Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MD56

W71 vs W03

Caught a great deal on a QRL, but it's in a W71 which i have no experience with. If i have my choice, I usually go with W03 / Crosby / Ovi. 

From the IW description, it just seems like the W71 is maybe a sixteenth deeper in the curve? Otherwise they look pretty similar. 

Anyone familiar enough to offer a comparison? 

Edited by MD56

The Pacioretty (W71) is a deep banana type curve. Deeper than the W03 and not as open. The pictures are a little deceiving but a friend has one and it's more of a deep mid curve than a P92/W03.

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

The Pacioretty (W71) is a deep banana type curve. Deeper than the W03 and not as open. The pictures are a little deceiving but a friend has one and it's more of a deep mid curve than a P92/W03.

thanks, what characteristics would a deeper curve bring? 

On 2/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, MD56 said:

thanks, what characteristics would a deeper curve bring? 

very good puck handling, laser precision passes with some serious speed behind them if you need it.  Really liking it 

Dude, don’t listen to this. If you’re used to the W03/P92/P29... stick with it. They are not even comparable patterns and what works for someone may not work for you, not to mention there are no retail or really any pro Stock patterns like it. W71 is not very popular or easy to find and that’s coming from a P28 Guy. The stick is a tool, the stick should work for you, not you working for a stick. 

I’m gonna disagree (yeah, shocker I know). The whole stick is a tool thing. While cool to say isn’t entirely accurate. Most pro’s fuss over their blades and sticks, even tweak further them after they get them. If the stick was truly just a tool, they’d be, meh, close enough.

There is nothing wrong with picking up a stick on closeout that isn’t your ideal pattern. That’s exactly how I ended up using the P28, which I now love. If you don’t like it, use it as a back up or just mess around with it from time to time. I’ve sold off a few that I just couldn’t get to work.

34 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I’m gonna disagree (yeah, shocker I know). The whole stick is a tool thing. While cool to say isn’t entirely accurate. Most pro’s fuss over their blades and sticks, even tweak further them after they get them. If the stick was truly just a tool, they’d be, meh, close enough.

There is nothing wrong with picking up a stick on closeout that isn’t your ideal pattern. That’s exactly how I ended up using the P28, which I now love. If you don’t like it, use it as a back up or just mess around with it from time to time. I’ve sold off a few that I just couldn’t get to work.

Professionals tweak because they are professionals and it is essential that they do everything in their power to stay on top of their game in order to stay in it. Assuming he isn’t able to just flip it if he doesn’t like it or assuming he’s going to need a lot of time to adjust. The safe bet is to stay away. I just picked up a brand new Super Tacks 2.0 P92 85 Flex for $85.00 off the athlete it was made for. Got rid of it the next day in favor of my 28. The key is to know where to look because often times people think they’re getting a smoking deal when in actuality you can pretty much get any stick in any specs you want without setting foot into a store or paying more than $100-150 Shipped for it. Know where to look unless it’s so cheap you don’t care. This guy sounds like his means allow him one stick forcing him to change patterns in order to have said stick. 

If pros tweak to stay on top, then a stick really isn’t just a tool. A professional needs a certain tool to perform at their best, that is what you are saying....which BTW I completely agree with.

That being said, can’t one argue that players from any level can benefit from tweaks to their “tools”. I think that’s fairly obvious.

So a stick really isn’t just a generic tool. Certain stick characteristics can help and/or hinder a players performance. It’s all about what works for the individual. 

How do we find what works and what doesn’t, we experiment. Unless you have access to various different sticks you’re left to buy and try. That’s generally how we all found the pattern we are currently using. I won’t make assumptions about the means of the OP. Maybe he like many others is just a sucker for a good deal. 

A stick won’t turn PJ Stock into Glenn Murray but it may help transform grinder Mike Knuble into 1st line wing Mike Knuble. (Some not so old school bruin references 😉)