Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Novotnoa

Not bulky elbow pad

I’ve been wearing some Easton stealth c5.0 elbow pads for like 5 years and they’re getting pretty worn out. I Always found them to be too bulky and they blocked full arm extension. I was wondering what brand/line would be less bulky but still protective enough for a defensemen playing Minnesota AA varsity hockey. Also is it worth paying for expensive elbow pads.

At your level with checking I'd want some significant protection.  Good value for me - and pretty mobile - is the CCM 7092.  Lighter and a bit less bulky than the Tacks but I'd argue a tad less protective of course.  The FT1 line is not my cup of tea but slimmer lines and worth consideration.  I know some people that liked the last few years of thew model design a lot and I expect that to continue into the new model cycleThat being said, this is all personal preference and you need to try stuff on and see what you like.

• Like 3

STX Surgeon 500 pads are 3 piece mobile pads and should be on clearance since the new Surgeon line is coming out soon.

The CCM RBZ, QLT and new Jetspeeds are worth consideration as well.

If you can find them, the old blue and grey Warrior Projekts from 2012 are my favourite pads of all time. They're a very mobile, light, 3 piece pad that also have a good level of protection. I have seen size large pro stocks on eBay recently. 

As dkmiller mentioned, it is worth getting a higher end pad for competitive hockey with checking. It doesn't have to be a current model though; you can get often get an older high end model for less than the price a current line mid-end pad. 

3 hours ago, althoma1 said:

STX Surgeon 500 pads are 3 piece mobile pads and should be on clearance since the new Surgeon line is coming out soon.

The CCM RBZ, QLT and new Jetspeeds are worth consideration as well.

If you can find them, the old blue and grey Warrior Projekts from 2012 are my favourite pads of all time. They're a very mobile, light, 3 piece pad that also have a good level of protection. I have seen size large pro stocks on eBay recently. 

As dkmiller mentioned, it is worth getting a higher end pad for competitive hockey with checking. It doesn't have to be a current model though; you can get often get an older high end model for less than the price a current line mid-end pad. 

I have to agree with the STX surgeon models. The new RX series are even better than the previous ones, but they are all excellent. 

• Like 1

For mobility, I am a huge fan of 3 piece elbows.  I had the STX Surgeon 500s and they were nice and very mobile.  I did switch to the CCM Quick Lites and I like them even more.  I couldn't really tell you why I just do.  Both are pretty low profile as well.

I tried some on and here’s what I thought. My favorite were the 1s pads because of the sleeve that they have integrated; however, I cannot justify spending $150 on elbows. Next would be the tacks line, the 7092s were a great fit and had great protection. Then was the vapors which were comfortable but only seemed to have hard enough caps in the 1x lite and x900 lite. I wasn’t a fan of the jetspeeds, they just didn’t have enough room for my arm to fit well. They didn’t have any stx gear which I would like to try out so I didn’t buy anything. I’m gonna see if I can find some otherwise i think I’m gonna buy the 7092s. 

• Like 2

I have the 7092's and really like them. Not too bulky but good protection and are the descendents of the Jofa elbow pads that everyone seems to drool over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Novotnoa said:

I tried some on and here’s what I thought. My favorite were the 1s pads because of the sleeve that they have integrated; however, I cannot justify spending $150 on elbows. Next would be the tacks line, the 7092s were a great fit and had great protection. Then was the vapors which were comfortable but only seemed to have hard enough caps in the 1x lite and x900 lite. I wasn’t a fan of the jetspeeds, they just didn’t have enough room for my arm to fit well. They didn’t have any stx gear which I would like to try out so I didn’t buy anything. I’m gonna see if I can find some otherwise i think I’m gonna buy the 7092s. 

The 7092 is a good elbow, it just feels a bit bulky to me. 

1 hour ago, Novotnoa said:

Yes, the CCM Jetspeed line and it's ancestors (CL, RBZ, QLT) are a bit snug in the upper arm area. They're a nice 3 piece pad, but are quite tight if you don't have thin arms. That's one of the reasons I like my old Warrior Projekts; they flare out in the bicep area, but are snug around the elbow and forearm. My biceps aren't huge or anything, but I do find them more comfortable with the flare of the bicep protector.

The STX Surgeon line is definitely worth trying if you can find them - they have a sleeve similar to the 1S you like: https://www.hockeymonkey.com/stx-hockey-elbow-pads-surgeon-500-sr.html. They're not easy to find in my area (I've only seen the gloves in a few stores), but I've seen them on trips to the US at stores like Perani's, Hockey Monkey and even in small rink pro shops. You can use the dealer locator on their site and then perhaps call the stores to check stock before driving there: https://www.stx.com/find-a-dealer.

Also note that the Stallion line is a bit bulkier than the Surgeon line; so if mobility and lack of bulk is a priority it's the Surgeon line you're after. It of course doesn't hurt to try on both. 

Edited by althoma1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Yes, the CCM Jetspeed line and it's ancestors (CL, RBZ, QLT) are a bit snug in the upper arm area. They're a nice 3 piece pad, but are quite tight if you don't have thin arms. That's one of the reasons I like my old Warrior Projekts; they flare out in the bicep area, but are snug around the elbow and forearm. My biceps aren't huge or anything, but I do find them more comfortable with the flare of the bicep protector.

The STX Surgeon line is definitely worth trying if you can find them - they have a sleeve similar to the 1S you like: https://www.hockeymonkey.com/stx-hockey-elbow-pads-surgeon-500-sr.html. They're not easy to find in my area (I've only seen the gloves in a few stores), but I've seen them on trips to the US at stores like Perani's, Hockey Monkey and even in small rink pro shops. You can use the dealer locator on their site and then perhaps call the stores to check stock before driving there: https://www.stx.com/find-a-dealer.

Also note that the Stallion line is a bit bulkier than the Surgeon line; so if mobility and lack of bulk is a priority it's the Surgeon line you're after. It of course doesn't hurt to try on both. 

It going to be even more difficult to find STX moving forward as they are pulling all of their gear out of stores and going customer direct. 

😞

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

It going to be even more difficult to find STX moving forward as they are pulling all of their gear out of stores and going customer direct. 

😞

That's not good. I don't see how that will be a good thing for them long term.