Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e-man

Advice: new skates or change blades

hi guys,

I've got a pair of Bauer Supreme 5000 from about 8-9 years ago. They were top of the line back then. They have served me well, but the blade has been pretty much ground down to the point where I think it is limiting my turning.

I really like the way the boots hug my feet, but I do notice that some of the leather inside the boot is starting to wear thin (you can the black nylon). In other words, the boot is starting to show its age.

I'm super-tight on cash but I expect that to change in the next 6 months (e.g. I'll be better off financially).

here are the options:

- change the blades

- $50-ish

- buy a low-end pair of skates, like maybe Mission S300s or so

- say $200-$250

- bite the bullet and go all out for a new pair of high-end skates

- $500+ (if only I had picked up a pair during boxing day!)

Advice?

Perhaps a post in the msh buy section for a pair of steel in the length you need may net you a deal. You never know. Some people buy skates with perforated steel and just ditch them in favor of solid runners. I'd shop around though.. Especially since the skates seem to be on their way out. Maybe find a shot pair of used skates with the runner size you need, and scavenge the used steel if there is a considerable amount left.

If the boot is still working just slap more steel in it. If you do decide to get new skates, Mission S400s are only 269 list price and you may be able to find them at the top end of your price range at a local dealer. They really aren't a low end skate and area great buy at that price.

How aobut leftover closeout models or E-Bay for some newer 5000's? One guy I know bought some used Supreme 3000's that are several years old but in good condition, got them off E-Bay for like $30 US or so.

As long as the boot is still good, just get new steel. Worse case you're looking at $50 for the steel, or as bulletproof-funk said, try to find a pair of Bauer skates on e-bay with the same size steel. Or visit some thrift stores around town, you can often find donor skates there for $10. That's where I send my customers looking for older SLM's.

depending on your skate size, i'd check out ebay. you can always find good deals on skates there. i bought my bauer 5000s for like 80 brand new a while back.

The runner/blade is a 280 (I think they were size 9D - something like that).

My only concern with buying new skates off of eBay is sizing. I would consider picking up a pair of Bauers, but has the sizing changed at all in the last few years?

I'd look around at some stores. My friends bought a pair of mint conditon g5's for $135 canadian. If you wait around you should be able to find a good deral on used skates.

I'd look around at some stores. My friends got a mint conditon pair of g5'd for $135 canadian. If you wait around you should be able to find a good deral on used skates.

he should ask more for g5s... if they're still mint he could sell them for $350 US or $400 at the max..

if you decide on just getting new steel, i see brand new holders/steel on ebay all the time from ppl who buy skates and immediately swap out the steel for roller chassis.

Gonna check out those Mission S500s that were on sale at Hockey Geek. Great price and probably worth biting the bullet for.

I just have to figure out the size. Anyone know how Missions fit in comparison to Bauers?

My current skates are 9D.

I can't fit CCMs because I find them too wide at the front, but would prefer a tighter ankle than what my Bauers have.

Any suggestions as to what Missions I should target?

Thanks very much.

If the boots are still sturdy and have enough enough life left in them to last at least one more season, I say go for new steel rather than entirely new skates.