Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hollowicked

Wrist Surgery Recovery

Has anyone had wrist surgery and if so what was the time frame you were able to play again post surgery? I was in a car accident back in May and have been in a cast basically since, I broke my wrist and had multiple surgeries now based on torn ligaments. My final surgery to remove the pins in my wrist is scheduled for next Thursday and I start PT after that. Dr was telling me 2-3 months but was curious if anyone had any first hand experience here.

Not the wrist, but there's this thread on the recovery after a broken ankle. It may at least be somewhat helpful as far as recovery and expectations.

On the bright side (if you can find one), at least when its the wrist you could wear a brace for some extra support. I couldn't ever fit a brace into my skate boot so that wasn't an option. That said, the boot provided more support than a brace would have anyway 😉 

Broken wrist on 7/15/18. No surgery needed.  Dr said i had a better chance of getting hit by lighting than having a break like mine and not needing surgery.  Cast came off two weeks ago.  I tried just some stick n shoot time last sat.  I hurt like the dickens when i tried to shoot.  I am still doing the pt.  Little better every day.  If you have been a cast for that long you will be amazed at the strength you lost.  I couldn't even open a soda bottle.  Do what they tell ya and make sure you you do the pt excerises. Best of luck.

It all depends on a number of factors: severity of the injury, skill of the surgeon, your recovery rate, PT discipline, age. I've coached a number of players with broken wrists, some were back in 2 months with no issues, others took 6 months before the pain really started to go away during shooting. I had my heel operated on last Sept and the surgeon said 6 months, another said a year before it was behind me. I still can't load the achillies up properly without discomfit, just month by month slow improvement.