Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr13lcky

True Xcore 7 ACF opinions

Hey everyone. I think I’ve decided on the Xcore 7 ACF as my new stick, but I like checking in here before buying, because I know this is the one place I can get honest, unbiased feedback.

A little background: my current stick is a Nexus 1N. I recognize that I’m going from top end to mid range, but I just can’t justify the dollars for the high end sticks anymore. 

So, I guess my questions are:

1. How do they compare, again recognizing the price and (supposedly) feature differences? In other words, what do I miss out on by saving about $100?

2. True advertises a lot of patented features and “the only stick on the market with...” Are these features (Axenic molding, braided rib, xcore, etc) gimmicks, or do they really live up to the claims?

3. Assuming the answer to #2 is that it’s not just hype, why is True still lagging Bauer, CCM, Warrior, Easton in sales and NHL representation? Just because they are new, relative to the others, in the hockey stick market? Or is there any other factor I should be aware of, such as durability issues or short “pop” life or something?

As always, I appreciate the help I find with you good people. Thanks!

I haven't used a xcore 7 ACF, but I have a xcore5. The Xcore insert definitely does something. Compared to other sticks that I have used the blade seems to deaden/absorb the impact when receiving a pass and I feel like it is less prone to bounce off the blade. 

I have an old Xcore 9, and I'll second that there is something to the insert. 

I don't know why True isn't more popular in the NHL, but IMHO hockey players are creatures of habit. They tend to stick with with they know and like, and tend to be reluctant to try something new. I mean why fix what ain't broken?

Any way, True sticks tend to feel like they give you more bang for your buck at each price point when compared to other brands, but I have limited experience with their mid-tier sticks. I shot a few of them in a dryland practice area. But regardless, you won't know what you like or not until you try it. Just because it has a bunch of features doesn't guarantee it will be right for you.

3 hours ago, specs78 said:

I haven't used a xcore 7 ACF, but I have a xcore5. The Xcore insert definitely does something. Compared to other sticks that I have used the blade seems to deaden/absorb the impact when receiving a pass and I feel like it is less prone to bounce off the blade. 

Agreed. The insert is no gimmick. It works! 

4 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I have an old Xcore 9, and I'll second that there is something to the insert. 

I don't know why True isn't more popular in the NHL, but IMHO hockey players are creatures of habit. They tend to stick with with they know and like, and tend to be reluctant to try something new. I mean why fix what ain't broken?

Any way, True sticks tend to feel like they give you more bang for your buck at each price point when compared to other brands, but I have limited experience with their mid-tier sticks. I shot a few of them in a dryland practice area. But regardless, you won't know what you like or not until you try it. Just because it has a bunch of features doesn't guarantee it will be right for you.

Great advice, puckpilot! Nothing wrong with giving it a shot. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Like I said, I was 90% sure about going with a True stick, but I like to get expert opinions whenever possible.

Plus, I really wanna try that TC3 curve!

I had an Xcore 7 and liked it very much. I have felt like the blades on all of my True sticks went soft a little quicker than I expected, but not so much so that I don't buy them. 

My other go to is Nexus sticks, so I don't think you're making a huge jump in how they play.  

For the money, the only real difference between the 7 and 9 is the weight. If you don't mind the little extra weight, the xcore is an awesome stick. I have 3 of them, one retail Xcore 9 and 2 pro stock Marner's. I don't think I'm going to move away from this stick for a while. I'm a mid kick shooter and this stick has it all. Good luck with the purchase, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Howdy,

I've had a couple XCore9's and an XCore7.

I 2nd the "insert does something".  For me, the puck seems to die more when receiving passes, making it a bit easier to control.

I've always gotten the blade chipping around the insert and then the blade starts feeling "vibrate-y"... It feels kinda like there are a couple layers of material there so when you tap the puck or whatever its not a solid 'thunk', its more of a vibrate-y buzz kinda thing.  I don't know that it took anything off my shots though.  In the end, I decided that since I'm pretty new I'd go with non-insert sticks vs. using them so much that I had to have one, when there's only one manufacturer making them.

Mark

I also get chipping around the insert. No buzzing I have noted, but the chips can be sharp! I ran my finger across the bottom of the blade one time and a nice sharp little piece buried itself in my finger like a splinter. It wouldn't prevent me from getting another, but lesson learned.

The damping is not life altering, but I had been playing with a whippier stick and a livelier blade and was really struggling to control hard passes. The Xcore immediately made that easier. I have since gone to a slightly stiffer non Xcore stick and have found that I can also receive passes more easily. Nice stick though, I still use it pretty regularly and like it, and would definitely get another one if i came across a good deal.