.5 shoe (Asics)

Skate history: 

CCM Tacks Vector Pro (5092) 7.5D

Bauer Supreme 160 LE 6.5EE

Easton Stealth S15 5.5R

Bauer Vapor X50 5.0D

CCM U+01 (I don't know what size these were, I had them my first season of hockey and lost them within a month)

Again, thanks.

They could be too wide after break in? How was the fit in-store? Personally, when I buy skates I want them to fit snug / a little tight in-store, even after baking. Materials will break down,  and loosen up. If I don't have to punch some areas in a skate, I know they be too lose. You can always loosen laces, punch, stretch, whatever to get a better fit. If they are too loose, maybe go with a thicker sock or double up? How is your heel lock and how were you on the pencil test? 

It's possible, but after even one bake the Supremes had no problems. They  felt tight the whole time I had them, and the skates felt pretty tight when I was in the store. I didn't do the pencil test, which I definitely should have, but I do feel my heels moving often. I normally go with socks that are thick for shoes, so I don't know how it is for skates. With the skates themselves, my feet are a 10.5, and the skates are a 7.5. I should be too big for the skates, but they feel too large. Should I try a smaller skate (RibCor / JetSpeed / Vapor) if this doesn't work?

Thanks, but what size? would 9 be good? My feet have grown 3 sizes since March, and I'd like these to last.

Edit: Would a $300 skate be too stiff for somebody who is 120 lbs?

Isn't that line still part of the CCM sizing screw up? If you wanted a size fit that was close to a Bauer size 7.5 you had to buy Tacks size 7. So these are effectively a 1/2 size to large and did you buy them to grow into meaning they could be a size too big?

If you are not getting a good heel lock, then they are likely too big or too wide. I would also say too deep since you state having to really tighten them down. Have you had any blisters or any abnormal wear in any areas of the skates? I remember reading a thread on here about the new CCM sizing that Vet88 is speaking of, a CCM employee addressed the sizing change over the 3 fits. You might want to do a search for that too.

It sucks that these aren't working out for you, you've had some pretty crappy luck finding what works between skates and sticks. If you have a shop near your home, don't be afraid to spend and hour - hour and a half trying on and testing gear and asking questions. We all know how expensive the sport can be depending the level of your play so do as much research as you can (as I'm sure you are already doing).

Just you know, I wore my 190's around the store for 45 minutes before baking them just to get an idea of the size and fit.

The Ultra Tacks fit for length is now similar to Bauer and all future releases of CCM lines are meant to be the same as a Bauer length fit. These earlier lines and sub models (RBZ, Tacks, Super Tacks, Jetspeeds, Ribcors from 2014 to 2016) fit large ie a 7.5 Bauer equals a 7 in these lines).

2 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

If you are not getting a good heel lock, then they are likely too big or too wide. I would also say too deep since you state having to really tighten them down. Have you had any blisters or any abnormal wear in any areas of the skates? I remember reading a thread on here about the new CCM sizing that Vet88 is speaking of, a CCM employee addressed the sizing change over the 3 fits. You might want to do a search for that too.

It sucks that these aren't working out for you, you've had some pretty crappy luck finding what works between skates and sticks. If you have a shop near your home, don't be afraid to spend and hour - hour and a half trying on and testing gear and asking questions. We all know how expensive the sport can be depending the level of your play so do as much research as you can (as I'm sure you are already doing).

Just you know, I wore my 190's around the store for 45 minutes before baking them just to get an idea of the size and fit.

I now feel very stupid for doing this. No, the heel lock has not been great, and no I have not had any blisters or abnormal wear anywhere on the skate. I also was not aware of the CCM sizing change, so that's something I should have known.  

I also do try to spend as much time at hockey stores as I can, however getting there is hard. There's one that's a five minute train ride from me, but has no selection and is run by one guy. There's a PH and a LHS with a more educated staff, but they're a town or two over and I'm too young to drive myself there,  and boy do my parents just love hockey stores. I do try to ask questions and try things on / out, but I most of the staff at PH works for beer money, or likes the game but knows very little about the equipment. 

Wearing skates in the store for 45 minutes sounds fantastic, but I don't have the time.

4 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

I'd look at going back to the 160's or at the $300 price point, the 170's. You know those will work for you.

The 160s fit, but never felt comfortable, if that makes sense. I tried on the 170s as comparison to the Tacks, but decided on the CCM. And while I don't think it makes a huge difference, my dad and I are both 5'4'', but he's 170 and I'm 120. Even if we have the same size feet (I gave my size 8.5 to him), we should be not wearing the same stiffness skate. Also, 120 seems like a weight for high end Junior skate.

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

The Ultra Tacks fit for length is now similar to Bauer and all future releases of CCM lines are meant to be the same as a Bauer length fit. These earlier lines and sub models (RBZ, Tacks, Super Tacks, Jetspeeds, Ribcors from 2014 to 2016) fit large ie a 7.5 Bauer equals a 7 in these lines).

I was not aware, thanks. 

On 11/30/2016 at 9:06 AM, Jamarquan said:

Thanks, but what size? would 9 be good? My feet have grown 3 sizes since March, and I'd like these to last.

Edit: Would a $300 skate be too stiff for somebody who is 120 lbs?

On average, it should be 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller than your shoe size. If you're a 10.5 shoe, then either an 8.5 or 9 boot should suffice. I personally wear 10/10.5 shoe and an 8.5 skate as an example. Try them on and see what's more comfortable. If you're feet are still growing, I'd consider going with the nine to give you some room for growth. It'll allow you to hold on to them for a longer period of time pending on age.

On 12/1/2016 at 9:10 AM, vinprun71 said:

On average, it should be 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller than your shoe size. If you're a 10.5 shoe, then either an 8.5 or 9 boot should suffice. I personally wear 10/10.5 shoe and an 8.5 skate as an example. Try them on and see what's more comfortable. If you're feet are still growing, I'd consider going with the nine to give you some room for growth. It'll allow you to hold on to them for a longer period of time pending on age.

9 sounds good then, thanks.

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

Make sure you try them on though. I can give you advice, but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. You know your feet better than I do. I don't want to see you drop money and be in the same situation.

7 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Hang on a sec, you purchased 7.5 CCM's (which is equal to a size 8 Bauer) and you say they are too big for you? and now you are talking about buying size 9??? Face palm moment here if that is the case. Ignore what anyone says about skate and shoe size, you have a skate/s and you know which ones are too big for you or now too small, work from that. At least you can get the length right but as to volume and heel lock and all over fit then this is something you can only find out by trying them on. And don't buy them 1 size bigger to grow into, one of the worst mistakes you can make as your skating really suffers for it. A 1/2 size up is what I would recommend, it sucks to be growing fast but on the other hand if you are going thru them quick they should be still in good condition and easy to sell.

There are plenty of other people in the same situation as you, you are at the most common sizing so consider buying 2nd hand off eBay, there are lots of decent skates at a good price in the sizes you are looking for. Once you stop growing consider spending more for a longer term skate from a LHS or wherever.

14 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Hang on a sec, you purchased 7.5 CCM's (which is equal to a size 8 Bauer) and you say they are too big for you? and now you are talking about buying size 9??? Face palm moment here if that is the case. Ignore what anyone says about skate and shoe size, you have a skate/s and you know which ones are too big for you or now too small, work from that. At least you can get the length right but as to volume and heel lock and all over fit then this is something you can only find out by trying them on. And don't buy them 1 size bigger to grow into, one of the worst mistakes you can make as your skating really suffers for it. A 1/2 size up is what I would recommend, it sucks to be growing fast but on the other hand if you are going thru them quick they should be still in good condition and easy to sell.

There are plenty of other people in the same situation as you, you are at the most common sizing so consider buying 2nd hand off eBay, there are lots of decent skates at a good price in the sizes you are looking for. Once you stop growing consider spending more for a longer term skate from a LHS or wherever.

I don't even know how I missed that. Face palm indeed. 

Hey Jamarquan, have you figured out the skate yet?

Whereabouts did you purchase your Vector Pros?  That's a Source for Sports SMU.  Were you fit for them or purchased them online of your own accord?

If you'd like, you can send me a PM, and we can discuss your fit issues into more detail as well as see if there's anything any fit advice I can offer over the internet.  From shop experience, I've found that the materials in the Vector Pro model can at times offer a slightly wider fit in the EE width depending on the foot shape, due to the higher grade of composite material being used.  

On 12/9/2016 at 10:44 PM, syinx said:

Hey Jamarquan, have you figured out the skate yet?

Whereabouts did you purchase your Vector Pros?  That's a Source for Sports SMU.  Were you fit for them or purchased them online of your own accord?

If you'd like, you can send me a PM, and we can discuss your fit issues into more detail as well as see if there's anything any fit advice I can offer over the internet.  From shop experience, I've found that the materials in the Vector Pro model can at times offer a slightly wider fit in the EE width depending on the foot shape, due to the higher grade of composite material being used.  

Somehow a LHS in my area (New England) gets Source SMU's. Don't ask me how. I bought them in - store after having tried them on. 

I didn't know about the EE being wider than rated, but I have them in 7.5D, so this doesn't affect me.

8 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Somehow a LHS in my area (New England) gets Source SMU's. Don't ask me how. I bought them in - store after having tried them on. 

I didn't know about the EE being wider than rated, but I have them in 7.5D, so this doesn't affect me.

You've also had a really varied history of skates.  Narrowing down what your foot profile actually is will probably help diagnose the problem.