Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
colins

CCM Skate Sizing - What changed & when

I'm still trying to fully understand what changed in the sizing of the CCM skate lineup, particularly with the Jetspeed / FT1 line, between 2015 and now.

Here's what I know:

- The 2015 Jetspeed size 8.5D had a 280 holder and was listed as 27.3 cm on the sizing tag.

- The 2017 FT390 size 8.5D has a smaller 272 holder. I don't know what size in cm is listed on the tag - can someone confirm? I'm guessing 27.3.

- The 2017 FT390 size 9D has a 280 holder and is listed as 27.7 cm on the sizing tag.

The sizing chart for runners confirms the above, but says the sizes changed after 2014-2015. It lists 2016 CCM skates in the downsized holders (8.5 as a 272 instead of 280). I guess if the FT1 technically first shipped in 2016 this would be correct - did it? I can see customers having a hard time ordering the right sized runners if they bought Jetspeeds in 2016 and went by the sizing chart for CCM runners listed on hockeymonkey's site without actually checking their holder size printed on the holder.

So - what I don't understand is - why does a 8.5D FT380 use a 272 holder and a 8.5D Jetspeed use a 280 holder, while both skates seem to have the holder mounted as close to the heel/toe as possible, yet the sizing labels indicates one should be 4 mm shorter than the other? In trying them on, I would say the 8.5D Jetspeed and 9D FT380 are much closer in real fit than the half size and 4mm indicated on the sizing label. The holder sizes seem to also re-enforce this.

So I'm speculating that the way they measure/label has changed, but there's no difference in boot size between the 8.5D Jetspeed and 9D FT380, despite the .4 mm discrepancy on the size tag.

Can anyone explain in simple terms this holder sizing / boot sizing change that occurred between the Jetspeed and FT1 line? Did retailers receive any additional info on this - or was the advice just to 'make sure customers try them on, we've adjusted our sizing'?

colins

Edited by colins
improved clarity

Simple answer - and it's an answer I've used for a very long time - mm don't lie.

It was simply a tag switch.  Sizing wasn't adjusted.  CCM wanted to simplify the process for Bauer converts.

I've always been on the "small" side of a 296mm holder.  The only exception on this was Supreme skates, in which they were sized with the 2.1 holder in mind.  The 10.5 was mounted with a 288mm holder which looked small on the skate, but with the 2.1 steel, it was a 296.  Once you figure it out, it's the best way to determine your size in every brand.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Simple answer - and it's an answer I've used for a very long time - mm don't lie.

It was simply a tag switch.  Sizing wasn't adjusted.  CCM wanted to simplify the process for Bauer converts.

I've always been on the "small" side of a 296mm holder.  The only exception on this was Supreme skates, in which they were sized with the 2.1 holder in mind.  The 10.5 was mounted with a 288mm holder which looked small on the skate, but with the 2.1 steel, it was a 296.  Once you figure it out, it's the best way to determine your size in every brand.

JR - so that I understand what you're saying - we should trust the holder mm (280) and not the size label mm (27.7cm on tthe 9D FT390 sizing label, 27.3cm on the 8.5D Jetspeed sizing label)?

I think what you're re-enforcing and what I've also discovered in the process, is that the old 8.5D Jetspeed boots now carry the 9D sizing label on the new FT390 (along with a few design tweaks), but are otherwise the same dimensions. 

Maybe @BelangerJS could chime in with his perspective. This really threw me for a loop - at first away from the FT line, and now back again that we understand it's not 'like for like' coming from the Jetspeeds unless you move up half a size to find your same fit.

colins

Edited by colins

Hi Colins, thanks for tagging me on this although you have it pretty much figured out.

In 2016, with the launch of the original Super Tacks line, we adjusted our sizing tags and moved everything in the new Super Tacks line a half-size up from the JetSpeed line. This was going to be the new sizing for all new products for CCM moving forward (and still relevant for today's launches). Which means that:

• 8D JetSpeed (2015) with 272 holder = 8.5D Super Tacks with 272 holder
  • 8.5D JetSpeed (2015) with 280 holder = 9D Super Tacks with 280 holder 

Even though we continued to sell the JetSpeed line in 2016, we did not make the change midway through its lifecycle and didn't make the sizing-label changes on that line. We made the change in 2017 with the launch of the "FT-line"

So for full clarity, here is how the sizing tags work right up to until this year's launch:

• 8D JetSpeed (2015) line =
    • 8.5D Super Tacks line
    • 8.5D JetSpeed FT1 line
    • 8.5D Super Tacks AS1 line
    • every one of these models with 272 holder
  • 8.5D JetSpeed (2015) line =
    • 9D Super Tacks line
    • 9D JetSpeed FT1 line
    • 9D Super Tacks AS1 line

I hope this helps, let me know if i can be of any more assistance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BelangerJS said:

Hi Colins, thanks for tagging me on this although you have it pretty much figured out.

In 2016, with the launch of the original Super Tacks line, we adjusted our sizing tags and moved everything in the new Super Tacks line a half-size up from the JetSpeed line. This was going to be the new sizing for all new products for CCM moving forward (and still relevant for today's launches). Which means that:

• 8D JetSpeed (2015) with 272 holder = 8.5D Super Tacks with 272 holder
  • 8.5D JetSpeed (2015) with 280 holder = 9D Super Tacks with 280 holder 

Even though we continued to sell the JetSpeed line in 2016, we did not make the change midway through its lifecycle and didn't make the sizing-label changes on that line. We made the change in 2017 with the launch of the "FT-line"

So for full clarity, here is how the sizing tags work right up to until this year's launch:

• 8D JetSpeed (2015) line =
    • 8.5D Super Tacks line
    • 8.5D JetSpeed FT1 line
    • 8.5D Super Tacks AS1 line
  • 8.5D JetSpeed (2015) line =
    • 9D Super Tacks line
    • 9D JetSpeed FT1 line
    • 9D Super Tacks AS1 line

I hope this helps, let me know if i can be of any more assistance.

Thanks JS

I believe your 2nd last sentence there should read 'every one of these models with the 280 holder'. Thanks for the definitive, thread closing feedback! This is all the info anyone moving from the original Jetspeeds to the current lineup needs to know w.r.t sizing.

My oldest son had his first skate last night in his new 9D Jetspeed Control skates (custom Source for Sports SKU - FT380 boot with upgraded Composite outsole w/vent from the FT390 and upgraded tongue from the FT1, and +2mm Speedblade Stainless). I've had the opportunity to compare these skates side by side with a pair of X900 gen II that I bought for him at first when he couldn't seem to find a good fit in the new FT1 line (the sizing change threw us for a loop!). He tried 4 or 5 hours on the ice with the X900s but just couldn't get the feel he wanted coming from the old Jetspeeds.

The Control skate at $499 MSRP (Canada) is a better built skate vs. the $799 X900. I wasn't impressed with the X900 holders (one is mounted crooked vs. the other, visibly noticeable), and the rear of one of the boots has a small puncture hole already after just a few hours use, not even real game action. He got a full (intense) season last year from his Jetspeeds without any structural damage to the boot - it was the eyelets that gave out.

The Control even weighs in a bit less @ 861g with Stepsteel installed vs. 867g for the X900 with stock LS3.

Now to just figure out how to prevent the CCM embossed eyelets from corroding on him - we're going to adjust our maintenance routine to see if we can avoid the corrosion and eventual failure of the eyelets that we saw on both previous pairs of Jetspeeds he's owned.

Thanks again!

colins

Edited by colins
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, colins said:

Now to just figure out how to prevent the CCM embossed eyelets from corroding on him - we're going to adjust our maintenance routine to see if we can avoid the corrosion and eventual failure of the eyelets that we saw on both previous pairs of Jetspeeds he's owned.

This is my only real disappointment with the CCM line atm. I'd happily pay a few extra bucks per skate for a better eyelet. The ones they use now, and have previously used in the past, are just crap. Sweat reacts with them and they break down exceptionally fast versus other brands such as Bauer, Mission, Alkali. I've tried a lot of things on my Jetspeeds and other peoples CCM skates: wax, waterproof sealant, wash and dry after every skate (real pita), anti corrosive marine paint etc. Nothing worked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

This is my only real disappointment with the CCM line atm. I'd happily pay a few extra bucks per skate for a better eyelet. The ones they use now, and have previously used in the past, are just crap. Sweat reacts with them and they break down exceptionally fast versus other brands such as Bauer, Mission, Alkali. I've tried a lot of things on my Jetspeeds and other peoples CCM skates: wax, waterproof sealant, wash and dry after every skate (real pita), anti corrosive marine paint etc. Nothing worked. 

I'm going to monitor the situation much closer - and replace eyelets 3/4/5 at the first sign of damage to prevent his laces from ripping through the boot again.

colins

38 minutes ago, colins said:

I'm going to monitor the situation much closer - and replace eyelets 3/4/5 at the first sign of damage to prevent his laces from ripping through the boot again.

colins

I recently had this happen to me on a pair of Bauer skates that had less than 30 hours on them.  I looked at the rest of the eyelets and all of the 2nd/3rd eyelets on both skates were cracked, bent, etc. So Bauer is using crappy eyelets too.

@BelangerJS was this the case for pro stock boots as well?

I.e would a pro stock 2015 Jetspeed in a 7.5D/A be the same length as a pro stock 8D/A FT1- all else held constant??

Edited by Cavs019

3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I.e would a pro stock 2015 Jetspeed in a 7.5D/A be the same length as a pro stock 8D/A FT1- all else held constant??

Based on the info provided, that sounds like a safe bet. The 2015 Jetspeed line didn't change even though it was sold through 2016. The FT1's all had the new sizing.

colins

On 6/1/2018 at 10:29 AM, Cavs019 said:

as per @colins, you are correct. Same length, pro stock included.