Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dc00

Bauer runner loose in edge holder

Not sure if anyone experienced this problem:

Bauer fusion edge runner is loose in runner, especially the front portion. I can rattle it with two fingers. The skate is MX3 that's used for over a year. The runners are relatively new. I don't know if it will affect skating but it's definitely causing a concern. 

Any advice on what to do?

Edited by dc00

There are a couple of threads on this issue, you can try putting teflon pipe tape on top of the blades to tighten up the gap or replace the holder. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dc00 said:

Not sure if anyone experienced this problem:

Bauer fusion edge runner is loose in runner, especially the front portion. I can rattle it with two fingers. The skate is MX3 that's used for over a year. The runners are relatively new. I don't know if it will affect skating but it's definitely causing a concern. 

Any advice on what to do?

If you search here and in other forums, there are many posts / comments about the edge holder and the runner coming loose in them. Bauer should apologise to the hockey community for this travesty they have released on the general public. If you can, go back to where you got them from and complain. Otherwise as Monty22 says, replace or try Teflon tape. It's really noticeable when you put the boot into the clamp for a sharpen, the boot flops downwards alarmingly. I use Teflon tape all the time when the customer does not want to pay for new holders, oversize it and then hammer the runner into place. It's a short term fix as eventually the runner starts to come loose again.

and yes it is a concern, it means your edge is shifting under you as you skate and it will only get worse the longer you leave it. 

• Like 3

You don't use multiple sets of runners do you?  If not, for the people that don't want new holders I use this guide:

https://blogs.sparxhockey.com/stop-the-clicking-fix-your-loose-steel-with-this-hockey-hack

Honestly though, part of the problem might be the fusion steel too.  There is a reason that Bauer discontinued it.  It gets loose quicker, in my experience, than the regular blades do in the edge holders because of the aluminum on the top half of the blade.

Clear tape seems working great! It's no longer loose. I hope it'll stay in place so I don't have to do this too often. 🙂

What a relief. Thanks again.