Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Santos L Halper

Profiling Kids' Steel - Thoughts?

Hey all...

So, now that my kid has his new skates (Nexus 8000s) and I'm getting ready to order some new steel from Tydan (I'll be keeping the stock steel for use on artificial ice surfaces) I'm wondering if there's ever been a consensus developed around whether or not its worth it to have youth hockey players' blades profiled.

I searched the forums and it seems that there are essentially 2 schools of thought, here:

1) Yes.  Absolutely.  Profiling youth skates can help improve a kid's skating - particularly by ensuring a matched profile is on each skate's blade and helping to instill proper forward lean.

2) Not worth it. Younger kids are too light for it to matter much, and mechanically altering a kid's steel can slow down the development of proper skating technique.

I can completely see both sides of the argument, so I'm looking for people with more knowledge of the practical benefits of profiling to educate me...and hopefully the rest of the community here.

Thanks in advance, everyone!!!

(Oh...for what it's worth, my kid is 8.5 years old, 4'8"-ish tall, 65-68 lbs. He's an excellent skater, but wants more top end speed. To that end, I'm thinking of ordering my kid's Tydan steel with a combo 9.5-10.5 radius and a minor forward pitch...)

I see no reason to not get them profiled, if nothing else so they match. 

That said, I don't see much point in doing any of the fancy schamncy profiles you see people talk about. 

Personally I think the profiles you’re considering are way too involved. 

I would do a CagOne profiling with a bigger flat profile and forward pitch. Id ask for a forward profile for one size larger than the current skates. This will provide more immediate speed and pitch. If it’s not what the skater was looking for, it’s easy to redo. 

I also wouldnt go too wild with Tydan steel for a young skater as you’ll see less than a year of tangible benefit from it. But if you insist, experiment with the stock steel until you find the profile that works, then invest in steel and profiling accordingly. 

42 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

[snip]

I also wouldnt go too wild with Tydan steel for a young skater as you’ll see less than a year of tangible benefit from it. But if you insist, experiment with the stock steel until you find the profile that works, then invest in steel and profiling accordingly. 

100% agree with this...and that's exactly what I would do if I lived someplace that has ready access to a shop that profiles skates.

Unfortunately, I'm in Southern California and no-one out here profiles skates, so I'm left to kinda guess.  One plus, I have a Sparx sharpener, so once I DO find a profile that works, said profile won't be left to the mercy of the latest surf bum that the LHSs bring in to sharpen skates...

3 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

100% agree with this...and that's exactly what I would do if I lived someplace that has ready access to a shop that profiles skates.

Unfortunately, I'm in Southern California and no-one out here profiles skates, so I'm left to kinda guess.  One plus, I have a Sparx sharpener, so once I DO find a profile that works, said profile won't be left to the mercy of the latest surf bum that the LHSs bring in to sharpen skates...

In that case I would not do it.  Not worth it if your shop can't keep it up

54 minutes ago, goalieman39 said:

In that case I would not do it.  Not worth it if your shop can't keep it up

Re-read his post. He said he had a Sparx

Younger kids can benefit from profiling while they are still learning how to best use their edges and such. A longer profile will give them more stability and speed. As they get better, get more aggressive with the profile to aid in them having better agility. 

10 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

Ok #1. Stock Bauer steel is crap. We all know this. 

#2 a Cag profile only works if the blades have a profile already on tbe skates. Stock steel hardly ever has 2 blades the same height and profile.  Dont start gettimg ancy i have used a Cag since tbe early 90's and Ben always taught me ptofile and pitch rhem first then putbthe on the Cag to ensure both are even and have tge correct flat for optimal glide.  

#3 Jim at Tydan has a Pro Balance machine so he can pitch the skate on his blademaster then do a 9-10 with a 40mm flat spot on tbe PBS machine.  And tbe quality of tge Tyden will mean it will still  e taller than stock Bauer when tbe seasons over and you sell them to a buddy with 2 set's of steel. 

Go profiled and go with Tyden my 2 cents

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:35 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Ok #1. Stock Bauer steel is crap. We all know this. 

#2 a Cag profile only works if the blades have a profile already on tbe skates. Stock steel hardly ever has 2 blades the same height and profile.  Dont start gettimg ancy i have used a Cag since tbe early 90's and Ben always taught me ptofile and pitch rhem first then putbthe on the Cag to ensure both are even and have tge correct flat for optimal glide.  

#3 Jim at Tydan has a Pro Balance machine so he can pitch the skate on his blademaster then do a 9-10 with a 40mm flat spot on tbe PBS machine.  And tbe quality of tge Tyden will mean it will still  e taller than stock Bauer when tbe seasons over and you sell them to a buddy with 2 set's of steel. 

Go profiled and go with Tyden my 2 cents

This ^^^

I had Cag One done for my skates (size8.5) for my first ever profile after 40 yrs of hockey. It made a huge difference, all of a sudden it was easier to glide,

shift into crossovers, etc. I became much more effective on the ice and was "everywhere" quicker. I moved on to

an 8'/12' combo radius and again there was a large leap forward in skating as now the whole blade was profiled, not just

the flat spot.

If you are serious about your child, yes they will benefit from it, if they are a skater. If they're an ankle burner learn to skate, maybe not so much yet...

I'm having a combo put on my 11yo AAA son after my experience. With todays options, you can always mail your blade off to have them profiled.