Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeydad3

Skate insoles

Hello,

I´m a skating beginner in the second season. Due to a rotation-trauma of the left knee during inlineskating i couldn´t do any sport for the last 6 months.

Back on my quite new skates again i start skating about 12 rounds on a 400m course two to four times a week. My problem is that i have to concentrate a lot to get my weight balanced between my balls and heels. If i don´t concentrate my weight is automaticly on my heels and i tend to loose my balance to the back. My toes feel to be in the air and not on the insole. My skates are Graf MCI 5035 T-Blades in 6.5 they fit well, i have a good heel-lock and my toes slightly touch the front of the skates while standing. Should i try another insole? I think my arches are medium or medium-low. Here around i can get superfeet yellow/carbon pro, Bauer Speedplate and CCM custom support. Which one should i try first? Do i need a heel-lift? Or is it just a problem of skating technique or routine?

1 hour ago, hockeydad3 said:

Hello,

I´m a skating beginner in the second season. Due to a rotation-trauma of the left knee during inlineskating i couldn´t do any sport for the last 6 months.

Back on my quite new skates again i start skating about 12 rounds on a 400m course two to four times a week. My problem is that i have to concentrate a lot to get my weight balanced between my balls and heels. If i don´t concentrate my weight is automaticly on my heels and i tend to loose my balance to the back. My toes feel to be in the air and not on the insole. My skates are Graf MCI 5035 T-Blades in 6.5 they fit well, i have a good heel-lock and my toes slightly touch the front of the skates while standing. Should i try another insole? I think my arches are medium or medium-low. Here around i can get superfeet yellow/carbon pro, Bauer Speedplate and CCM custom support. Which one should i try first? Do i need a heel-lift? Or is it just a problem of skating technique or routine?

T blade has different profile replacement blades.   My question for you is how do you skate?   Long strides, lots of glide turns ? Or shorter strides  ,lots of cuts?   

I would try buying 8' and 9' profile blade incerts . It sounds like you are rocking back on your heels while crossing over and at the end of your stride . Go to the home store and buy some of the stuff that's used under floating hard wood floors. Trace your in sole onto this cut it out and try just that . One uniform height. See if anything changes.   The first thing I would try is 9' profile you will have alot more blade on the ice and less rocking to the heel 

I dislike superfeet yellow because they raised my heels and reduced the volume of my skates causing lace bite. But they might suit you. In the UK they give your money back if you dislike them, maybe same in the US. 

I love speed plates, as they take up almost no volume, but I'm not sure they'll cure your issue. 

Why not video yourself skating to help analysis?

If I may, this has been my experience as a skater and a Learn-to-Skate coach - the balance of your weight on your foot is, to me, largely correctable with technique and/or posture. Case in point - on my right leg, I have no problem centring my weight between the ball and heel under my arch. I attribute this to being a short track speed skater and spending 90% more time on the right inside edge as compared to my left. Conversely, on my left leg, I find it hard to balance on my left arch, mostly sitting on my heel. Just a year ago, even going in a straight line, I could sometimes feel the difference when pushing off the right and left leg. I'm not naturally cut out to be skater, it would seem hahaha.

Just recently, I've been focusing more on feeling my left edges. What I discovered, especially when doing crossovers, is that I tend to land my leg too far in front of my centre of balance and thus also push too much to the front; I'd always thought I was pushing to the side but based on my balance, I was pushing more to the front. I have since gone from sitting on my heels to centring my weight in the middle of my skate.

A lot of the kids I teach also have problems with balance. There are a few reasons for it, and we have methods to correct it. One problem of sitting too much on the heels is not bending the knee enough and tucking the feet under them - the toes, knees and shoulders should line up vertically. We fix that technique-wise by doing some skills that require them to bend their knees. Another thing we do is make sure the rental skates they are wearing aren't buckled too tightly at the top buckle which prevents them from pushing their knees forward and bending their knees.

In conclusion, I think your problem should be able to be fixed with technique. You could also try loosening the lacing of the top eyelet of your skate or even skipping it like Connor McDavid does; it allows much more knee flexion. I don't think the pitch of your skates hinder you from skating properly, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Hope this helps. Mark

13 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Well I´m trying to convert from short strides to long strides. I´m using the medium profile with 5/8ROH (15mm), the long profile is quite like a goalie-profile.

So  T blade doesn't have numbers for the blade profile?  They have small, medium, large?     I don't like this .   Because there is more to it then blade shape.  My suggestion is get the t blades off either by purchasing tuuks and blades or getting another pair of skates with out t blade holder  .   

The reason I say this is a profile is more than just the shape of the blade  . It's about the shape of the blade indexed by the center of gravity/ balance point  . This is a variable that changes skate brand to skate brand , and a skaters style  . It can't be done in a generic way at a factory.  

This is your second year of playing you are learning and need a consistent foundation tried and true.   I suggest getting tuuk blades installed and get a 8' profile  or buying a mid grade CCM or Bauer  and get a 8' profile cut out of the box .   This is a tried and true system that's not a gimmick or trend.  

Then invest in power skating lessons. Take a couple lessons a month and practice at public sessions or stick and puck times.  ..you will notice you start hearing your skates, getting over on the edges. ... I teach this . I'm in the Albany N.Y. area.  This has to be taught one on one   .  

17 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

T blade has different profile replacement blades.   My question for you is how do you skate?   Long strides, lots of glide turns ? Or shorter strides  ,lots of cuts?   

I would try buying 8' and 9' profile blade incerts . It sounds like you are rocking back on your heels while crossing over and at the end of your stride . Go to the home store and buy some of the stuff that's used under floating hard wood floors. Trace your in sole onto this cut it out and try just that . One uniform height. See if anything changes.   The first thing I would try is 9' profile you will have alot more blade on the ice and less rocking to the heel 

Today i did the opposite, i cut off the heel of a standard leather/foam insole for normal shoes and put it beneath my skate-insoles. It gives me a heellift of about 3mm. Went to skating today. Bad conditions, because i had to go to a crowded public skate on an outside hockey rink. Tried not to kill the kids skating and falling  around in all directions. My skates definetly had a different feel. Other Balance point, the blade gave me a more stable feeling. My weight was more on my balls and my edges moved to another area of the skates. I think this is the right way to go.

1 hour ago, Playmakersedge said:

So  T blade doesn't have numbers for the blade profile?  They have small, medium, large?     I don't like this .   Because there is more to it then blade shape.  My suggestion is get the t blades off either by purchasing tuuks and blades or getting another pair of skates with out t blade holder  .   

The reason I say this is a profile is more than just the shape of the blade  . It's about the shape of the blade indexed by the center of gravity/ balance point  . This is a variable that changes skate brand to skate brand , and a skaters style  . It can't be done in a generic way at a factory.  

This is your second year of playing you are learning and need a consistent foundation tried and true.   I suggest getting tuuk blades installed and get a 8' profile  or buying a mid grade CCM or Bauer  and get a 8' profile cut out of the box .   This is a tried and true system that's not a gimmick or trend.  

Then invest in power skating lessons. Take a couple lessons a month and practice at public sessions or stick and puck times.  ..you will notice you start hearing your skates, getting over on the edges. ... I teach this . I'm in the Albany N.Y. area.  This has to be taught one on one   .  

I went to the more expensive T-Blades because of the different profiles and the different ROH´s available, which are always consistent. Here around Munich, Germany you can´t get your skates profiled, or get reliable custum ROH´s. Only get a more or less good standard sharpening. The only acceptable sharpener in town lets you wait about three days, and the next good sharpener is 40km away. For the beginning i used the long profile in 3/4 ROH which was a very good choyce for my first steps on the ice. I´m 50 years old and last christmas was the first skate in my live. My three boys are in the hockey business for the sixth season now. And in the future i want to go to a puck and stick time with them. Maybe the next season ;-)

So it looks like i should try the superfeet insoles. The yellow cost 36€ and the carbon  pro cost 60€, are they worth the difference? What about the size? My skates are Graf 6.5, should i take size D, EU39-41?

How many people in your home are playing hockey?  It sounds like there is a need for a person to sharpen skates in your area . With multiple people playing in the family and others in your area probably frustrated with the sharpening choices  ; you should buy a machine  and learn sharpening and profiling.  It's about attention to detail and following the steps.  The machine I use. And sell in the U.S. is made in Sweden  SSM  . Look into them    

I think t blade is going to be out of the game relatively soon . I see hardly any on the ice .

3 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Today i did the opposite, i cut off the heel of a standard leather/foam insole for normal shoes and put it beneath my skate-insoles. It gives me a heellift of about 3mm. Went to skating today. Bad conditions, because i had to go to a crowded public skate on an outside hockey rink. Tried not to kill the kids skating and falling  around in all directions. My skates definetly had a different feel. Other Balance point, the blade gave me a more stable feeling. My weight was more on my balls and my edges moved to another area of the skates. I think this is the right way to go.

I went to the more expensive T-Blades because of the different profiles and the different ROH´s available, which are always consistent. Here around Munich, Germany you can´t get your skates profiled, or get reliable custum ROH´s. Only get a more or less good standard sharpening. The only acceptable sharpener in town lets you wait about three days, and the next good sharpener is 40km away. For the beginning i used the long profile in 3/4 ROH which was a very good choyce for my first steps on the ice. I´m 50 years old and last christmas was the first skate in my live. My three boys are in the hockey business for the sixth season now. And in the future i want to go to a puck and stick time with them. Maybe the next season ;-)

So it looks like i should try the superfeet insoles. The yellow cost 36€ and the carbon  pro cost 60€, are they worth the difference? What about the size? My skates are Graf 6.5, should i take size D, EU39-41?

On the insole,  I can't speak of that from my experience.  I am also 50 . I played on skates that just had thin leather. Then the insole came in skates.  I didn't feel a performance difference  either way . I can't steer you with knowledge .  I can tell so much by seeing you skate .   I'm going to give  you some steps to take in skating form these are in order: (1)  feet shoulder width a little wider is ok . (2) knees over the toes  (3) shoulders over the knee .    These three things will give you the right bend in the knees and the center of gravity in the correct spot .      This position is in stone. I call It a performance skating  position  It gives your body the room to adjust and compensate. 

Pretend you have a string at eye level  while in this position.   I am going to give you a few exercises speed isn't important.  It's all about the form  . 

Do these at the goal line all starting from performance skating position :  (1) straddle the goal line  ,on the inside edges bring both skates in ,then out propelling you . Be mindful of staying eye level with that string.  In the out side position once you got the movement then concentrate  on cutting those inside edges into the ice so you can hear it . Form ,form, form (2) put one foot on the goal line, keep it straight and on the line . Take the other foot and do the same motion as in #1 ,call It a cusp . Keep the other foot locked on that goal line . Again it's all about the form . Then switch feet when you come back . (3) straddle goal line performance skating position.  Push off with one foot then just on the opposite foot make a inside edge cusp crossing the goal line, at the goal line push with that foot and do the cusp on the oppositefoot.  Down the length of the goal line . Form form form ,you want to maintain the eye level.  (4) do the same thing using the out side edge ,alternating feet  .   (5)  this one is a telling ecsersize : straddle goal line  ,while both feet are on the ice take one foot do the inside edge cusp and transition to the outside edge and cross it behind the other foot and back out then do the same on the opposite foot.  Form is very important, knee bend and knee over the toe .     This ecsersize teaches you the position the body has to be in to utilize the inside edge on one foot and the out side on the other.   (6) Shoulder width from the boards. In performance skating position, lean your shoulder against the boards weight on the out side edge of the foot closest to the boards, keeping the shoulder to the boards cross the out side foot over so it's on the inside edge.  Then use that inside edge to support and take note of this body position then stand up using the crossed over foot .     This gives you the feel of the position of the body on a powerful cross over.  A freeze frame .And it works on those muscles.     A good cross over drives with both feet and a player can use it to generate speed . Work  on these over the weekend at as many public skating sessions as you can make.   Also once you find your self with the eye level over the string, stop and start over . 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, hockeydad3 said:

I´m a skating beginner in the second season. 

Back on my quite new skates ...

Found your problems right there. If you feel like your weight is back and toes are up I would make a healthy wager you are not bending your knees enough and you are standing up as you progress through your turns. 

From my experience wearing Bauer, CCM, and Graf (and Tour, if you count inline) skates, if you feel like you're on your heels in Grafs sorry but it's not your skate, it's you - unless T-blades have some sort of insanely aft of neutral pitch. When I switched to Graf I felt like I was going to faceplant for the first thirty minutes. They have significantly more forward pitch than other boots so I really doubt needing more heel lift is your problem. 

I swear by Superfeet in my goal skates but that's because I've been skating long enough (20 years) to actually have an idea when I need to change something with my skate. The only reason I use Superfeet is because I have extremely high arches and standing in goal for an hour they feel better than having my foot collapse down. In player skates they take up way too much volume and pitch you forward too much as someone else already mentioned. 

Get someone to check your technique before you start trying to fix it with magic insoles or pulling off holders or any of this other nonsense. Have a tech make sure your holders are straight, your blades have the same profile, and they have a reasonable pitch to rule out an actual equipment issue. Then take the money you would have spent fixing stuff that ain't broke and take some lessons. If you spend 3-4 sessions with an actual coach and still can't get up on your toes, maybe then it's time to start monkeying with stuff. At the end of the day ice skating is ice skating is ice skating in any brand with any holder, in rec skates or hockey skates or goalie skates or figure skates or your friend's skates or skates that are three sizes too big. 

17 hours ago, Flop_N_Pray said:

Found your problems right there. If you feel like your weight is back and toes are up I would make a healthy wager you are not bending your knees enough and you are standing up as you progress through your turns. 

From my experience wearing Bauer, CCM, and Graf (and Tour, if you count inline) skates, if you feel like you're on your heels in Grafs sorry but it's not your skate, it's you - unless T-blades have some sort of insanely aft of neutral pitch. When I switched to Graf I felt like I was going to faceplant for the first thirty minutes. They have significantly more forward pitch than other boots so I really doubt needing more heel lift is your problem. 

I swear by Superfeet in my goal skates but that's because I've been skating long enough (20 years) to actually have an idea when I need to change something with my skate. The only reason I use Superfeet is because I have extremely high arches and standing in goal for an hour they feel better than having my foot collapse down. In player skates they take up way too much volume and pitch you forward too much as someone else already mentioned. 

Get someone to check your technique before you start trying to fix it with magic insoles or pulling off holders or any of this other nonsense. Have a tech make sure your holders are straight, your blades have the same profile, and they have a reasonable pitch to rule out an actual equipment issue. Then take the money you would have spent fixing stuff that ain't broke and take some lessons. If you spend 3-4 sessions with an actual coach and still can't get up on your toes, maybe then it's time to start monkeying with stuff. At the end of the day ice skating is ice skating is ice skating in any brand with any holder, in rec skates or hockey skates or goalie skates or figure skates or your friend's skates or skates that are three sizes too big. 

Watching my Boys over 5 jears doing their execises during training - i know how important knee-bending is. But i dind`t have a lesson unil now. Last spring a work colleague who was figure skating in their youth went to a public skate with me, asking me to skate more upright and reduce knee-bending.

Would a heel-lift of 3mm fix incorrect technique? With the heel-lift, my skates do feel like the gliding surface has doubled. Couldn´t believe that such a small modification can have such an influence on the skate. Bending my knees more doesn´t give me that feeling. And now, how can i distinguish between a bad pitch or incorrect technique on my own?

40 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

Watching my Boys over 5 jears doing their execises during training - i know how important knee-bending is. But i dind`t have a lesson unil now. Last spring a work colleague who was figure skating in their youth went to a public skate with me, asking me to skate more upright and reduce knee-bending.

Would a heel-lift of 3mm fix incorrect technique? With the heel-lift, my skates do feel like the gliding surface has doubled. Couldn´t believe that such a small modification can have such an influence on the skate. Bending my knees more doesn´t give me that feeling. And now, how can i distinguish between a bad pitch or incorrect technique on my own?

Ok , figure skating and hockey style skating are totally different.  What is called the stroking  . Completely different.  Note they need there arms to compensate for center of gravity.  .....  the exercises I gave you will help you very much.    The most important is form .    Legs shoulder width or a little wider, knees over toes ,shoulders over knees.   ....... the drill I described with one foot crossing behind the other:  You will find it's not possible unless you're in the performance skating position.  When you stand up to straight  there isn't enough flexibility to do this, you Will find at best you will get the rear foot barely behind the front  and you will have to lean forward to do it and the rear skate will lift the back of the blade  .        Form in those drills and being smooth is the answer .

T Blades on the graf already has a substantially high heel .  I will say again T blade will not be around for the long haul.  I would get into a Bauer supreme 160 with tuuk blades and get an extra set of steels  . While one set is in use , the others are sent out getting sharpened  .      The reason I say make the change is because you are learning stability on a foundation that is lacking. 

On 12/2/2017 at 5:51 PM, hockeydad3 said:

Ok , figure skating and hockey style skating are totally different.  What is called the stroking  . Completely different.  Note they need there arms to compensate for center of gravity.  .....  the exercises I gave you will help you very much.    The most important is form .    Legs shoulder width or a little wider, knees over toes ,shoulders over knees.   ....... the drill I described with one foot crossing behind the other:  You will find it's not possible unless you're in the performance skating position.  When you stand up to straight  there isn't enough flexibility to do this, you Will find at best you will get the rear foot barely behind the front  and you will have to lean forward to do it and the rear skate will lift the back of the blade  .        Form in those drills and being smooth is the answer .

T Blades on the graf already has a substantially high heel .  I will say again T blade will not be around for the long haul.  I would get into a Bauer supreme 160 with tuuk blades and get an extra set of steels  . While one set is in use , the others are sent out getting sharpened  .      The reason I say make the change is because you are learning stability on a foundation that is lacking. 

What the heel of your insole is compensating for is your skating body mechanics not putting your weight where it needs to be .   

The profile of the blade is used differently for different movements  . In the psp I talk about your center of gravity should be just in front of your ankle bone to the ball of the foot.  This is with a neutral 8' profile .  You see there is more too this than just the amount of profile.  The center of gravity can be moved back  or forward  . You feel like you are rocking back on your heels now. This is because the center of gravity point is to far forward .  As I trying to explain each hockey boot brand has a bit different center of gravity.  And when a profile is cut on your skate there is a tool that goes in the boot toe to heel and has a pointer that is used to index the center of gravity then set the skate in the holder then set up the profile bar then the guides that fallow the bar and the adjustment of the guides establish your center of gravity point.   Another way for me to explain this center of gravity is ,in your minds eye think of the blade as a rocking chair rocker then think of a small wedge put under as you rock forward you will feel stable as long as your weight is forward  . But when you move your body weight slightly from forward the rocker rocks back over this wedge and as you go back it feels unstable like you are falling  . The once you are back you are in a reclined position and you need to make a harsh movement to get forward  over the wedge.  So what I think is a strong possibility is this wedge has to be moved back.  This way you feel stable from that point forward. 

Hypothetical: I'm assuming the children are using t blade too? 

Let' day you outfit the children and yourself with Bauer supreme 170 with tuuk with the replacement steel and bought extra set of steels for each skate . The steels are $50 round figures . Then every other week send me the steels while using the others  my zip code is 12304 N.Y. state what would that postage be ? To and from?        I don't like  T blades there are to many unknown variables   

Hallo Playmakersedge,

thanks for your offer, but I´m living in Germany. Postage and custom´s would kill me. ;-)

The one of my boys who plays center is skating on supreme 160, getting the standard team-cut. The other two are goalies. In former times i was sharpening their skates with an X02. Now i´m in divorce and they moved away to the suburb, changing the hockeyclub and i´m in a small flat in the town. No place for sharpening anymore.

Finally, i gave the superfeet carbon pro hockey a try. I don´t know if other insoles would be better, but they are definitely better than the standard insoles. Before the insole-change, they had a little too much room on the forefoot and toes and the arch support was quite not existant for me. The skates have a snug fit now. After three skatingsessions now they are feeling right.

One thing is, that there is a very little space between tying my skates too tight(ball- and archpain) or too loose(not enough ankle-support). Is this usual?

One thing is, that there is a very little space between tying my skates too tight(ball- and archpain) or too loose(not enough ankle-support). Is this usual?

Sounds like there may be a fit issue with your skates. One thing to try. When tying your skates, keep the bottom portion of the boot just snug. Then tighten the top few eyelets as needed for support. 

3 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Hallo Playmakersedge,

thanks for your offer, but I´m living in Germany. Postage and custom´s would kill me. ;-)

The one of my boys who plays center is skating on supreme 160, getting the standard team-cut. The other two are goalies. In former times i was sharpening their skates with an X02. Now i´m in divorce and they moved away to the suburb, changing the hockeyclub and i´m in a small flat in the town. No place for sharpening anymore.

Finally, i gave the superfeet carbon pro hockey a try. I don´t know if other insoles would be better, but they are definitely better than the standard insoles. Before the insole-change, they had a little too much room on the forefoot and toes and the arch support was quite not existant for me. The skates have a snug fit now. After three skatingsessions now they are feeling right.

With your skates un laced enough to pull  the tongue forward  take a pencil or pen and put it across the boot around 3rd or 4th eyelet down .The pencil or pen should go across the skate at this point and not be held  away from the boot by the foot/ankle area . My guess is it's going to hit your foot .

if this is the case you are in the wrong  skate for your foot type. 

Another thing about skate fitting is .

What I like: :  with my foot in the boot my heel seated ; I like my toes to touch the toe cap with the slightest bend . As I tightened up the skate  my toes straighten some but still touch . When I stand the toes just back away from the toe cap.  

To back up some.. when I tighten my skates I don't pull hard just give the laces a tug  @ the point of the ankle flexes forward I tug that a little harder.  The top two eyelets of my skate I put the laces threw them from the outside in and tug those a little harder.      When  I stand up I flex my knee over my toes.  Every thing seams to situate .  Done like this my ankles have minimal restriction to tilt in and out. 

It sounds to me like the replacement insoles are raising your feet in the skate  . This is making you feel like you are not going to fall back.  But it's taking your foot and putting it above the supportive structure of the skate.       Another thought is I don't know if that skate graf 5035 is a skate that baking is part of the fitting process?  If it is did you bake them? 

Hello, thanks for your answer.

i was baking the skates with the new insoles. Was skating this evening. The skates are still feeling better than before. My knees are feeling better. Had mild knee-pain before for about one day after skating. Yesterday i could make some excercises on the hockey-field. Today i was skating for about 12 rounds on the 400m-track. Seems that there are different muscles under stress now. Pain during skating and now aching of the front of my lower legs, thats new. Im trying to improfe my tying, its getting better. The pencil test: very little space between my foot and the pencil and soetimes touching the skin but not lifting the pencil. My toes slightly touching the front when standing upright, not touching the cap in hockey stance. I don´t get any blisters or sore spots. Having a good heel-lock. Seems that my skates have the right size, maybe not the perfect fit. But i think that they should be ok now for the beginning. Had a lot of luck trying the insoles. My skates are 6.5 and the runners have a length of 256mm (10,8").

You are welcome its not a big deal. I looked at the t blade site looking for info on them other then long or medium or short.   Then I started playing with making arches.  And thinking:  What if t blade was using there own language for the profile of the blade because it is different.  

What I came up with is this idea.. 6.5 skate is relatively small.   It is possible the medium on the 6.5 skate is putting the center of gravity off . Where I'm going is try a set of the short blades . 

I wonder what your skates fit is closer too a Bauer nexus or supreme  or CCM 2052 

reason I wonder is these are the only brands I can find a T blade fitment chart for . 

Bauer would take  the 256mm  ,the CCM would take  264mm    so it's possible your skate should have a longer holder and runner.   . Just a thought  . 

Well there is only a littke space of two mm at the front and one mm at the heel between the holder and the end of the base of the boot. The skates are suisse-made and the holder comes out of the factory, because the box is original graf and labelled as T-Blades. The original MCI 5035 holders are riveted. The T-Blade holders are fixed with screws through original holes in the holder and there are no additionally holes in the boot.

On the T blade fitment chart your size boot is right on the line for requiring the next size blade on Bauer. On CCM your size boot does take the next size up blade.  

So there is a 8mm length difference.   You measured the free space at either end of where the holder fastens to the boot and you have 3mm @ the heel and 2mm @ the toe .  So I think this is enough space.    My Theory is : The difference between the blade length and the length of the T blade runner length and the mounting surface is going to be the same.  So we need that variable from your blades now , with that we can figure out the length of the mounting surface of the 264mm runners holder blade holder.  I think there will be enough room .  

8mm difference in length is a ton . Because remember we are not talking about a straight line. We are talking about a radius  and the difference in length is essentially moving the apex of the radius back thus putting the center of gravity where it should be .  I believe this will fix the issue in a way the skate is being what it should be .  

I believe when graf designed that boot they did so with the holders they use regularly.      

The more I think about it the more I think changing to the 264mm is the fix